I want to get into more Black Sabbath

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

Originally posted by blind_man_at_mystic_lake

Black Sabbath - s/t.

Every time I hear "the wizard", it gives me chills.

Sabbath rules. Like others, I think the Ozzy era was the pinnacle and I think of Dio-era Sabbath as a different band but still absolutely killer. I like Dio both as the Sabbath singer and love Dio, the band.

Post-Dio Sabbath is hit or miss, but there is a lot of worthy stuff in there, and I actually think Iommi's solo albums have been great.

• Members

Originally posted by pol

just get all of them with Ozzy on vocals, there isn't really one that dissapoints.

+1

Also, give the Dio Sabbath (Mob rules is one of my all time fave's even though everyone else seems to like Heaven and Hell. Dehumanizer is okay but not great) and the Purple Sabbath with Ian Gillian a listen.

After that it's {censored}.

• Members

When I was in 5th grade (circa 1980), some 8th graders were trying to tell me that Blue Oyster Cult was "heavy." I told them they didn't know what in the hell they were talking about, almost got my ass kicked, then suggested that they listen to Master of Reality. They came to look at me as a guru of sorts.:D

• Members
Originally posted by Allthewayto11

When I was in 5th grade (circa 1980), some 8th graders were trying to tell me that Blue Oyster Cult was "heavy." I told them they didn't know what in the hell they were talking about, almost got my ass kicked, then suggested that they listen to Master of Reality. They came to look at me as a guru of sorts.
:D

{censored}ing funny dat!.. BoC heavy..lol.

Back on topic...

Whichever disk Wheels of Confusion is on...great disc!

It's an insightful point about the jam/roots origins though. I never really thought about it before but it;s right on the money...since they were originally jazz/blues band Earth of course...the Dio stuff was definately more straight ahead metal, as was Sabbath after that point.

• Members
Originally posted by dreamspace

Am I the only one here that likes Headless Cross and such? With Tony Martin on the vocals(who btw, smokes Ozzy as far as vocals go)

we used to do a cover of "The Headless Cross" back when I was gigging, right after that album came out. :thu:

I also prefer the less obvious choices - I'd NEVER play a cover of "Iron Man", for example.

"Electric Funeral" is one of my favorites too. I even have a video of me playing it up on youtube, but the sound isn't synced with the video, for some odd reason...

• Members

"Can sing better yes. But his pretentious songs are horrible.

Take the lyrics to "Rainbow in the Dark"

Just silly.

His whole stage act was pretentious and "evil"

While he was a good singer, he didn't have the voice that made BS popular.

You'll find a singer that has a DISTINCT voice will be more popular than most any other singer, EVEN if someone can sing BETTER than they can.

It's the distinct original sound that hooks people.

And Ozzy has such a voice. You ALWAYS know when it is him singing"

Exactly how much time-per day-DO you spend sniffing glue?

• Members
Originally posted by pol

Dio is a great singer technically, but his band DIO bores the hell out of me, I mean what the hell is a song like Holy Diver about ?

That and he looks like an angry leprichaun with a klingon head

DIO_2.jpg
pic35.jpg
:D lol

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

So far Masters of Reality, Vol. 4, Sabotage, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are my favorites. Every one of them are exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks guys
:thu:

Check out their first one/self titled too.

• Members

Originally posted by blackmoreisgod

personally, while I LOVE ALL Black Sabbath - Tony Iommi is THE guy that made me start playing guitar - Ronnie James Dio is about 2000% a better singer/songwriter than Ozzy ever thought about being... so I think the albums "Heaven and Hell" & "Mob Rules" are the BEST Sabbath albums, hands down... again, just my opinion.

Live Evil is a must for the Dio-era Sabs-I agree that Dio ownes Ozzy!

• Members
Originally posted by chrisaxeman

Live Evil is a must for the Dio-era Sabs-I agree that Dio ownes Ozzy!

absolutely! Sabbath is like a completely different band with Dio vs. Ozzy...

I can't wait for the new Sabbath - Dio era boxed set!! *drool* :eek::love: It's supposed to have a couple of NEW songs too! WOOHOOOOO

• Members
Originally posted by blackmoreisgod

we used to do a cover of "The Headless Cross" back when I was gigging, right after that album came out.

I also prefer the less obvious choices - I'd NEVER play a cover of "Iron Man", for example.

"Electric Funeral" is one of my favorites too. I even have a video of me playing it up on youtube, but the sound isn't synced with the video, for some odd reason...

I play in a Black Sabbath Cover band. Here is a kind of average set list for us.

Children of the Grave
Snowblind
Into The Void
Lord of This World
Spiral Architect
Hole in the Sky
Symptom of the Universe
The Thrill of it All
War Pigs
Fairies Wear Boots
NIB
Wicked World
Behind the Wall of Sleep
NIB
The Wizard
Sweet Leaf
Never Say Die
A Hard Road
Iron Man
Black Sabbath
Paranoid

As you can see we start out with some of the heavier downtuned stuff and some obscurer stuff, then into hits. I hear what you're saying about Iron Man but people do want to hear stuff that they can sing along too.

As far as Masters of reality. Into The Void is the one song where people really go nuts. It sounds so heavy live.

Archived