So.....Is the Fireball loud enough or what?

Rindgecore

• Members

I've been starting to GAS really badly for one lately but I see threads questioning its volume, so I need the real scoop. I set my 5150 II to 3 at it's loudest settings, I don't see how an amp half it's wattage cannot even compete volume wise.

What's the verdict? Can it get loud enough for un miked, hall gigging volumes?

• Members
Originally posted by Rindgecore

I've been starting to GAS really badly for one lately but I see threads questioning its volume, so I need the real scoop. I set my 5150 II to 3 at it's loudest settings, I don't see how an amp half it's wattage cannot even compete volume wise.

What's the verdict? Can it get loud enough for un miked, hall gigging volumes?

Who in the world still gigs w/o miking? Is there a reason that you don't?

• Members

Hey,

Mine is plenty loud. Keep in mine with the mids up and the bass down a bit it really will seem louder. Keep the depth knob down. The more bass you have- makes it seem not loud. It gets boomy- its amazing how much bass that amp has. I use (2) G/Flex 212's with my Fireball. Its a GREAT AMP!

• Members

Different amps work differently. Some just saturate more once you get past half on the master volume, others get louder all the way up. I'm pretty sure the Fireball leans more towards the latter.

Plus, you have to remember that the 5150 cuts like a mofo. You've gotta have your mids up there to keep up with a shfifty, no matter what amp you're using.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Not everyone has money to buy a good pa, can't bring it to every show, the place supplies a PA for only vocals, doesn't at all.

Tons of reasons - it seems like you're wealthy and cocky, but you may just have a fortunate music scene over there - I'm not going to judge.

• Members

Originally posted by OldMTDP8350

Not everyone has money to buy a good pa, can't bring it to every show, the place supplies a PA for only vocals, doesn't at all.

Tons of reasons - it seems like you're wealthy and cocky, but you may just have a fortunate music scene over there - I'm not going to judge.

And..

Not everyone Jams/practices through a P.A.

I know we don't. Being heard at band practice is equally important IMO

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

bands that would rather get paid extra than have $500 from the door go straight to the sound guy. bands that realize that they dont need stadium sound for a venue with 115 people in it. bands that dont want 30 minutes of setup time inbetween everyone's sets.

any independent band that tours and plays primarily all ages shows is going to play 80% of their shows without being miked until they sell 50,000+ records.

on top of that, most sound guys don't know what they are doing, especially in the smaller "no-name" clubs. these dudes mess up your sound more than help it anyways.

• Members

Originally posted by jshaft37

bands that would rather get paid extra than have $500 from the door go straight to the sound guy. bands that realize that they dont need stadium sound for a venue with 115 people in it. bands that dont want 30 minutes of setup time inbetween everyone's sets.

any independent band that tours and plays primarily all ages shows is going to play 80% of their shows without being miked until they sell 50,000+ records.

on top of that, most sound guys don't know what they are doing, especially in the smaller "no-name" clubs. these dudes mess up your sound more than help it anyways.

Hit it on the head.

• Members

+1

• Members

Penis envy in the world of guitar amps is the opposite of everything else. All the guys with small penises seem to try and compensate by using the smallest rig possible and chiming into every thread about volume and flaunt how small their rig is and how it's not cool to use an amp or rig that is more than you need.

For example...

A thread is started about putting together a full-stack...

Guy with tiny wiener chimes in and says something along the lines of, "Where will you be playing that will require you to use a fullstack?"

Well endowed individual replies with, "Well, I really don't need it but it's cool to have and I really like the way my palm mutes thud through a full-stack."

Sir tiny weenie replies with, "I have a 1/2 watt amp through a 2" speaker that's always been enough. Mic it and it's loud enough for any gig. Any more than that is just absurd"

• Members
Originally posted by LordOVchaoS

Penis envy in the world of guitar amps is the opposite of everything else. All the guys with small penises seem to try and compensate by using the smallest rig possible and chiming into every thread about volume and flaunt how small their rig is and how it's not cool to use an amp or rig that is more than you need.

For example...

Guy with tiny wiener chimes in and says something along the lines of, "Where will you be playing that will require you to use a fullstack?"

Well endowed individual replies with, "Well, I really don't need it but it's cool to have and I really like the way my palm mutes thud through a full-stack."

Sir tiny weenie replies with, "I have a 1/2 watt amp through a 2" speaker that's always been enough. Mic it and it's loud enough for any gig. Any more than that is just absurd"

or with a reasonable amount of watts 20-30 you can get much more distortion.

:rolleyes:

• Members

I remember I had a guitar teacher once tell me that I'd never need more than a 30-Watt amp to play gigs. ha!

A 30-Watt wouldn't even be close to loud enough for our practice, nevermind a gig. 60w compared to 100w, I would think there would be some volume difference there.

• Members

Originally posted by constrict

I remember I had a guitar teacher once tell me that I'd never need more than a 30-Watt amp to play gigs. ha!

A 30-Watt wouldn't even be close to loud enough for our practice, nevermind a gig. 60w compared to 100w, I would think there would be some volume difference there.

my other guitarist has a fireball and runs it between noon and 1 o'clock on the master volume. i have a vht deliverance 60 and run it at 10-11 o'clock. we even recently played an outdoor show and it was still really really loud. people routinely tell us that our band is really loud (the good, intense kind of loud - not the {censored}ty, sloppy, noisey loud).

we play 90% of our shows unmiked and volume isnt an issue. routinely we're turning down somewhat during our sets we can hear the snare drum better.

• Members

my other guitarist has a fireball and runs it between noon and 1 o'clock on the master volume. i have a vht deliverance 60 and run it at 10-11 o'clock. we even recently played an outdoor show and it was still really really loud. people routinely tell us that our band is really loud (the good, intense kind of loud - not the {censored}ty, sloppy, noisey loud).

we play 90% of our shows unmiked and volume isnt an issue. routinely we're turning down somewhat during our sets we can hear the snare drum better.

Mind if I ask what kind of music you guys are into?? If it's metal, how do you like the Deliverance for that?? thanks,

-Joe

• Members

basically melodic death metal, with some grindy parts as well as some suffocation style breakdowns.

i think the deliverance works very well (better than a 5150, mesa, or marshall). it got a great tone and is very clear. also, i like the idea of having a unique sound. most heavy bands are playing the same amps, so its nice to stand out.

i think the fireball sounds slightly better, but i'll have to wait til i get my new jj tubes for the preamp before i can make my final decision.

• Members
Originally posted by LordOVchaoS

For example...

laugh.gif

Archived