Alesis ION or other synth?

• Members

The presets are trancey but you can create your own sounds. If you have a Little Phatty I'm sure you're good at subtractive synthesis by now
:thu:

Lots of rock bands use Nords by the way. A Nord Lead 2 would also be a great companion to the LP.

Thanks for your help. I tried one of those at friend's house, but it seemed a bit too cold for me. Any other reccomendations? How do you like the Alesis Fusion, btw?

• Members

I love the Fusion. It's got a lot more horsepower under the hood than pretty much anything else out there.

The interface isn't knobby though, so it's not as intuitive as some other synths out there like the Virus and the Nords. Also, it will sound similar to the Ion (both are made by Alesis) so if you think the Ion's too smooth you'll probably think that about the Fusion, too. I think that for me, the combination of the raw digital aggression of the SH-201 and the smoothness of the Fusion is a perfect match.

The Virus filter is pretty much digital perfection. I'm not in love with its oscillators though, but a good filter can go a long way into making seemingly-thin oscillators sound super-fat. My EX-8000 is a good testimony for that.

...speaking of which...

The DW-8000 (keyboard version of the EX-8000) to me is a perfectly awesome poly synth for rock styles. I hate that interface (which is the reason I don't program the EX-8000 more), but if you get a software editor it could rock your world, and it can be had for peanuts these days.

• Members

Yes, it has a VA engine very similar to the Ion. If you just get it as a ROMpler, you'll be missing out. The different synth engines and the ability to combine them and create sounds using the HUGE mod matrix are what makes this synth so unique. It's got OK rompler sounds - some are phenomenal, others just plain suck.

• Members

One more vote for the Nord Lead. If you think it's cold, you need to program it. I got some really fat sounds out of my NL2x, including a pad I made last week that reminded me of a polymoog sound I heard somewhere. Run it through a delay (I use the Boss RE-20) and you've got an awesome board that complements the Little Phatty nicely.

• Members

Right on, which one would be suited for a rock band? (As I don't do any trance/techno stuff). I thought I remember the Polar TI virus' to be a bit too trancey for my needs.

Tool uses viruses (the lead guitarist has one virus module controlled by a taurus style pedal, and one keyboard one he plays together with an organ module), so it should fit well into a rock/metal setting.

• Members

That's quite a price range, Ion up to PC3X.
:lol:

If you're serious, I'd say get the PC3X.

I am serious. I don't wanna f' around with something that I'll just sell later, just to upgrade for something better. I've got a lead on a PC3X, like new, for $1800...good price? I know they just came out with the PC3K, but it'll probably cost almost twice that much...so, what I'm thinking is, buy the PC3X now and when the new K series comes out (or after it's come down in price), I'll upgrade to that.

• Members

Tool uses viruses (the lead guitarist has one virus module controlled by a taurus style pedal, and one keyboard one he plays together with an organ module), so it should fit well into a rock/metal setting.

Cool, I didn't know that. Have a link to a video of it being used in Adam's rig by any chance?

• Members

Cool, I didn't know that. Have a link to a video of it being used in Adam's rig by any chance?

Didn't know that either untill I watched this rig demo.

HEVu7WTeQHw

The demo is more centered on his guitar rig, but they do show how he uses the synths as well, starting at about 2:26.

• Members

Congrats!! You made an excellent decision, I think. If I had the cash, I'd have a PC3x too. Or at least a PC361.

Edit: Blimey, ProAudioStar is selling brand new PC361s for 1495 and free shipping
:eek:

Thanks mang. They also have the PC3X there for $2200. I got mine for 2k with a gig bag, though. :rawk:

Archived