Which Tubes for my 5150 II????

Chrisjd

• Members

Hi guys, I have a show next thursday, and my amp just decided it needs new power and pre tubes. I have a 5150 II that I run on lead channel. I am looking for the tube that will give me the most raw grind, growl, bark, and overall aggressiveness from my amp. I want that laser "edge" to my palm mutes. Can you make some suggestions? I have heard good things about JJ 6l6's, but that is really all that i am familiar with. Right now I have the stock tubes in the amp. Also, should I bias the amp? If so, what should I have it biased to? I dont care about tube life, I just want to find "my" sound.

Please help, I dont have much time!

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

I'm going to be getting new tubes for my 5150 soon, I'm probably going to go with Svetlana 6L6's and 9th Gen. Chinese with a NOS RFT in V1 for the preamp. I think the JJ tubes are very overrated in the 5150.

I thought you were banned? Damn moderators can't even ban people right! :thu:

• Members

i like jjs in the power section.
i have always had an odd mix in my pre section.
i have a jj in the phase inverter and in 2 other places, a nos JAN phillips 5751 in v1, a GT mullard reissue in there somewhere too.

nothing really strategic about it really, i just sounds good to me.

• Members

I've got the JJ power/9th gen chinese pre tube setup and I like it pretty well. As with anything, once you get one setup, you want to try another. I'm GASsing now for some Tung Sol pre's...I may just get one for V1, though. Next time I retube, I'll be looking at Svetlana's for the power section.

For power tubes, I currently have the stock Sovteks, some Ruby's, and the JJ's. To me, the stock tubes were the weakest, the Ruby's had a hint more low end, but were slightly looser than the JJ's. The JJ's have the most aggressive tone to my ears. Good solid low end, but not as loose or thick as the Ruby's, but they have an aggressive edge to them. Matched up with the 9th gen Chinese 12AX7's, it sounds pretty sweet to me.

• Members

Originally posted by nwright

I've got the JJ power/9th gen chinese pre tube setup and I like it pretty well. As with anything, once you get one setup, you want to try another. I'm GASsing now for some Tung Sol pre's...I may just get one for V1, though. Next time I retube, I'll be looking at Svetlana's for the power section.

For power tubes, I currently have the stock Sovteks, some Ruby's, and the JJ's. To me, the stock tubes were the weakest, the Ruby's had a hint more low end, but were slightly looser than the JJ's. The JJ's have the most aggressive tone to my ears. Good solid low end, but not as loose or thick as the Ruby's, but they have an aggressive edge to them. Matched up with the 9th gen Chinese 12AX7's, it sounds pretty sweet to me.

Thank you!

Archived