Synths like the Korg ms2000

waldojeffers

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying my first synth. I want at buying used to save some money. The Korg ms2000 looks great to me and also this video of the ms2k has reassured me

. I like sounds like this demonstrated. But I have been lurking for months trying to find a used one pop up for sale. So I guess now it's time to broaden my options. Are there any synths similar to this that I can look for?

Thanks

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying my first synth. I want at buying used to save some money. The Korg ms2000 looks great to me and also this video of the ms2k has reassured me
. I like sounds like this demonstrated. But I have been lurking for months trying to find a used one pop up for sale. So I guess now it's time to broaden my options. Are there any synths similar to this that I can look for?

The MicroKorg has the same sound engine as the MS2000. If you can't deal with the mini-keys, you can also drive it from another keyboard.

• Members

i'll respond here instead of PM -

i think your choices look fine. perhaps the z1 and JX series would not be the best if you're wanting to learn subtractive synthesis right off the bat (unless you get a PG programmer also), but the rest appear to cover your needs well.

spend some time choosing and finding a great deal, but not so much time that it prevents you from getting music accomplished. you should be able to accomplish your goals using any number of synths. don't fall into the trap of "Oh i don't have X or Y synth, so i can't do proper pads/bass/leads because i NEED that synth" . being resourceful is a huge part of having regular music output - use what you have on hand.

my .02

• Members

JP 8000 (mentioned). Novation X-Station. Roland SH-201.

If you don't know much about all the different synths out there and what they do, do a little bit studying before u buy. I spent months trying to figure out the differences between all the different synths but turned out I still didn't know much. You'll probably end up going thru a few synths before you understand the differences and know which one you want and which you don't.

• Members

best to play them all first. Some synths just grab you from the start, have the sounds you wanna make, etc.

this, totally, if you can. it's so true. it's a first instrument of sorts, allow yourself to become emotionally attached to it.

and if you can't play a buncha different synths locally, then pick any of the ones on your list and dive right in. your mind is going to be blow no matter what!

Archived