FWAxeIbanez's obscure band appreciation thread

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Sometimes I'll put on a band that nobody seems to know about and it blows my mind that they aren't huge... It kinda bums me out. I figured it might be cool to pick out a band every once in a while and sorta make a thread about them.

I'm gonna start off with Amanda Woodward. They are french screamo kinda, but oddly enough it doesn't suck horse balls. Think Fugazi mixed with At the drive in mixed with Sublime... you have to hear it to understand, so here:

It doesn't show up so much on that song, but there is a heavy dub influence that pops up here and there on the albums. For a starter album I'd suggest an EP actually. It's called Pleine de Grace and although it's only three songs, each one of them blew my mind...

I almost posted an MP3 link but I figured that be a bad idea since it's kinda stealing, could get the mods in some heat.

anyway, check it out, and if you already know about them, tell me what you think and if you think I'd like any bands you

Edit: here's a sample guys... enjoy!

http://media.putfile.com/Amanda-Woodward

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fugazi has heavey dub influence in the bass work, I can see that arguement (I can't hear it).

Reminds me a little of Snapcase, not the vocals, but the music.

People have probably heard of em, but since you mentioned Fugazi....

Hot Water Music!
Remedy
A Flight and a Crash (live)

Couldn't find a good copy of anything from their early stuff.

• Members

there's another one

I have had Progression through Unlearning before, and it's been awhile, but can't say I remember them sounding like that... get that EP I mentioned, it's sick man seriously... if you say it still reminds you of snapcase I'll go buy that cd again tomorrow, heh

it has been a while...

• Members

Originally posted by ezweave

Yeah, I've heard them before. Kinda like Converge... no one can quite "growl" like Jake Bannon.

Does Genghis Tron still use drum machines?

yes

It took me a while to really get into Converge, I'll be honest... Bannon does that dying cat squeel that really used to rub me the wrong way. Now it doesn't bother me so much, but I definitely had to warm up to it

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

yes

It took me a while to really get into Converge, I'll be honest... Bannon does that dying cat squeel that really used to rub me the wrong way. Now it doesn't bother me so much, but I definitely had to warm up to it

Yeah, I have heard those guys admit that their music is an acquired taste.

Another "with a grain of salt" band is Early Man... indie rockers play classic metal -> gulp

• Members

No {censored}ing way!!!!!!!! Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum!! those guys are so {censored}ing bad... I used to have so many live videos of them. I bought both of thier albums on digipack...

I can't listen to them all the time because it's largely theatrical, but damn is it original

donkey headed adversary of humanity and sleep is wrong are my favorite songs by them

• Members
Originally posted by bob the dentist

Genghis Tron is sweet, thanks.

:thu:

Get Amanda Woodward too tho... seriously. It's emo without whining about teenage relationships, could do you some good! :D I'm just kidding.

on second thought, if you want to grow up fast. Listen to Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum alone at night in a room full of windows. Creepiest band in the world, and they get pretty {censored}ing heavy at times too

• Members

Get Amanda Woodward too tho... seriously. It's emo without whining about teenage relationships, could do you some good!
:D
I'm just kidding.

on second thought, if you want to grow up fast. Listen to Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum alone at night in a room full of windows. Creepiest band in the world, and they get pretty {censored}ing heavy at times too

Well seeing as half of Led Zeppelin's catalog is about whining about relationships, that argument doesn't really hold a lot of water with me.

I'll check some of that other stuff out too.

• Members
Originally posted by bob the dentist

Well seeing as half of Led Zeppelin's catalog is about whining about relationships, that argument doesn't really hold a lot of water with me.

I'll check some of that other stuff out too.

keyword there was teenage relationships... although I'm sure they know a thing or two about teenage girls:D

anyway, I'm not gonna persue this cuz I wasn't really tryin to bust your balls, it was all in fun.

Get Pleine de Grace and tell me it didn't knock you flat on your ass. That album blew my doors off when I first heard it. I think everyone into heavy music should hear that album before they die, as long as they aren't like strictly metalheads.

• Members

how about this... if I posted a song and only said it was by Amanda Woodward and didn't mention the song name, that way you'd have to look into them yourself to figure it out...

would that be a good work around?

why don't you post something that isn't a god-awful live recording?

Archived