Tone on ReLoad

fistertain

• Members

Say what you want about the musical content, but man isn't that guitar tone WONDERFUL?! Those are Mesa Recs right? Does anyone know if they are moded or not? The tone is so good it makes me want to go out and buy a Dual Rec right now. Just listen to Carpe Diem Baby and Where the Wild Things Are, that is some BALSY tone!

• Members

Originally posted by fistertain

Say what you want about the musical content, but man isn't that guitar tone WONDERFUL?! Those are Mesa Recs right? Does anyone know if they are moded or not? The tone is so good it makes me want to go out and buy a Dual Rec right now. Just listen to Carpe Diem Baby and Where the Wild Things Are, that is some BALSY tone!

Go to Monty Jays website for a break down on the rig on Re-Load. Metallica does not actually play rectos all that much. Jaymz's tone up until the black album was a mark iic+. Load-Reload-St. Anger is a cocktail of Amps Diezel, Mesa, Marshall, and Roland JC-120..etc Basically, load was when they first started expermenting

• Members

Wizard Modern Classic, a modded Marshall, his mainstay Mesa Mark IIc+, and his live rig which was basically 4 Mesa triaxis pre-amps and stradegy 400 power amps. All that through custom Marshall and Mesa cabs. I don't think James used Diezels until St. Anger, but I could be wrong.

And yes, I love the guitar tone on Load and ReLoad!!

• Members

found this:

Kirk Hammett: "My philosophy has always been a clean amp with a stomp box. I hate the sound of piling distortion on top of distortion. [it sounds like he's criticizing using a mix of preamp and power amp distortion.] I was using a MESA/Boogie preamp, but I've gone back to the ADA MP-1 [the first preamp to combine MIDI and a preamp vacuum tube] with an ADA programmable EQ through a MESA/Boogie Strategy 400 power amp. For leads, I use a low gain setting on the ADA MP-1, but switch on an Ibanez Tube Screamer. Using the Tube Screamer in conjunction with a tube amp really brings out the tube qualities of the amp. And there's just something about that simple, raw, gritty fuzz box sound. One of the best lead sounds I ever got was when I played an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff through a Montgomery Ward amp with 3" speaker, for a Jeff Beck tone."

Guitar Player Oct 1992 pg 46

read this

Not load tone... but interesting.

• Members
Originally posted by ezweave

found this:

Kirk Hammett: "My philosophy has always been a clean amp with a stomp box. I hate the sound of piling distortion on top of distortion. [it sounds like he's criticizing using a mix of preamp and power amp distortion.] I was using a MESA/Boogie preamp, but I've gone back to the ADA MP-1 [the first preamp to combine MIDI and a preamp vacuum tube] with an ADA programmable EQ through a MESA/Boogie Strategy 400 power amp. For leads, I use a low gain setting on the ADA MP-1, but switch on an Ibanez Tube Screamer. Using the Tube Screamer in conjunction with a tube amp really brings out the tube qualities of the amp. And there's just something about that simple, raw, gritty fuzz box sound. One of the best lead sounds I ever got was when I played an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff through a Montgomery Ward amp with 3" speaker, for a Jeff Beck tone."

read
this

:thu: thanks.

• Members
Originally posted by iclimbalot

Wizard Modern Classic, a modded Marshall, his mainstay Mesa Mark IIc+, and his live rig which was basically 4 Mesa triaxis pre-amps and stradegy 400 power amps. All that through custom Marshall and Mesa cabs. I don't think James used Diezels until St. Anger, but I could be wrong.

And yes, I love the guitar tone on Load and ReLoad!!

Bingo :thu:

They used a TON of amps in the studio but the chunk of that tone is wizard and boogie.

mJ

• Members

found this:

read

And ya gotta take that into the context of when it was originally said...But Kirk still uses a TS9 as part of his lead tone however his amp gain is higher than in the past.

mJ

• Members

Originally posted by 4nkam

And ya gotta take that into the context of when it was originally said...But Kirk still uses a TS9 as part of his lead tone however his amp gain is higher than in the past.

mJ

Totally. To me those first three albums are the best, And Justice For All is good too. Black Album begins the Bob Rock curse...

And yes, I know the point of this thread is the "tone". I haven't met to many musicians that actually liked the later stuff, of course if you do, that's fine. There's no right or wrong here.

• Members

found this:

Kirk Hammett: "My philosophy has always been a clean amp with a stomp box. I hate the sound of piling distortion on top of distortion. [it sounds like he's criticizing using a mix of preamp and power amp distortion.] .

Actually from reading that it sounds more to me like he doesn't like running a distortion pedal into an already distorted amp. :confused:

Personally I dig some of the riffs on Load and Reload and some of the songs in general, but I absolutely HATE Lars' drumming and the way it's mixed on those albums. It's not bad enough that he's incompetent at anything under 200 bpm, but they have to mix him so loud that you have every nuance of his mediocrity mercilessly pounded into your brain like a giant typewriter writing on Play-Doh.

That being said, I really love the distorted guitar tones on those albums, especially Reload. Metallica's cleans don't do anything for me, regardless of what part of their career they're from.

• Members
Originally posted by Mind Riot

Actually from reading that it sounds more to me like he doesn't like running a distortion pedal into an already distorted amp.
:confused:

Personally I dig some of the riffs on Load and Reload and some of the songs in general, but I absolutely HATE Lars' drumming and the way it's mixed on those albums. It's not bad enough that he's incompetent at anything under 200 bpm, but they have to mix him so loud that you have every nuance of his mediocrity mercilessly pounded into your brain like a giant typewriter writing on Play-Doh.

That being said, I really love the distorted guitar tones on those albums, especially Reload. Metallica's cleans don't do anything for me, regardless of what part of their career they're from.

You know I thought Lars' drumming is pretty admirable on Carpe diam baby ... some nice fills and he gets in those double-bass rolls that he hadn't done since AJFA. Much better drumming than TBA IMO.

• Members

I have Fuel on a constant rotation on my iPod. I noticed a few things: there's only two guitars (vs the usual 3-4 on previous albums) and they usually don't sound the same. James is on one side, Kirk on the other (vs only James on previous albums).
On Fuel you can clearly make out that Kirk is playing a Strat!!! Also, when the leads come in, one of the rhytm shuts down.
In other word, it's recorded and mixed to be much closer to a live performance.

Kirk mentionned that the Load/Reload area is when they discovered the "mid" knob on their amp and started cranking it.

And Lars as some of his most enjoyable drumming imho. Not amazing on a technical level, but more enjoyable to listen to.

• Members

I always thought that Load had the best tones Metallica has ever had. Songwise, I think Black Album is their strongest - there's not a bad song on that one.

I don't quite understand why some people think ..And Justice For All has great tone. It sounds like a can of bees to me, especially since the bass is nonexistant. Good songs though.

How Metallica managed to get from the nice tone on Load to the awful crap that is St. Anger I'll never understand.

Archived