'59 Bassman reissue: LTD vs plain vanilla?

rog951

• Members

Guys,

I know someone on here knows the answer...what are the differences between the plain ol' '59 Bassman 4x10 Reissue combo and the "LTD" version? I just bought what was advertised as being an LTD but when I got to the guy's house it was actually just a plain old RI. I still bought it, but now I'm wondering about the differences. Bottom line, I plugged up and played a bit last night and it sounds really nice. Anyway, I'd appreciate any info, or links to info, you guys could provide. Thanks!

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Doug's Tubes

The first reissue had the rectifier socket, but it shipped with the SS plug. Easy switch.

Doug, is it literally a swap? I mean like yank the diode bridge can and stick in a 5AR4? Or is there any internal modification?

• Members

Originally posted by Craggan

the pine cab makes a big differance .. that was the nail in he coffin for me .. I bought one. Amazing amp.

Yeah, I wonder what the cab on my early reissue is made of. I guess just regular birch ply? I dunno how resonant mine is, but when I play it loud, the room starts to smell like cigar smoke! ;) I'm not exaggerating! :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by DeathMonkey

I have the LTD, and I think the speakers might be different as well - Fender made vs RI Jensens. Either way, great sounding amp!

Yeah, I wondered about that. The LTD's speakers have a Jensen sticker on the magnets. The speakers in mine look exactly the same to me (frame and magnet structure anyway) but they have no sticker. Hmmmm...

Archived