I know people pick on Marshall Valvestate stuff

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

...But I'm really falling in love with my VS30r all over again. I got it a loooong time before I knew of anything besides marshall, gibson, or fender. I did retarded things back then when it came to dialing in tone, hahahaha. Now that I have had some high dollar stuff in my hands and I really have something to compare it to, I really appreciate what I hear even more. A bit of the fizz is present, sure, but I don't mind it so much. It really stays true to the marshall tone as well, even tho it gets damn heavy.

Anybody else play these? Am I just crazy? I'm thinkin of swappin a speaker, or possibly making it into a head but it's having some volume drop issues and also the input jack is a bit out of whack. Some times it just buzzes really loud until you jiggle it a bit. Taking it apart might make that worse.

I dunno, probably just having some fun with an old favorite I guess...

• Members

one of the best sounding amps i ever played through at fairly low volumes was an old as hell and beat-to-absolute-{censored} VS80 1x12 combo that one of my friends owned, and probably still has. granted, it was a (mostly) solid state combo, and once turned up a bit, sounded brittle, tinny, and bad...but from bedroom to "the neighbors are only mildly annoyed" kind of volume, the thing sounded fantastic. you're not crazy...the first valvestate models actually did sound pretty good if used right.

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

...But I'm really falling in love with my VS30r all over again.

I have that same amp. I use a Metal Zone as a clean boost. The main problem i've found is that the stock speaker sounds really buzzy. Otherwise it sounds pretty good. I love the cleans too.

How do you get your heavy tones?

• Members

there's a guy on here that gigs blues/classic rock regularly(several gigs each week) thru a Marshall Valvestate and his tone kicks all kinds of ass, but I can't remember his name! Maybe he will see this and chime in...

Chuck Schuldiner(R.I.P.) played thru Marshall Valvestate amps, but I don't know the model, and he was freakin' blazin'(if you like death metal, which I do).

Frankly, it's my opinion that alot of these guys are just trying to justify to themselves paying multiple months salaries on gear... is there a difference? Sure. Is there THAT much difference? Not really - not thousands of dollars difference.

If you like it, play it - and have fun! :thu:

• Members

Anybody else play these? Am I just crazy? I'm thinkin of swappin a speaker, or possibly making it into a head but it's having some volume drop issues and also the input jack is a bit out of whack. Some times it just buzzes really loud until you jiggle it a bit. Taking it apart might make that worse.

I dunno, probably just having some fun with an old favorite I guess...

Gear is just gear, man. I get tired of all the drama surrounding it on places like this sometimes.... and I even have to remove myself from it sometimes to keep it from getting pathological. I find myself choosing gear based on what others think instead of just being happy with what I have. It gets to be like an arms race.

Really, the fact is, the guitar is an inherently beautiful musical instrument. For the most part given something halfway reasonable, cool and wonderful sounds can be made... When I was a kid and just started, I had a gorilla amp. I remember finally nailing the Crazy Train main riff... it seemed so hard at the time but when I got it right finally and played it along with my boom box, I thought it sounded fucking great, I didn't care that I was playing a Gorilla amp. I think recapturing that excitement and fun, the essence of the beginner's mind and heart, is where the magic is and is the key to progress as a musician/player/person.

I was going back through my old guitar mags the other day and read an interview with Nuno. Now, Nuno is probably in my top three all-time fave players for both attitude and tone. In fact, one of the reasons I have two ADA preamps to this day is because of Nuno. Well, he said something very interesting. He basically said he had trouble talking about and remembering rigs because, he was always really easily satisified with gear. It was clearly difficult for him to be excessively opinionated about it, because he typically found unless it was flat-out horrible or borken, he could make a sound with it that was interesting/good to him. Well, if that attitude is good enough for Nuno, I guess it could suit some of us as well. :D

Don't get me wrong new gear can be inspiring. Quality gear can make you want to play. But in the end the source of the music is you. Make that Valvestate kick some ass.

• Members

I have a Marshall VS230 (60watts w/ 2 - 10's) and I like it a lot. I swapped the stock speakers for a set of Eminence and it sounds even better. It's not my main amp, but like it enough to hang on to it.

Interestingly enough, a few months ago I needed to open up the back to fix a loose jack connection and I figured I'd try putting in a JJ Tesla tube to see if it made any difference. Once it was open I found, to my surprise, that there was no valve in the Valvestate! After some research, I found that only the higher end models actually have a tube in the pre-amp. The other models have some kind of "tube emulation circuitry" that supposedly gives a tube effect. I though that was pretty cheesy, but I still like the amp. I've also owned two other Valvestates - a VS65R and a Bi-Chorus 200 (a great amp, but too heavy to lug up and down the stairs so I traded it for the VS230).

• Members

I have a Marshall VS230 (60watts w/ 2 - 10's) and I like it a lot. I swapped the stock speakers for a set of Eminence and it sounds even better. It's not my main amp, but like it enough to hang on to it.

Interestingly enough, a few months ago I needed to open up the back to fix a loose jack connection and I figured I'd try putting in a JJ Tesla tube to see if it made any difference. Once it was open I found, to my surprise, that there was no valve in the Valvestate! After some research, I found that only the higher end models actually have a tube in the pre-amp. The other models have some kind of "tube emulation circuitry" that supposedly gives a tube effect. I though that was pretty cheesy, but I still like the amp. I've also owned two other Valvestates - a VS65R and a Bi-Chorus 200 (a great amp, but too heavy to lug up and down the stairs so I traded it for the VS230).

• Members

I have an old VSR65 that I leave at rehearsal. I really like it! My main amp is an F-50 and that is what I use as my "standard" to compare to. The Valvstate holds it's own. I use a Digitech 2120 rack effects process in the loop which really buffers things up, makes a big difference from just playing striaght into it. I just had it opened up for thr first time last week and changed the tube. In fact tonight will be the first night at band practice that I will see at "band level" what difference swapping the stock Marshall tube with a JJ will make.

Good amps, I'm thinking about buying a VS100 watt head to use as a backup on stage. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Murdoch7621

granted, it was a (mostly) solid state combo, and once turned up a bit, sounded brittle, tinny, and bad...but from bedroom to "the neighbors are only mildly annoyed" kind of volume, the thing sounded fantastic.

Very true... it does have a solid state stiffness to it, but I actually like it overall. The cleans get super jazzy too, especially when drenched in verb.

Originally posted by noquarter1983

Now I will note. I only heard this one amp. It wasn't in person, it was on his recordings. It was sorta fuzzy and not very warm.

I have recorded this amp before with the same results. It sounds like a different amp on tape.

Actually it just sounds on tape like it does when it's turned waaaaaaaay up. This amp really relies on having some space between you and it. I haven't tried distance mic'ing it with a good condensor yet, only a 57 right up on the grill. A good room takes this amp a long way.

my heavy (clock) settings are:

Gain: 2 Bass: 3 Contour: 10 Treble: 10

thats a pretty dark and scooped tone, but I get pretty good mid heavy tones out of it too. I'll go tweaking for brighter stuff later tonight for you.

• Members

I forgot to mention - when I'm not using my V-Amp2, I play thru a Marshall MG15CDR, and it's pretty damn cool for a $139 practice amp.

Screw the haters! :p

It may be solid state, and it may only be rated at 15 watts, but it sounds like a Marshall & it'll shake my floorboards, my neighbor downstairs will attest to that!

:D

• Members

Very true... it does have a solid state stiffness to it,

my heavy (clock) settings are:

Gain: 2 Bass: 3 Contour: 10 Treble: 10

jesus damn!

My amp did not like highs. I dialed the fizz out by going ZERO on the highs.

Sounded just fine....um, to me.

• Members

I've got an AVT20 that I bought about 5 years ago that died... upon readin this thread, I opened it up, cleaned it up, plugged it in, and voila! Works like a charm. Except I couldn't pull the speaker cables back through the chassis, so the back isn't closed right now (which definately sounds better). Decent little amp, sounds WAY better through my 4x12. Gonna have to add that to the sig! Thanks guys! :thu:

Archived