keyboard players underestimate guitars and guitarists for that matter

tremens

• Members

For those reason I consider guitar definitely more difficult instrument to master then keyboard - musically speaking of course not technologically like some here are obviously confused with. Music is not about switching buttons and patches.

You seem to think keyboards is about technology doing the work for you musically, and guitar is all from scratch. but take away amps and effects and an electric guitar has pretty quiet and boring sound. Seems like same difference. Here's my take: someone can learn to play the guitar in a month or two and sound respectable. I've seen it done personally. That is NOT possible on the piano and I've never seen it. It is going to take that person a few years to do the same level of competence on a piano where they can play and sing along. Piano is much much harder to play.

Not that a guitarist can't get to phenomenal levels that far exceed what most pianists ever do, because SOME have, however, the BEST pianist is far more talented than the BEST guitarist any day. That's why they are TIMELESS in their fame over the past several hundred years. We still admire what people did hundreds of years ago. There's a reason for that.

Guitar has a shorter basic learning curve, there are respectable cheap versions of guitar (hundreds of dollars) whereas the keyboard in any respectable form is going to cost thousands, even $150,000 for a concert grand piano. Many more people are choosing guitar because it is cheap, and easy to start. Those are very attractive reasons to make that choice.

But piano can do CHORDS, full on chords, and a guitar can only approach this idea with a STRUM. Its very different, and this is why you don't have a famous "guitarist" from the era of say, Mozart and Chopin, etc. etc. etc. etc., all those piano guys, and yet NO famous guitarist based on any musical skill except recently with rock and roll. Why is that? Is it music dumbed down or just a rebellious fad? Time will tell.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its very different, and this is why you don't have a famous "guitarist" from the era of say, Mozart and Chopin, etc. etc. etc. etc., all those piano guys, and yet NO famous guitarist based on any musical skill except recently with rock and roll.

There are actually known composers of classical guitar (and lute before then). But as far as classical megastars, few tunes written for that instrument seem to have stuck in popular folklore. The key instruments (piano / harpsichord / organ) was a way more popular route to composition, probably because of the flexibility this instrument offers.

The first classical piece written for guitar that comes to my mind, actually was composed by a piano player.

[YOUTUBE]X9DOtuPLqNI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Originally Posted by tremens

For those reason I consider guitar definitely more difficult instrument to master then keyboard - musically speaking of course not technologically like some here are obviously confused with. Music is not about switching buttons and patches./QUOTE]

ORLY? What is music about then, picking string and fretting? Or is music about sound? I'm pretty sure that music is about sound actually, hence whatever method is used to achieve sound, is therefor also what music is about....be it twiddling with a tone knob and tapping, or a reso knob while reversing a sequence.

• Members

Thanks for posting that, Soundwave. Haven't heard it in a long time. One of my favorite classical pieces ever, after Ravel's Bolero and practically all of Debussy's work [music out of this world].

Sometimes I wonder what made past composers such geniuses musically compared to today's [insert facepalm here]. Probably the non-processed food back then, no pollution, no internet, no excrutiating noise everywhere you go, discipline at home and in school, respect for parents & others, a lot of romance, plenty of time to walk through the forest, look at the stars at night and wonder, meditate and reminisce. Nature is beautiful. They knew how to appreciate it. We forgot how to.

• Members

... this is why you don't have a famous "guitarist" from the era of say, Mozart and Chopin, etc. etc. etc. etc., all those piano guys, and yet NO famous guitarist based on any musical skill except recently with rock and roll...

Fernando Sor; 1778-1839? Not famous? Oh... you haven't heard of him. That's different.

pls do yr hmwrk

Archived