What's the difference between the various Orange Amps?

bob the dentist

• Members

Originally posted by spoonie g

You can listen to my band's clips to get a bit of an idea.... The best example would be "With One Flinch." I think that has by far the most Orange, but only on the distorted parts. The cleans are an ac-30.

After listening to your band, I definitely get what you mean about "wet" now, and it's about what I expected, I just wasn't sure.

• Members

Originally posted by fiveightandten

No Orange amps have any amount of clean headroom to speak highly of. The only thing with good amounts of headroom is the dedicated clean channel on the RV100. OR-120's are deafeningly loud, but don't have a lot of headroom compared to the volume they put out. They also distort very abruptly. AD series amps distort more gradually, so they have even less clean headroom. Oranges just don't really do pristine cleans. It's more of a broken up, tubey clean, with little prickly overtones to it.

The AD's don't have anywhere near the gain that a 5150 does. But it's real tough to say gain set to "X" on the AD140 is the same amount of gain as the 5150 set to "X". Oranges get a lot of their raunch from pushing the power amp, so it depends real heavily on how loud you play them. High gainers like the 5150 are designed to get most of the saturation from the pre-amp, so the sound changes less as you turn them up.

I'd say if you're one of those guys that would need to gain mod a JCM800, the AD heads won't have enough gain for you. They're also not all that aggressively voiced. Not a great metal amp IMO. The RV is designed more with that in mind. The OR's are by far the most aggressively voiced, are about the same gain territory as the AD's, and have a tighter response and just plain sound bigger.

I say you take a listen to some sound clips, then ask questions with those as a reference point. Like..."AD owners, would you say this clip is about X amount of gain, is it capable of a lot more?" kind of thing.

Check this site out:

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/CompareAmps/CompareAmps.html

And check out the clips on the Orange forum:

http://www.orangeamps.com/forumtest/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3528

Here's a clip of my 70's OR-120, running on 2 tubes into a Hiwatt 4x12 loaded with V30's. Gibson SG '61 RI>>low gain input at about half volume. About half the bass and treble potential of the amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=406823&songID=4610116

Here's some clips that feature my 90's OR-120. It's not metal, but there are parts in all these songs where it gets reasonably overdriven. You just have to take a few minutes to listen. Most songs have the more overdriven parts towards the end.

In this set cleans are Vox AC-30 TBX, overdrive is the OR-120 into a Hiwatt 4x12. Non master volume, volume at about noon, so it was about halfway up. It distorts a lot more if you push it harder.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=406823&songID=2900752

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=406823&songID=3705029

For these the OR-120 is in the left channel (into a Marshall 1960AX). . JCM800 in the right channel.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=406823&songID=2901149

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=406823&songID=2901223

For these, it's in the left channel again (into the 1960AX). Right channel is a Vox AC-30TBX.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=406823&songID=3831085

Softer song.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=406823&songID=2900905

Hope that helps.

-Nick

Thanks for all your help man, I really appreciate it. I listened to your stuff, it was really good, especially that instrumental. The thing was, on some of it I liked the JCM tone more :freak:

It seems to me that the Orange AD140 (and the RV 50, from what I heard) can pretty much do exactly what I expected it to. I did want a Cobra, but I figured "Why just get another metal amp?" The problem is, I don't think at this point in time I'm comfortable having an amp that can't handle metal-type riffing that well, and it doesn't seem like the Orange can handle that. If someone could find a clip of an Orange of someone doing something like that, that would be great.

And by comfortable, I mean live. The other dude in my band keeps bringing solid state crap to practice, and it pisses me off, so I wanted to get another amp head so we might have at least a decent sound :o

oh and BTW, please don't think I'm a n00b for comparing everything to my 5150. That is honestly my only point of reference, besides a Stiletto that I hated and never played.

• Members

Originally posted by bob the dentist

I'm wondering mainly about the difference between the AD30 and the AD140...same specs...they look the same...different wattages.

:confused:

Also, the difference between the Rockerverbs and the AD's would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Bob !!

I sure hope this crown holds up dammit !! It sure cost enough :mad:

I owned both an AD30TC and an AD140TC. The AD30 sounds pretty good and the 140 sounded like crap.... I mean horrible !! ! :freak: I installed all known good tubes in it and it still sounded grainy and crappy. I only owned it 2 weeks before it was back up for sale. :confused:

I would hope they all don't sound that poor...... it was like a solid state distortion with mine. :cry:

Now WHY is it that my appointment is at 3:15, and I am there on time, but you guys don't call my name until 4:00 ??:mad: :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by bob the dentist

Thanks for all your help man, I really appreciate it. I listened to your stuff, it was really good, especially that instrumental. The thing was, on some of it I liked the JCM tone more
:freak:

It seems to me that the Orange AD140 (and the RV 50, from what I heard) can pretty much do exactly what I expected it to. I did want a Cobra, but I figured "Why just get another metal amp?" The problem is, I don't think at this point in time I'm comfortable having an amp that can't handle metal-type riffing that well, and it doesn't seem like the Orange can handle that. If someone could find a clip of an Orange of someone doing something like that, that would be great.

And by comfortable, I mean live. The other dude in my band keeps bringing solid state crap to practice, and it pisses me off, so I wanted to get another amp head so we might have at least a decent sound
:o

oh and BTW, please don't think I'm a n00b for comparing everything to my 5150. That is honestly my only point of reference, besides a Stiletto that I hated and never played.

Truthfully, I think the 800 sounds better than the Orange on that recording, as well. The one with the 800 and the Orange, and the one with the Vox in the right channel and the Orange in the left channel...that's not me playing. It's my guitar player borrowing the head, and insisting on using his 1960AX, and dialing it in how he liked it. We have different tastes.

But the first clip of the 70's head, that's what the amp sounds like, IMO. And the 2nd set of clips (which were pre-vocal mixes), that's me playing both channels, so that's how I dial it in (at that point in time at least, that recording is about 6 years old now).

But regardless, sounds like an Orange may not be for you. I mean, if you're searching for something about one of those amps that you like...chances are none of them are something that will make you happy.

Let's be honest about it, the Orange tolex draws people in. That's how they get most of their hype, the looks. I actually bought mine because I heard OR-120's on a few recordings and decided whatever amp it was, I loved it (specifically some Shiner, Jimmy Eat World, and Engine Down records) and had to have one. Just turned out to be an Orange (i'm also that way with Vox AC-30's, which is my other favorite amp). But for the people that are drawn to them because of the looks...it may or may not end there. If you find you're trying to convince yourself they sound good, I think you have an answer for yourself.

I think Orange is a great company that has made some fantastic products over the years. But not everything they make is great, and their amps aren't for everyone, even the good ones. I think you should look around at some other stuff.

-Nick

• Members

Originally posted by fiveightandten

Truthfully, I think the 800 sounds better than the Orange on that recording, as well. The one with the 800 and the Orange, and the one with the Vox in the right channel and the Orange in the left channel...that's not me playing. It's my guitar player borrowing the head, and insisting on using his 1960AX, and dialing it in how he liked it. We have different tastes.

But the first clip of the 70's head, that's what the amp sounds like, IMO. And the 2nd set of clips (which were pre-vocal mixes), that's me playing both channels, so that's how I dial it in (at that point in time at least, that recording is about 6 years old now).

But regardless, sounds like an Orange may not be for you. I mean, if you're searching for something about one of those amps that you like...chances are none of them are something that will make you happy.

Let's be honest about it, the Orange tolex draws people in. That's how they get most of their hype, the looks. I actually bought mine because I heard OR-120's on a few recordings and decided whatever amp it was, I loved it (specifically some Shiner, Jimmy Eat World, and Engine Down records) and had to have one. Just turned out to be an Orange (i'm also that way with Vox AC-30's, which is my other favorite amp). But for the people that are drawn to them because of the looks...it may or may not end there. If you find you're trying to convince yourself they sound good, I think you have an answer for yourself.

I think Orange is a great company that has made some fantastic products over the years. But not everything they make is great, and their amps aren't for everyone, even the good ones. I think you should look around at some other stuff.

-Nick

Hey man thanks for those clips. I picked up a Rocker 30 earlier this year, but now I'm dying to try out an OR... You're basically giving the advice I meant to give but didnt have the time to give/write out about these amps. I don't see someone who's happy with the 5150 for what they play moving onto the Orange just for something different and being completely pleased. Way less gain, way less compression (in the case of everything but the RV), and way different bottom end, which, judging from Bob's tastes and his settings on his 5150, are going to be important factors (more the compression and low end than gain).

• Members

Originally posted by AtarisPunk29

Hey man thanks for those clips. I picked up a Rocker 30 earlier this year, but now I'm dying to try out an OR... You're basically giving the advice I meant to give but didnt have the time to give/write out about these amps. I don't see someone who's happy with the 5150 for what they play moving onto the Orange just for something different and being completely pleased. Way less gain, way less compression (in the case of everything but the RV), and way different bottom end, which, judging from Bob's tastes and his settings on his 5150, are going to be important factors (more the compression and low end than gain).

Yeah, you're right...I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna go for a Cobra.

Still, it was very nice of all you guys to come help me out with my orange Q's :wave:

• 1 month later...

Archived