I want to get into more Black Sabbath

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I've always respected BS, but I've never wanted to purchase a cd or anything. Anyway, I've heard some of thier earlier stuff, and it sounded pretty "jammy". Pretty inspired jam oriented stuff, which is something I can appreciate a lot more than thier more recent famous stuff.

What albums should I start with guys? I've always liked Black Sabbath, and would thoroughly enjoy them anytime a friend put them on or they popped on the radio. I just never had the urge to put them on or purchase an album, like I said earlier.

I wanna get that "artsy" side to Sabbath, if that makes sense...

• Members

here ya go:

B000002KGA.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Sold-Our-Soul-Rock-Roll/dp/B000002KGA

personally, while I LOVE ALL Black Sabbath - Tony Iommi is THE guy that made me start playing guitar - Ronnie James Dio is about 2000% a better singer/songwriter than Ozzy ever thought about being... so I think the albums "Heaven and Hell" & "Mob Rules" are the BEST Sabbath albums, hands down... again, just my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by Critter

Then put away your striper albums and do it....

Hahahaha... you mean stryper? I laughed so hard when I found out it was pronounced Striper and not Stripper, and that they were a christian cock rock band... it was an amazing revelation.

So far this is like Zeppelin on steroids and with shrunken minds.

• Members

The albums Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are definitely the "Sgt Pepper" and "Magical Mystery Tour" of Sabbath's career.Still,don't pass up on their less known material like BS "Vol. 4". It sounds like a compilation title but it's actually their concept following to Masters of Reality."Technical Ecstasy" and "Never Say Die" are also worth checking out but don't forget Sabbath's first,featuring The Wizard,NIB and Wicked World.

• Members
Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

I've always respected BS, but I've never wanted to purchase a cd or anything.

Well that is the problem right there now isn't it! You don't purchase sabbath on cd! Mistake Number one man! Sabbath is to be enjoyed on Album! Period. I have all ozzy/sabbath on album and it is the best experience ever. Plus Mob Rules and a few of the Dio ones are killer too. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

Masters of Reality is exactly what I {censored}ing wanted... holy {censored}. Lords of This World is amazing, I wanna cover it, heh

what a great album
:idea:

Lord of This World is just about the {censored}ing catchiest song i've ever heard... which is weird, since it's on the same album as Into the Void. god that song rules.

if you're looking for more "artsy" i think you want Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, i think it's the best work those guys could have ever done

• Members

Ronnie James Dio is about 2000% a better singer/songwriter than Ozzy ever thought about being... so I think the albums "Heaven and Hell" & "Mob Rules" are the BEST Sabbath albums, hands down... again, just my opinion.

Can sing better yes. But his pretentious songs are horrible.

Take the lyrics to "Rainbow in the Dark"

Just silly.

His whole stage act was pretentious and "evil"

While he was a good singer, he didn't have the voice that made BS popular.

You'll find a singer that has a DISTINCT voice will be more popular than most any other singer, EVEN if someone can sing BETTER than they can.

It's the distinct original sound that hooks people.

And Ozzy has such a voice. You ALWAYS know when it is him singing

• Members

I agree that Ozzy was THE Sabbath singer, but to say that Dio did/does not have a distinct voice is debateable. I also agree that Dio's lyrics are cheesy and his songs are pretentious at times, but I look at Sabbath as two different bands in the context of those two singers. With Dio they were more melodic and less riffy/jammy. With Ozzy it was more jams and even Ozzy was singing riff type phrasing in his vocals. I like both versions of Sabbath, but yes, Ozzy's era is my favorite.

• Members

Anything .... just grab anything ..

we sold .. is a great compilation kind of thing ..

but IMO the great stuff is the {censored} you don't hear on the radio .

Electric Funeral , Supernaut , Bit of Finger , Symptom of the Universe ..
there's a ton more ..

just grab anything ......

Archived