Buying software and activation concerns

• Members

I recently tried live 8 and decided I would like to buy it. Then I noticed it uses activation. On their FAQ they say you get 2 activations and then you have to explain yourself to their support and if it sounds legit they will activate you again. My concern is, I add and remove hardware, and reinstall windows all the time, several times a year, at what point will I not be able to activate any more. The part that irritates me is that a people that have no plans of paying for the product don't have to worry about this, but paying customers do, if I wanted to steal it I would just steal it right, so why risk scaring away a potential paying customer. Another concern is what happens if I don't want to upgrade and several years pass, will they continue to activate me forever or will they say that version is no longer supported, and refuse activation.

• Members

I agree with you and those two points you bring up are exactly my same concerns. I tried Live and liked it, but I will not buy it because of their activation policy. At that point, I prefer having a USB dongle to that type of policy.

I only buy software that simply requires a serial number and/or another serial number from the factory sent via email upon registering -

(that, and I'm a hardware guy mostly :D )

• Members

Copyright protection is a reality with most software today, so either you accept it or decide not to purchase the specific product.

Regarding activations, I am sure that Ableton want to be reasonable, but you might run into some trouble if you reinstall your OS too frequently.

I would suggest having a computer dedicated to music so you don't need to re-install so much.

Regarding long-term support, Ableton keeps track of all of your registration info so you shouldn't have a problem if you need to re-activate years down the line.

• Members

Copyright protection is a reality with most software today, so either you accept it or decide not to purchase the specific product.

Regarding activations, I am sure that Ableton want to be reasonable, but you might run into some trouble if you reinstall your OS too frequently

Regarding long-term support, Ableton keeps track of all of your registration info so you shouldn't have a problem if you need to re-activate years down the line.

You will find them very reasonable to work with & they do keep track of your registration info in a very convenient & practical way

• Members

I would suggest having a computer dedicated to music so you don't need to re-install so much.

I do, but the longest I have had an heavily used XP box work well and not start slowing down or developing quirky behaviour is a year at most. Although it is possible to fix it to a certain extent usually a fresh install gives better results.

I was ready to pull the trigger when I realized about the activation.

• Members

I hate activation, dongles, and any other form of copy protection. If it ever gives me grief (so far it hasn't since I don't tend to reinstall), I'll just do what the pirates do, download a cracked version and install that instead. I have the license, they have their money, and I can use the software without having to go through hoops.

Copy protection in general only stops the most casual pirates. It inconveniences legitimate (paying) customers, and doesn't stop piracy at all. In the 80s companies discovered that it's more trouble than it's worth and stopped doing it for a while, but then around 10-12 years ago they started back in on it again. It's less intrusive than it used to be but still... I'll just do without (and they lose a sale) before I'll give in and buy something that has copy protection.

• Members

I think I figured out a solution, I can set up a system, activate, then make a disk image. if things get messed up I wipe the drive and re image it.

I hate activation, dongles, and any other form of copy protection. If it ever gives me grief (so far it hasn't since I don't tend to reinstall), I'll just do what the pirates do, download a cracked version and install that instead. I have the license, they have their money, and I can use the software without having to go through hoops.

I thought about this too, it would be good as a last resort if I couldn't get reactivated.

• Members

For all the criticism this sort of activation gets, it's actually pretty easy if you spend the 5 minutes on the phone. I'd rather just call them them than have to worry about dongles.

They just want to verify they are talking to the legit owner and not someone who is going from friends PC to friends PC installing their software. They don't give you the 5th degree over the phone. In fact the last time I had a drive crash I just did it online w/ no problem. They are very cool people.

And yes I agree with the above. A keeping a master disc image with offline storage of all your samples / project files and what not is the best way to go.

Archived