Laney disappearing from MF, M123, ZZZSounds, others?

snakum

• Members

I was looking for info on a Laney LC50II and I noticed that Laney amps are no longer listed on the websites any of the big music stores. What's up with that {censored}e? Just a few weeks ago they were listed ... now ... zilch.

Surely unrelated ... but the Laney website has been down all eveing as well. :(

• Members

Don't hold me to this, as I can't prove it anymore. But I could of swore I read last year that Laney went out of business and were slowly going to be phased out. I'm pretty sure it was Laney that was going out of business, but it could of possibley been another brand.

• Members

Originally posted by kadrocker

Don't hold me to this, as I can't prove it anymore. But I could of swore I read last year that Laney went out of business and were slowly going to be phased out. I'm pretty sure it was Laney that was going out of business, but it could of possibley been another brand.

I hope not. They make some damn good amplifiers.

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

With guys like Opeth and Mastodon using Laneys, I couldn't imagine they're hurting for business.

Of all bands, why those two? And no mention of Tony Iommi or Paul Gilbert? Jesus, you would think by your comment that Gilbert and Iommi are hacks and can't draw a crowd like Opeth and Mastadon...

• Members

Originally posted by marshallnoise

Of all bands, why those two? And no mention of Tony Iommi or Paul Gilbert? Jesus, you would think by your comment that Gilbert and Iommi are hacks and can't draw a crowd like Opeth and Mastadon...

Because I know both those bands use Laney, off the top of my head, and both draw in crowd, which are often slobbering fanboys.

And, for {censored}'s sake dude, I mentioned two "hot" bands right now, and you somehow interpret that as slagging on Gilbert and Iommi? Slow your roll, chief.

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

Because I know both those bands use Laney, off the top of my head, and both draw in crowd, which are often slobbering fanboys.

And, for {censored}'s sake dude, I mentioned two "hot" bands right now, and you somehow interpret that as slagging on Gilbert and Iommi? Slow your roll, chief.

and Freak kitchen

• Members

Most of the new kids scratch thier heads and say "Iommi what?" these days. No, Laney is by no means out of or about to go out of buisness. There have always been a severe shortage of Laney distributors in the US. It took me years to find my own Laney in a store-and even then, I happened on just as some guy was trading it in used at a Sam Ash. -The ONLY reason I found it. I havent yet seen another one new or old in ANY US retail store.

(and,no we didnt have an internet or ebay or any of those wonderfull tools the kids take for granted nowdays,when I was searching for it..come to think of it, we didnt even have computers at home then.....)

• Members

no we didnt have an internet or ebay or any of those wonderfull tools the kids take for granted nowdays,when I was searching for it..come to think of it, we didnt even have computers at home then.....)

"You kids today with yer 'Bogginers' and yer 'Krankies' ... In my day we had two choices ... 'Fender' or 'Marshall' ... pick ONE! And we had to DRIVE to the store to buy 'em, by golly! And it was uphill BOTH ways! But we were GLAD ta do it, too, by gum!" :freak:

(I sympathize ... I'm 43, and I remember having to drive two hours to check out a Marshall head, only to find the house belonged to a junkie musician who was selling off his stuff for dope and the head was so raggedy I wouldn't touch it for $100. Ahhh ... those were the days. :D )

• Members

Laney's have always been pretty hard to get. I had to wait 2-3 months to get mine, its been long enough I can't remember exactly.

Hopefully their distribution improves.

I would love to see more Laney's and Orange amps in stores.

DerekB should pick Laney up, assuming he likes their amps, since he trys to sell only amps that he likes.

• Members

I am becoming more and more impressed with the Laney combo. One of my tests is to be able to set a really good clean, crunchy, and singing tone for all my p'up positions, and the Laney does that beautifully. I've been able to dial in everything from SRV on my neck single-coil to a Bad Cat with Tele - Dave Grissom kinda vibe on the middle/bridge quacker to an early ZZ Top Brown Sugar thing. It does all of these quite passably, and I'm betting with a retube and speaker change I'll be smiling even wider.

I use the VHT Pitbull 2x10 combo as my goal when judging an amp (my favorite do-it-all amp), and the Laney is as close as anything else I've tried, including my modded Classic 30s/50s.

Me likee. :cool:

After a tube and speaker change ...

Me likee more. :thu:

Archived