Songs you're banned from playing (or forced to play but hate)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed on that one too. There are probably at least a million songs with modulations. I never liked modulated songs, well maybe one or two, but don't remember which ones.

P.S: don't remember which ones because I probably didn't like them that much:lol:

• Members

but is anyone other than me annoyed at people who write songs (mostly in the house or ambient crowds) that go on for several minutes over the same chord without ever changing?

I wouldn;t say it usually annoys me, but only because i usually hit the stop button on the youtube/souncloud/soundclick player after the first dozen or so.

• Members

Or, even better, 962 key changes:

Well, even that depends. You can get away with 962 key changes if you are art rock.

[YOUTUBE]d-dd4fMUhAY[/YOUTUBE]

Classical music, even more so, can get away with 962 key changes. (Actually, if I recall, this rather famous work has no key signature at all...)

[YOUTUBE]L0bcRCCg01I[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Personally, I have issued a moratorium on Mustang Sally.

I always got the impression my ex had a particulr dislike of that song... it might have been the time a 50s covers band he was in played it at a small town summer fair, without realising that the week before (they were not from around there) a girl called Sally had been killed in a traffic accident.:facepalm:

• Members

Should we start a thread on songs we are FORCED to play that we detest? For example, without fail, I am forced to play Jump and Final Countdown every show. I can live with Jump because Van Halen rules all. But Final Countdown has been labeled the gayest and/or cheesiest song ever. It makes me cry every time we play it.

• Members

I'm emceeing a four-day ribfest/music festival loaded with local players. The fellow doing the hiring was singer with The Bells ("Stay Awhile") and the first day or so have had their share of MOR.

If I hear Margaritaville again, violence may ensue. It's a tuneful and clever song, but enough is enough. At three plays the first day, it took an early lead but is currently tied with "Oh, Lonesome Me" --- the Kentucky Headhunters version for some reason.

No-one, yet, has sung Mustang Sally.

edit: the token "rockabilly" band STARTED with Margaritaville, which brings to total to four. I am sending this from jail.

• Members

i'm not allowed to play songs i don't know how to play.

Thanks to me, the nice American family that adopted me for most of the 00's hates all pianos and all piano music- especially anything that sounds remotely like practice. I try to make it up to them by cutting their grass and cooking burgers on their grill.

• Members
Thanks to me, the nice American family that adopted me for most of the 00's hates all pianos and all piano music

When I jokingly played Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" one practice, our bass player thought it sounded like a piano exercise. :lol:

(So, I guess you aren't allowed to play that one.

Which probably is fine with you. :) )

• Members
When I jokingly played Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" one practice, our bass player thought it sounded like a piano exercise.
:lol:

Which probably is fine with you.
:)
)

No, I actually never played that one, but it probably would have gone over better than my usual. I think "Linus and Lucy" was the only tune I ever got requests for. Maybe should have tried "Music Box Dancer."

As a kid, my Mother hated my fascination with honky-tonk ragtime. She was afraid that I would end up playing in bars, I think.

• Members
When I jokingly played Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" one practice, our bass player thought it sounded like a piano exercise.
:lol:

Which probably is fine with you.
:)
)

sadly, we do this one too.

:cry:

• Members

I bought it and realised, having failed to notice this before, that John Williams ripped it off totally for Star Wars. My brain puts "The Death Star has cleared the planet" in the background.

I would call it an "inspired by" more than a total rip off. Holst's "The Planets" has been a huge influence on a heck of a lot of sci-fi / action scores, and reportedly Mars was one of the temp tracks on the Star Wars working prints. So there's bound to be some similarities.

The only soundtrack I thought had a little too much borrowing for comfort was the battle sections of Hans Zimmer's "The Gladiator". (The Holst estate thought so too, and sued over that one -- doubt they won, but still.)

• Members

Some guys and me were trying to form a band in 2001 to play in pubs

Songs we played that I liked -
UFO - profession of violence, Gary Moore Still got the blues, Highway star, Temple of the king

Songs I hated to play
Final Countdown , Smoke On the Water, I will Survive

• Members

This is a true story. When I joined the band that I am currently in, I told them that under no circumstances would I play "Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seger. That song absolutely makes me cringe.

A year goes by, a drunk requests it at a private party. My band mates were begging me to play it= after all, we are there to please the audience. I refused. So then, the drunk coughed up $200 for us to play the song. Couldn't turn that offer down, so I guess we are all prostitutes.

• Members
This is a true story. When I joined the band that I am currently in, I told them that under no circumstances would I play "Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seger. That song absolutely makes me cringe.

A year goes by, a drunk requests it at a private party. My band mates were begging me to play it= after all, we are there to please the audience. I refused. So then, the drunk coughed up $200 for us to play the song. Couldn't turn that offer down, so I guess we are all prostitutes.

If your intention was to ask, are you really a slut.

The answer is YES, no denying :cop:

Archived