The everlasting debate....

schecterboy

• Members

Ok guys, hope everyone's ok....

I'm gonna cut the bull{censored} and get to the point.

I need a great live sound for rock, bordering into some poppier metal. Everything from Lost Prophets to Bullet For My Valentine to Metallica.

I also need great cleans, doesnt have to be anything hugely fantastic but nice and clear

And finally a nice blues sound for Gary Moore style sound

I'm sick to the back teeth of my POD XT Pro for live playing, I'm gonna stop lying to myself that I can make it sound good. Invaluable for home recording but I just dont get on with it otherwise. So.......

Options:

High quality rack setup, mesa power amp, triaxis, rocktron/G major effects

Marshall DSL 100/50

Marshall TSL 100

Mesa Boogie Rectifier

Peavy 5150/XXX/JSX?

Please help guys I'm losing faith in my live sound very quickly

Cheers

Schecterboy

• Members

Originally posted by charliedango

3-ch Dual Rectifier. Hands down.

Cheers to that!!! Everyone of the artists you listed are avid Mesa users, most of them rectified. Yes, even Metallica. I was lucky enough to see them at a bar stripped down with halfstacks. James had a Dual Rec, and Kirk had a Triple. No hidden rack setups or anything. That is what they were using.

• Members

Originally posted by schecterboy

Thanx for the reply man, could you give me some info on your experience with it?

It's one I have been eyeing up I just need to really know what it can do!

Cheers

I've been using it for recording (not personally, the band I'm working with) and to me it just seems like a very versatile amp. Set to modern it gets the poppy metal sound your Lost Prophets/Bullet for my Valentine sound. Vintage mode is more broad and less saturated, but definitely good for a bluesier type of sound. Haven't really got to far into it's clean so I can't really speak for it.

Having the choice of tube rectifier and diode rectifier is great versatility as well. I'm probably going to buy one after my recent experience with it. There are better amps than the Mesa, but for the money (used, I would never recommend buying one new) it's worth it.

• Members

This is great stuff guys I really appreciate the information

At the minute I think the Mesa is what I may go for, are we talking Single, Dual or Triple?

And what could the Mk 3/4 give me over the rectifier?

Also any shouts for the Marshalls?

Or even the rack?

• Members

Marshall DSL/TSL doesn't offer a lot of variety. It sounds quite simply like a Marshall, but not the legendary kind.

Never played the Mark III or IV, so I can't speak about them intelligently. Neither have I tried a single or triple rectifier mesa. There are others who have though and I'm sure they'll tell you what to expect.

• Members

Wow sounds like you guys love those rectos!!!

I must admit it was the first amp I lusted over and it seems that it can get the sounds of most of the bands I's like to emulate and ultimately provide me a decent tone for my band.

Can anyone tip the balance for me here and really hit home why I should go for Mesa?

• Members

Well if you want great cleans, the recto is definatly out. The clean sounds like ass. Granted, it's clean, sterile ass, but it's ass none the less.

I have a DR and a Bogner 101B on top of eachother and I use a tonebone and patch bay to switch between them. I use the XTC for everything that doesn't need the "recto" sound, including most of the metal stuff I do. In my opinion, it'll serve you much better.

I hear the clean on the roadkings is better though, but I haven't heard it myself.

-W

• Members

mesa's are WAY over priced in the uk.

they're not all that great anyway for the money.

get a marshall DSL or TSL depending whether you want 2 or 3 channels.

the TSL is a great amp. i've played through one a few times and it'll give you everything you want. the clean is great and the lead channel is heavy.

or try out the peavey JSX and XXX. i'm currently having fun with my new JSX and it only cost

• Members

Originally posted by Norton666

Everyone of the artists you listed are avid Mesa users, most of them rectified.

gary moore isn't! he used DSL's for years!!! and now uses the point-to-point reissue marshalls.

just think of it like this.....nickleback use mesa boogie.....

• Members

Thanx guys, yeah adiohead is quite right that the price for mesas over here makes me want to cry!

Marshalls however do seem reasonably priced, and the TSL 100 looks good as well, I mean the bluesier sort of stuff is just so that I can have a nice mess around with it, not essential for live duties.

So I guess with cost being somewhat of an issue (I was looking for under a grand if I could) I guess a TSL 100 could be my answer.

By the way the best deal on a 3 channel Dual recto I've found is

• Members

Originally posted by Chudanez

I own a TSL and it'll do everything you said easily.
:thu:

I've been 20/80% thinking bout selling it (20% wanting to sell it) because i want a Framus Cobra so if you wanna buy one, throw me a price for the head and matching 4x12" if ya want
:D

seriously. i'm a tone snob and the TSL is a great amp. i'd possibly take up this offer if i was in the market for a new amp.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by adiohead

seriously. i'm a tone snob and the TSL is a great amp. i'd possibly take up this offer if i was in the market for a new amp.

:wave:

Yeah it's a great amp which is always why i'm thinking "awww, no i can't sell it, it's not worthy of being sold off!"

That and i'm always getting asked to do deps in for people for everything from pub gigs where their guitarist is ill to being asked to play festivals for Led Zeppelin covers with a chello'ist (it's happened :p)

TSL will get me the Marshall tones that you can't really get from other amps without sacrificing the versatility.

That and the secondhand price on those amps aint good (sad but true). I just think "meh, i'm better off keeping it then selling it". Better bang for the buck :p

But sometime in the future i'll have to get hold of a 5150 and Cobra :D

Archived