SRV Distorted Blues : Tubescreamer and what amp?

metalmania13

• Members

You're going the wrong direction if you wanna play SRV type stuff. You need a nice tube amp, Fender style, at the very least. SRV used several amps at once and they were all CRANKED. His main thing was using tube amps cranked for very loud volumes but with ton of clean headroom.

mJ

• Members

you can probably get a blackface bandmaster for cheap, easily less than 600. hell, a friend of mine almost bought a tweed Bassman head for less than that (about 550), and you'd be hard-pressed to find something better for that sound than an old Fender with a TS808 up front.

• Members

From what I understand SRV used the TS-808 with a Fender Twin. The newer TS-9's can be modded to get more of the TS808 sound, and that may be the cheapest way to go if you can't shell out the clams for a Twin (they run a couple hundred more than 600).

• Members

Originally posted by DadOBoogins

From what I understand SRV used the TS-808 with a Fender Twin. The newer TS-9's can be modded to get more of the TS808 sound, and that may be the cheapest way to go if you can't shell out the clams for a Twin (they run a couple hundred more than 600).

He actually used modded Vibroverbs, Marshall Plexis and Dumbles...

just get the Fender tube amp that sounds the nicest to you + a TS-808.

• Members

yes, get a Silver Face Super reverb, (non master). You might be able to find one cheap.

Stevie used lots of amps, but in general, a fender is what you want. They have the '65 Super Reverb reissues. Check out a Hot Rod Deville, not a bad choice.

Jack

• Members
Originally posted by DadOBoogins

He hated Twins from what I've heard. He used lots of amps and multi-amp setups. Bassmans,Supers,and even Marshalls. Good choices for you would be Deluxe,Bandmaster Reverb,Super,Peavey Delta Blues,etc.

• Members

You're all ignoring the .13 strings and Fuzz Faces.

Be sure to use like a 5% overwind strat PU too.. think Fralin Blues Special.

Honestly, if you want to sound like SRV on a budget? Fender Vibrolux RI, TS808 reissue, and a quality germanium Fuzz Face clone. Obviously make sure you're playing a strat. You're looking at about a grand, but it's one hell of a setup. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by rememberduane

He seldom actually used a full 13 set,whatever it might consist of. And one of his favorite guitars was the Strat with lipsticks in it. Hardly overwound.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

He seldom actually used a full 13 set,whatever it might consist of. And one of his favorite guitars was the Strat with lipsticks in it. Hardly overwound.

Just my experience. Stevie always had a warmer tone with fatter mids. Typically an overwind will add some mids and cut some highs. I'm not really saying how Stevie got his sound, just how an average joe could get close without being God.

• Members
Originally posted by rememberduane

Honestly, if you want to sound like SRV on a budget? Fender Vibrolux RI, TS808 reissue, and a quality germanium Fuzz Face clone. Obviously make sure you're playing a strat. You're looking at about a grand, but it's one hell of a setup.
:thu:

Yup!

Vibrolux-2.jpg

• Members

when i was using the yellow jackets in the outer sockets, my mark III could get some nice SRV'ish tones

i can get a similar vibe with the el34/6l6 mix but the yellow jackets just felt a lot more natural for that kinda thing

in my experience, the best boost i've found for that kinda sound is the maxon od808...but i just got mine, and am still in the honeymoon phase :D

http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead_markvoodoo_maxon.mp3

• Members

Originally posted by metalmania13

I love playing blues with the kind of overdrive SRV uses, but with my Roland Cube I cannot come close.

If I bought a TS-9, what amp would suit it well....

try the clean channel on your cube with the mids cut back and a tubescreamer, it will sorta get you there

• Members

Like others have said, just get a nice Fender tube amp, a Strat and a tubescreamer, and you will be very close to the sound you are wanting. If you are looking into trading out your pickups, you should check out the Fender "Texas Specials". They will get you even one step closer.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

If I remember correctly, Stevie actually hovered around .11s and .12s. Like you said.. very seldom used .13s.

The pickups in Number One were supposedly overwound by accident when they were made, apparently that gave it a thicker sound. Stevie liked to use certain guitars for certain songs. I don't think Charlie (lipstick), Lenny, and all the other Strats were used very often. But.. there are plenty of pictures out there of him using them live, so who knows?

• Members

Blackface Bassman is a nice place to start...you can get a Silverface and have it modded to Blackface specs probably for cheaper than the Blackfaces go.

I really want a Blackface Deluxe Reverb RI head/cab right now :(

• Members

Originally posted by gibbed

try the clean channel on your cube with the mids cut back and a tubescreamer, it will sorta get you there

here's my very half assed SRV sound with a $20 ibanez TS7 and my cube 15

http://depot.northwestern.edu/eno819/stuff/cube15.mp3

also, that's played through a high output neck pickup on my agile lp copy, not a single coil on a strat

• Members

Originally posted by metalmania13

I love playing blues with the kind of overdrive SRV uses, but with my Roland Cube I cannot come close.

If I bought a TS-9, what amp would suit it well....

amp hopefully >$600

and not too loud, I play with band, but I also play at home.

SRV is an easy sound to nail

Ash strat + heavy strings + good hands

Some kind of nice overdrive (like a tubescreamer) and an amp that has a 4x10 cabinet

The 4x10 cabinet matters a lot...To me...that is the heart of the texas blues sound...so when amp shopping...make certain to get something with 10 inch speakers.

Archived