I've just had an idea no manufacturer yet thought of (I think)!

evildragon

• Members

128z.jpg

A 128-key MIDI controller!

Things not shoop'd in:

* poly aftertouch

* big super ribbon controller

* 4 assignable XY pads (Zebra 2 needs this love)

* pitch wheel and 2 assignable modwheels OR the 2-axis joystick (interchangeable assembly)

* 6 pedal inputs in the back instead of 3 pedal inputs in the back (all assignable and switchable between continuous/toggle/latch)

* 16 faders (motorized) instead of 9 (non-motorized)

* 32 knobs instead of 8, in 2 rows above faders (endless rotary encoders with LEDs, think BCR2000)

* 32 buttons instead of 8, in 2 rows below the faders

* 16 velocity and aftertouch sensitive drum pads (think Fantom G)

* small LCD displays above every control, displaying current assignment

Price: I don't care, I WANT IT! :love:

RichF, respond! :cop:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, lovely concept for certain things. But for tones, the extreme low and high [far left & far right] notes would only be heard by a few humans, lol. Also, assuming the sound source is 128-note polyphonic [which is the max today I believe], that would mean each note can only play one voice max, right? Imagine playing a sampled piano:D

Is split mode a controller thing or a sound source thing?

Draw all those things you listed by hand, take a pic and send it to me. I'll make it look exactly how you want it. The panel will have to be wider though [y-axis]. 96 knobs, sliders, pads and all the LCDs is a lot:)

• Members

Split mode could be a controller thing - something like 16 zones, each having its own MIDI channel, velocity and keyboard range.

Thankfully I don't play a sampled piano :p But the usage COULD be for samples - I think that 88 keys are sometimes limiting for doing massive splits and whatnot. I'm sure Kontakt could use all those additional keys pretty well!

I'll supply you a diagram of what I had in mind on Monday, I'm going abroad for weekend. :)

Also it's 32 knobs not 96. Although it's not a bad idea :D:D:D

• Members

My guess is that 99% of the people who have 88-key instruments never use the bottom or top octaves, unless they play in a band and are using keyboard splits. But I've found it's better, ergonomically, to have sounds across smaller keyboards arranged vertically.

I am a pianist, and have an 88-key piano, but I have never owned an 88-key synthesizer. 61 are just fine for me.

• Members

Two 61-key controllers would do the job... or a 76 and a 61 if you want to cover every MIDI note # and have some overlap to boot. And you won't need a semi truck to transport it. :D

Would anyone's arms be long enough to reach the top and bottom octaves at the same time?

• Members

Cool idea- you could certainly do some awesome splits up and down the keyboard and be sitting in a stool with casters to slide to different split points.

What i've always wanted was some way for another person to play (drum pads and the onboard effects). So either it would be super long, in which case your "drummer" is right next to you, or it's done mirror image, so the drum pads and fx controls are on the other side of the board from the keyboard player.

• Members

How about curving the controller so the player sits in the center in a swiveling stool and just spins to the point of the keyboard he or she wants to play? Extreme ranges can be within an arm's reach that way too.

• Members

WAY too many keys. Today's music isn't that complicated. I created a controller for today's music not too long ago:

uni-key.jpg

It has a single key and a rotary dial to choose which note to fit today's popular music. I'll offer it in battleship grey (above) and eventually in a diamond studded, solid gold, blinged out version.

-Mc

• Members

Stabby, that looks much more useful! All the advantages of the OP's idea but without length that would prevent it from fitting in cars, nor the limitations of a single key action. But why 85 keys on the bottom?? Anyway, yeah... 88 weighted on bottom, 49 unweighted on top. But there should be some kind of 10-digit entry (keypad/buttons) in the control section. Also, the two boards have to line up (i.e. a C on the top keyboard has to align with a C on the bottom keyboard). And then keep it in the range of 30 pounds...

• Members

Go away with two-manual solutions here, I want ONE (not one key, McHale, although that joke cracked me up! :D).

One keyboard to rule them all! :cop: Note that my idea is generally for studio based solutions, not live performance. I guess I'll have mine custom-made. Some day. :(

• Members

WAY too many keys. Today's music isn't that complicated. I created a controller for today's music not too long ago:

uni-key.jpg
It has a single key and a rotary dial to choose which note to fit today's popular music. I'll offer it in battleship grey (above) and eventually in a diamond studded, solid gold, blinged out version.

-Mc

Add built-in T-Pain Auto-tune and you are set! :thu::lol:

• Members

Stabby, that looks much more useful! All the advantages of the OP's idea but without length that would prevent it from fitting in cars, nor the limitations of a single key action. But why 85 keys on the bottom??

I was just lazy with photoshop.

Archived