OT: Holy $*it

Mediterranean

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave106

View Post

Well, as anyone who lives in Florida knows, some varieties really aren't that aggressive (the American alligator variety in particular is not very aggressive) and they will get used to humans very, very easily if regularly fed.

They are also rather stupid animals; even if they get used to humans, they can easily mistake your arm for food. facepalm.gif

I am not referring to little American alligators, I am referring to huge bloody saltwater crocs like we get in the Northern Territory and North Queensland.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mediterranean

View Post

lol Soundwave. I wouldn't call a species that has been around for millions of years stupidbiggrin.gif

The cockroach will probably out-live even the alligator. It is an even stupider species in many ways.

But it is efficient. icon_lol.gif

Ignorance has a certain kind of bliss, and longevity too. icon_lol.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Marc G

View Post

DO NOT WANT!!!....

seriously though... if I had to climb THAT high for whatever reason, {censored} a safety harness.... I want a parachute!!

You spoke and these dudes listenedsmile.gif

This is the antithesis of the original vid.

Now how the hell did they get up there? Did the company that owns the tower give them permission or something?confused.gif

Question about thrill-seeking: since it appears to be some type of addiction, do you think it's a mental disorder/illness?

• Members

Met a guy who did that, went to high school with my wife. They sorta had an informal catchup at a bar one night to see what everyone one was doing 15 years after high school.

I was the lone fella out that didn't know anyone. Spent most of the time talking to this guy who climbed the towers to fix cellular antenna's. Cool guy, and cool job. Probably didn't make $10k a month, but did okay for himself.

I'd love to do it, but these days the roof of my house scares me when I go to clean the gutters... (and I used to be a breath fire / stilt walk as a busker in my younger days...)

• Members

View Post

Question about thrill-seeking: since it appears to be some type of addiction, do you think it's a mental disorder/illness?

I sky dived for a while. FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE. And I fear heights terribly.

Skydiving has very little to do with heights fear - trust me on this. There are plenty of other, better things to fear skydiving.

I don't recall the exact terminology, but I think thrill seeking has something to do with "dopamine addiction"... something about a chemical released in extreme situations. I think I stopped before I got hooked, but the rush and lifestyle was just amazing and freeing. When you are that close to death, you see life as never before. whole new respect and love for life and people

• 1 year later...
  • Members

View Post

OMG, as he goes up, it just keeps getting worse and worse! Not just the height -- the nature of the ladder! I was relieved to hear they only climb the last 100 feet, but still ... eek.gif

I'm not afraid of heights so much as afraid of falling. But in this case I'd be scared {censored}less even if strapped firmly on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

That guy stood on top of that tower unattached @ 7:18 with both hands off while he messed with his carabiner harness and his mate came up to meet him

Yeah, I couldn't believe that. I was squirming in my seat the whole time. Aren't there gusts of wind up there???

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by learjeff

View Post

OMG, as he goes up, it just keeps getting worse and worse! Not just the height -- the nature of the ladder! I was relieved to hear they only climb the last 100 feet, but still ... :EEK!:

I'm not afraid of heights so much as afraid of falling. But in this case I'd be scared {censored}less even if strapped firmly on.

Yeah, I couldn't believe that. I was squirming in my seat the whole time. Aren't there gusts of wind up there???

lol Jeff. I think the two are related: we are afraid of heights *because* we are afraid of falling.

About the wind: I think these technicians know as much about weather conditions as weathermen [kinda like pilots]. I don't think he and his buddy would have climbed that crazy tower had they not known the conditions were going to be perfect that day and time.

Soooooooo Jeff, what would YOU do with $10,000/month? What are all the pieces of music gear you'd buy that you always dreamed of having and never could?icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

lol Jeff. I think the two are related: we are afraid of heights *because* we are afraid of falling.

Statistically, tower climbers have one of the most dangerous occupations around. The fear is kind of justified.

I understand that that video got the climber into a bit of trouble because he was severely violating OSHA protocol. You're supposed some sort of safety device / fall protection at all times, even on the pegged ladders.

• Members

View Post

Statistically, tower climbers have one of the most dangerous occupations around. The fear is kind of justified.

I understand that that video got the climber into a bit of trouble because he was severely violating OSHA protocol. You're supposed some sort of safety device / fall protection at all times, even on the pegged ladders.

Thanks for that link. The narrator in the video did state that OSHA rules allow for free climbing. Apparently not.

Goes to show that one shouldn't believe everything one hears or readssmile.gif

• Members

View Post

Your song "Forbidden Star" is fantastic! Dayymmmnnnnnn!love.gif

JMJ should listen to it!

thumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members

View Post

That would be logical, which means it's probably not true. And in fact, we have proof that the fear of heights is instinct and not solely based on a rational fear of falling. (Of course, the fact that we're instinctively afraid of heights is no doubt due to the consequences of falling.)

In any case, a rational friend of mine says he's not afraid of falling; it's the landing that scares him.

The two are definitely related but not equated. Some people can't tolerate heights regardless of how secure they feel. I'm fine as long as I feel secure. But when I jump off high places into water (which scares the holy hell out of me), if it's over say 20 feet, I can barely convince my body to comply with my wish to get my center of gravity out over thin air. I didn't even know how seriously afraid I was when falling, but I got two clues. One was a pic my brother took of me. I looked like the person in the painting "Scream". It was pretty funny. The other was the highest I'd ever jumped from, where I had about a second during the fall. (It felt like a couple seconds but was probably well under one sec. This was at Australia's Natural Arch Park near Brisbane.) The first time I noticed my arms went straight up as I fell. I felt this was undignified and resolved to pull them down to my sides on the next jump. I discovered that I could barely move a muscle: all my muscles were firing full force, and any movement met very stiff resistance. For the first time I really understood what they meant when they said "scared stiff".

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Warning: necropost!

Regarding Pocho, he died some time ago, but the man now has a new alligator. (IIRC, it's a gator, not an estuarine croc which is the dangerous kind. Not that it's not dangerous.) The guy saved Pocho as a small young gator and fed him & spent time with him daily, and only very slowly got to be buddy-buddy with him. I heard the story recently on radio; I think it was on This American Life. At the time the show was produced, he hadn't got to the lovey-dovey stage with new Pocho yet.

You won't ever catch me climbing a tower like that. I'm nervous on an extension ladder. A few years back I started doing indoor climbing regularly (which I thought I'd hate, but my son talked me into it and bigosh he was right: it's a blast.) I learned quite a bit about balance, and am a lot better on a ladder now; I can do more and am a lot safer as well. But still no way I'll be climbing any towers!

I had to get on my roof just a couple weeks ago, to put a tarp up until the roofers could come. I managed to get stuck up there; couldn't convince my ass to swing out over the air to get down. Fortunately my son (a 6'4" buddha-shaped 31-yr-old) came and held the ladder and talked me down. I think my days of roof-walking are over.

• Members

I hate heights, too. And I generally won't climb ladders. I was climbing a wooden ladder once, long ago, and the rung I was on broke. Went down and hit the next rung, which also broke. And so-on, crack crack crack, down to the bottom. I was unhurt but unamused.

I had a friend--we taught canoeing together--who was roofing his house alone when he slipped. His nephew found him hours later on the ground. He lived, but it screwed up his back permanently and because he was just working on his own house, no workman's compensation for him. Way to screw up your entire life. My own house is two stories with a steep steel roof--there is no chance that I'll ever check out the view from there.

• Members

Thanks for reviving the zombie thread as I never saw this the first (or second etc ) time around... smile.gif

View Post

OK so It was pretty crazy when the first sister went in but standard contortionist stuff... when I saw the second sister start to stick her leg in I was like "no. {censored}ing WAY!"

• Members

World's largest digging machine (Germany).

* 95 meters high and 215 meters long (almost 2.5 football fields in length)

* Weighs 45,500 tons (that's equivalent to a bumper to bumper line of jeeps 80 miles long) (I don't get this analogy)

* It took 5 years to design and manufacture at a cost of $100 million

* Maximum digging speed is 10 meters per minute

* Can move more than 76,000 cubic meters of coal, rock,and earth per day

http://worldamazingplaces.blogspot.c...g-machine.html

Largest+Digging+Machine-1.jpg

It accidentally ate a full-size bulldozer once..

post-bulldozermunch1.jpg

post-bulldozermunch2.jpg

Archived