Eminence Legend speakers anyone?

-todgemistro-

• Members

I just came across a cheap cab on ebay that comes with two USA Eminence Legend speakers and was wondering what peoples opinions on em are? They seem to get good reviews on HC so I've allready got a good first impression. I'm hoping to use them with a Laney GH50L head, which I hear is quite a bright amp so the speakers cant be too bright.

Not sure what kinda voicing the Eminence speakers are, though I read one review that says "Mids are great and bass is wonderful, highs are good but not super exceptional, but they also lack the icepick shrill that older and newer speakers sometimes have" which sounds good to me, icepick is ALWAYs bad Another says the speaker gave his amp more depth and growl, which also sounds good.

The only thing I was concerned about is that I've only really seem Eminence in "American" amps (my HRDx also has some kinda Eminence which is very bright), whereas the Laney is supposedly more "british" sounding, which typically use Celestions in their cabs I guess..

Cheers for any help

• Members

Do you know which model of Legends they are? I have owned Legend GB12s before and I really like them a lot. However, I've heard people say some semi-disparaging things about the Legend V12s around here. There are a bunch of different Legend models I think?

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by -todgemistro-

Would you say they might be too bright with a Laney head or should they sound ok?

I've emailed the seller to see which model they are.

The GB12s are very British-sounding with a smooth top end, so actually pairing them up with a bright amp would be preferable. I often forget to turn up my presence when I play my EL34 heads through them, whereas through my Celestion-loaded cabs I have to back off about halfway or more to tame the treble.

• Members

Well the guy doesnt actually know the model number, but he responded with this:

"Hi there the speakers are the 12 inch series, they have a very rich and bassy sound with alot of depth, good for the mids and bass frequencys."

Oh heres a shot of the back of the speaker - no model number - http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/8d/52/fe_1.JPG

Sounds good for a bright amp such as the Laney. Hopefully the price stays under

• Members

ALL of the Eminence Legends look exactly like that picture.

The V12 (aka V128....as in 12 inch, 8 ohm) is, imo, too bright. The one I had was slightly damaged to the point that the voice coil would touch the basket whenever I played a low A too loud. The sound was ok, but not what I expected.

The Legend 105 and Legend 125 (aka Legend 1258) are much better me thinks. They dont sound so spikey and piercing on the highs like the V128 does, better balance across the freq spectrum.

I have a 2x10 with Legend 105's and a 2x12 with Legend 1258's, and both sound great compared to the V128. But the only way to know which one is in the cab you are looking at is to get the serial number and call Eminence and ask them. They all have that same label. They do not put exact model numbers on the Legends like they do with the Patriots and Red Coats.

• Members

Originally posted by soundchaser59

ALL of the Eminence Legends look exactly like that picture.

The V12 (aka V128....as in 12 inch, 8 ohm) is, imo, too bright. The one I had was slightly damaged to the point that the voice coil would touch the basket whenever I played a low A too loud. The sound was ok, but not what I expected.

The Legend 105 and Legend 125 (aka Legend 1258) are much better me thinks. They dont sound so spikey and piercing on the highs like the V128 does, better balance across the freq spectrum.

I have a 2x10 with Legend 105's and a 2x12 with Legend 1258's, and both sound great compared to the V128. But the only way to know which one is in the cab you are looking at is to get the serial number and call Eminence and ask them. They all have that same label. They do not put exact model numbers on the Legends like they do with the Patriots and Red Coats.

I'm not surprised. Mine has a white label on the side of the magnet that says the model info. V128 (v12 8 ohm)

• Members

Oh.. well from the guys description of the tone of the cab it sounds like it may be perfect for the Laney head anyway.. if not I can always try new speakers or something, as the cab isnt made of crappy chipboard apparently, he says some kinda hardwood.

I'd get the guy to look at the speaker, and tell you the actual model number. The GB12 is awesome, a lot of people use the V12s (I never have) and like them, but others are not so prominent in tube amps, like the Legend M12 (I think that's the name) which is used mainly for modeling amps. The 121 and 125 should be looked into, because they are not as popular, and there may be a reason for that (or not).

Once you find out, the Earcandy site (www.earcandycabs.com) has good descriptions of them if the forum isn't able to help.

peace,

David

• Members

Right.. so I'm probably gonna bid on this cab anyway as its going cheap and even if the speakers are crap, the enclosure will be well worth the price if it stays in my budget, then I can upgrade the speakers..

Anyway.. the guy says the cab is rated at 250w. However none of the Eminence speakers are 125w each so bit confused here.. unless you dont just add the wattages of the speakers? Maybe some other technical stuff, I'm not really good with it!

Last question. Where can I find a guide telling me how to add a cloth grille to a cab? It will need one as the baffles are ugly :p

• Members

Anyway.. the guy says the cab is rated at 250w. However none of the Eminence speakers are 125w each so bit confused here..

You are ok, yes you add the speaker ratings together.

None of the Legends is rated 125w, but the V128 (and V1216) is rated 120w, and the Legend 1218 is rated 150w, so perhaps he is either being conservative? Or he has over stated the rating by 10w?

Archived