Why do rappers always have other people on stage with them, shouting?

Random Hero

• Members
Originally posted by MetalGuitar08

Agreed. What I dislike the MOST though, is how they get paid so much frickin money for putting such little effort into rap songs. Take Lil Jon.. "What!? YEAH!! NAH!!!!!!!!"

:mad:

Yes, that happens only with rap stars, not in other mainstrem genres.

Anyone who says that rap isn't music is simply ignorant. There's good rap and bad rap, and in my opinion bad metal or funk isn't any better than bad rap.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Straton

Yes, that happens only with rap stars, not in other mainstrem genres.

Anyone who says that rap isn't music is simply ignorant. There's good rap and bad rap, and in my opinion bad metal or funk isn't any better than bad rap.

Bad funk is truly a terror to behold.

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

Do you mean rhyme? Yeah, most people can rhyme. How many guitarists have it in them to be MCs? That can sit down, and drop something as hyper verbal as Busdriver, or with flow like Brother Ali? Hell, even a fair-to-middlin' MC like Slug? Then I'd be willing to bet it might be more MCs who could pass on guitar than you'd think.

You want something heavy? Immortal Technique's "You Never Know" or "Dance With The Devil."

And no, a lot of whack MCs don't freestyle. A lot of guitar players don't jam out live, either.

I'm talking about mainstream rap for the most part. And yes, when I'm with my one buddy, all he does is listen to rap, so I have experienced the most popular stuff, and most I can't take lol. I do like some rappers like Atmosphere who have great lyrics and everything.

I shall check those songs out.

• Members

I'm talking about mainstream rap for the most part. And yes, when I'm with my one buddy, all he does is listen to rap, so I have experienced the most popular stuff, and most I can't take lol. I do like some rappers like Atmosphere who have great lyrics and everything.

I shall check those songs out.

Aye atmosphere is the emcee Slug. check out cunning lynguists aswell. some good uk rap is markb & blade, klashnekoff, Jehst, Skinnyman, Task Force, Terrafirma.

• Members

The lyrics in most rap songs disgust me, and sound like they are written by a ten year old who thinks swearing and talking about smoking weed and drinking is so cool

:bor::rolleyes:

Also, I'm betting there's a MUCH larger ratio of guitar players that can rap good as opposed to rappers that can play guitar good. I don't think you could even dispute that.

All metal songs are about raping goats and worshipping the satan. If I've played guitar for 5 years and rapped for 6 years, would I be a rapper or guitarist?

• Members

All metal songs are about raping goats and worshipping the satan. If I've played guitar for 5 years and rapped for 6 years, would I be a rapper or guitarist?

Apparently you missed the "most" in my sentence. :bor: Don't forget all metal songs are also about burning churches. :wave:

• Members

List of non-whack hip-hop:

Public Enemy, Dead Prez, Mos Def, Talib Kweli (and Black Star, collectively), De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Immortal Technique, Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Binary Star, MF Doom, Tonedeff, Jedi Mind Tricks, Apathy, Celph Titled, Blueprint, Del tha Funkee Homosapien (also as Deltron 3030), Busdriver, the Demigodz collective, KRS-One (back in the day, anyway)...and so on.

If you want something that'll make you sit up, Immortal Technique's "The Revolution Vol 1." the songs Dominant Species, Poverty of Philosophy, Dance With The Devil, Beef and Broccolli...good stuff.

• Members

List of non-whack hip-hop:

Public Enemy, Dead Prez, Mos Def, Talib Kweli (and Black Star, collectively), De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Immortal Technique, Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Binary Star, MF Doom, Tonedeff, Jedi Mind Tricks, Apathy, Celph Titled, Blueprint, Del tha Funkee Homosapien (also as Deltron 3030), Busdriver, the Demigodz collective, KRS-One (back in the day, anyway)...and so on.

There you go this guy knows his stuff! thats basically all what i listen too minus a few check out cunning lynguists(sp?) and the uk stuff!

• Members

It's BS with "most" in your sentence too
:idea:

lol.... Brendan posted a list of good hip-hop, I'm sure I can produce a bigger list of terrible mainstream rap:

Chamillionaire, T.I., Lil Jon, 50 Cent, Young Buck, Young Joc, Young Jeezy, Akon, Three Six Mafia, 8-Ball, MGG, Black Rob, Big Boi, Big Tymers, Black Eyed Peas, Lil Bow Wow, Lil Scrappy, Bonecrushers, Ying-Yang Twins, Bubba Sparxxx, Chris Brown, Juelz Santana, D4L, Color Changin' Clique, Da Backwudz, DMX, David Banner, Dem Franchize Boys, Easy E, Jadakiss, Nate Dogg, The Game, Ludacris, Fort Minor, Ghostface, Snoop Dogg, Ja Rule, Fat Joe, Sean Paul, Paul Wall, Lloyd Banks, Kanye West, Mike Jones, Pharrell, Nelly Furtado (if that's considered rap, idk,) "Fabolous," Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, Pitbull, Slim Thug, Shawnaa, Sporty, Terror Squad, Mase, Young Money...

Just to name a few....

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

Good one about a Berklee course for rap:D

What next, R.I.T. (Rap Institue of Technology)? Juliard School of Rap?

It's not music.

hows it naw music??? explain.. im sure this will be a great example of someone being extremely narrow minded

• Members

Originally posted by Craigy

does that not show you how big a business it is though? theres hundreds of underground emcees though.

Yes, but these people I listed should not be paid as much as they are. The underground emcees, rappers, etc, are making next to nothing, or probably nothing in some cases, but have way better lyrics.

• Members

lol.... Brendan posted a list of good hip-hop, I'm sure I can produce a bigger list of terrible mainstream rap:

Just to name a few....

I can name just as many terrible rock bands for every one good one. There will always be a dozen {censored} bands that get airplay (Alter Bridge, AFI, Three Days Grace, Nickelback, Underoath, Breaking Benjamin, 30 Seconds To Mars, Saliva, The All American Rejects, My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park, Static-X) for one good band that doesn't (Clutch).

What's your point?

edit- man, I've been out for a while. Lemme fix the list.

• Members

Yes, but these people I listed should not be paid as much as they are.

They aren't. Things rented for events and videos, leased, purchased on advances (that the company then repos). Part of the deal is trying to live large, live big, prove how far you've come. Image.

More often than not, rappers don't make much more than any rock band in the same position.

• Members

They aren't. Things rented for events and videos, leased, purchased on advances (that the company then repos). Part of the deal is trying to live large, live big, prove how far you've come. Image.

More often than not, rappers don't make much more than any rock band in the same position.

Have you ever watched MTV Cribs? I rarely watch that channel, or TV for that matter, but I saw the Ying Yang Twins on there. These people have indoor basketball courts, huge pools, movie theaters, 15 cars, etc. The worst part is they all have platinum/diamond "grills." I don't even know why you'd want that! :D

But I see where you're coming from with mainstream rock as well. I guess what I could say is that I don't like most of mainstream music, not because it's popular, but because it isn't good.

• Members

Have you ever watched MTV Cribs? I rarely watch that channel, or TV for that matter, but I saw the Ying Yang Twins on there. These people have indoor basketball courts, huge pools, movie theaters, 15 cars, etc. The worst part is they all have platinum/diamond "grills." I don't even know why you'd want that!
:D

Yeah, and the guys from Panic at the Disco are living large, too. For every one (and the Yin Yang Twins are pretty in-demand producers) of those huge houses, you've got another guy who lives in a suburb when he's not on TV or on tour.

The rap game is no different than the rock one. Instead of clamoring for someone's musty vintage tour t-shirt, or a guitar they once played, people clamor for rare b-sides and underground tapes. Same game, you just get crunk instead of rocking out.

• Members

although i'm not an avid listener, it is music. it's more lyrical and rhythm based, but it's definately music.

I suppose some of you find anything non-guitar related "not music"? (aside from maybe classical?)

And BrendanO, i disagree. AFI shouldnt be put on that list of "crap mainstream". the others, fine, but AFI's at least a little better. Their new album (DECEMBERUNDERGROUND) is actually pretty cool.

EDIT: Also, bad metal is the worst kind of "bad" music to experience. Ugh.

• Members
Originally posted by Random Hero

They seem like hanger-onn-ers to me. Half of the time the original rapper doesn't rap his song, the other randoms do it.

:confused:

Isn't this how MC Hammer went broke? He had too many people on his pay roll who essentially did nothing but fill the stage.

Archived