OT: So I just saw Jesus Camp

voodoopower

• Members

I have to see this movie. GOD WARRIORS!!!!

OT: Ive talked to a woman like this. Did anyone say that episode of wifeswap or trading spouses (I dont remember which one it is) where that crazy lady flipped out?? Gargoyles!!! Psychics!! Its all UnGODLY!!!
I called a buddy of mine in Louisiana, missed a digit on the keypad, and some how ended up talking to that woman for about 15 minutes on the phone ha ha ha. True Story

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by indespise

Not when you boil it down to what drives them. The mindset that your way is the only way, infallible and unquestionable, and that all must accept your way or suffer is what drives both kinds of extremists. Look back theough history and you'll see that Christians have commited more than their share of brutality in the name of their God, in fact, the Muslims haven't nearly caught up yet (not that I want them to). Listen to what the fat bitch in the first video says: "There are two kinds of people in this world- people who love Jesus, and people who don't". Think about that one, particularly in context to the militant overtones used throughout ("PRAISE HIS RIGHTEOUS JUDGEMENT!!!", "WHO HERE WANTS TO DIE FOR JESUS CHRIST?" and "ARE YOU A PART OF IT, OR NOT?!! come to mind), it's the same driving force, the same mentality as Muslim extremists. To deny it would be to willingly turn a blind eye while the seed of religious facism grows under your own feet. If nothing else, think about what this is doing to those innocent kids, that will screw a young mind up very badly.

Of course, both claim to be driven by their faith , nothing new here. The difference is that The muslim extremists Cut of heads, strap on bombs and the Christian extremists walk around condemning people , making asses out of themselves... again Same driveing force, different practices.... In theory, theyre both very bad but in practice here in the real world, Islamic fundies take the prize for insidiousness....

Do I feel for the kids, you bet I do but I have more hope for them than I do for the other side... I see and hear direct comparisons made all the time but Im just not buying it....

• Members

Meh.

Watched it on video this past weekend. My girlfriend was all :eek: the whole time, but she wasn't raised in any church or religion specifically.

I was raised intensely Southern Baptist, and the movie looked exactly like camps, events, and churches that I went to while growing up. I was kind of wondering what the big deal was, because alot of this stuff is exactly the same as it was in the late 80's and early 90's when I was there, and nobody really cared about it then. :confused:

The whole time I was thinking "If you truly believe that you are right, and that the path you are following is the only way to redemtion, wouldn't you teach it to YOUR kids? And aggressively, too?"

Now they may be wrong, or too extreme, but they do have a right to their beliefs, and the right to teach their kids the same thing.

And just because someone's beliefs are too "out there" for you, doesn't mean they're wrong and you're right...unless you know of some sort of unquestionable standard of "right and wrong" the rest of the world hasn't figured out yet.... :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Meatbeard

I have to see this movie. GOD WARRIORS!!!!

OT: Ive talked to a woman like this. Did anyone say that episode of wifeswap or trading spouses (I dont remember which one it is) where that crazy lady flipped out?? Gargoyles!!! Psychics!! Its all UnGODLY!!!

I called a buddy of mine in Louisiana, missed a digit on the keypad, and some how ended up talking to that woman for about 15 minutes on the phone ha ha ha. True Story

no {censored}?that woman is completely insane and a hazard to the people around her.

• Members

Originally posted by Negative K3 fan

no {censored}?that woman is completely insane and a hazard to the people around her.

I'm pretty sure she's a comedian. I remember reading her profile (this was on her own site), and it just seemed odd that she would act like that in a serious fashion. At least I'm hoping so...

• Members
Originally posted by Ballfuzz

I think those Christians are ridiculous. It's really retarded.

I definitely think we could do without them.

We could also definitely do without the radical muslims.

I personally think the world would be much better place without religion, and for the most part, religion sickens me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vbTpy5ybgnE

This is what's really sad. :cry:

Those Christians are nowhere close to this.

• Members

Not when you boil it down to what drives them. The mindset that your way is the only way, infallible and unquestionable, and that all must accept your way or suffer is what drives both kinds of extremists. Look back theough history and you'll see that Christians have commited more than their share of brutality in the name of their God, in fact, the Muslims haven't nearly caught up yet (not that I want them to). Listen to what the fat bitch in the first video says: "There are two kinds of people in this world- people who love Jesus, and people who don't". Think about that one, particularly in context to the militant overtones used throughout ("PRAISE HIS RIGHTEOUS JUDGEMENT!!!", "WHO HERE WANTS TO DIE FOR JESUS CHRIST?" and "ARE YOU A PART OF IT, OR NOT?!! come to mind), it's the same driving force, the same mentality as Muslim extremists. To deny it would be to willingly turn a blind eye while the seed of religious facism grows under your own feet. If nothing else, think about what this is doing to those innocent kids, that will screw a young mind up very badly.

The difference is true Christianity says 'Live and let live'; God is supposed to do the judging. Suprisingly, there are numerous similiarities between Christianity and modern psychology: 'Accept yourself as you are, accept your past mistakes, don't dwell on them but learn from them and become a better person.'

But what you're doing here is using a few crackpots in this movie as indicative of all Christians (..."a look into the mind of the Evangelical") and that's just the same as saying Gays molest kids and all minorities are criminals... I'm not a diehard Christian or anything, I'm just saying... there's a lot of people on this board that stick to their "I'm-metal-so-I-must-adhere-to-everything-anti-Christian"-- people who won't call their own bull{censored} and it's tired...

• Members

Originally posted by Negative K3 fan

What's funny is, now this is no excuse for her ridiculous actions whatsoever, but, she said that what the producers told her was the opposite of what the scenario ended up being. They told her that she was switching wifes with a family of health nuts that were going to put her on a strict diet (which she needs obviously). Instead, she ended up at a Pagan's house ha ha ha. So, she flipped out. She was actually very nice on the phone. She seemed very aggitated when she picked up because appearantly her number had gotten loose on the internet some how and people had been giving her hate calls all day ha.

• Members

Originally posted by metalpoida

do they cut peoples heads off while they are alive and treat their pet dogs better than women?

Not now. But mindless brainwashing leads to {censored}e like that. It certainly has, in the name of Christianity, in the past. Many times.

• Members

Maybe I'm cool because it's cool to hate on Evangelical Christians, but whenever preacher Gary comes on campus here and starts yelling at us that we are all going to burn in Hell, it gets a bit annoying. Whenever I see some assholes by the side of the road with a megaphone and a big poster of a dead fetus, it gets a bit old.

• Members

i see alot of comparison between radical christians and radical muslims. i'm 100% sure that if the radical christians lived in the same type of countries that the radical muslims do, they would be doing bombings, etc just the same. don't forget that christians were routinely bombing abortion clinics just a few years ago.

• Members

I consider myself a serious Christian and I find that what I think the film stands for is the very worst in both christianity and religion. I cannot be any more certain about the film since I am only going on the trailers I have seen and a couple of shows exposing the tripe on TV, but I think I get the big picture.

I have quit a couple churches I used to attend over issues as subtle as emotionalism. I think that there is a difference between true spiritual feeling and the skillful manipulation of our emotions, but this kind of "in your face" promotionalism and isolationism shown in the film (I think) is just evil, IMO.

I am both ashamed and embarrased that this type of thing goes on in the name of Christ. I can only hope that most of you guys know that this is about as far as one can get from the real message of Jesus, who came not to judge the world but to save it.

Peace
Bob

• Members

I did some music work for some local summer camps and worship services a few years back.

I actually worked with Becky Fischer (the lady in Jesus Camp). She's from Bismarck, and the camp is up by Devil's Lake. She's definitely scary hard core serious about her faith. She wasn't quite as out there when I worked with her as she seems to be now.

But yeah, you'll see hard core Christians all over. I worked with a few southern Pentacostal churches when I lived down south. I think that there is a certain degree of sensationalism inherent in documentaries such as 'Jesus Camp.'

• Members
Originally posted by DeathMonkey

Between megachurches, Christian Broadcasting, and whatever stay at home whinging bitches keep the Gays out of Wal*Mart, we are seeing an explosion of crybaby Christians who have no sense of perspective.

Helping the less fortunate one 300 foot flat panel display at a time. And then making sure those fag teletubbies and that Satan's Spawn Harry Potter never grace it with their unholy image.

I hope Gay marriage passes and all their heads explode.

megachurch.jpg
slide10_crystal_interior_2.jpg
megachurch.jpg
articleoftheweekd15.jpg

not very 'tolerant' my hypocritical and angry, quick to judge and so slow to understand friend...

• Members

The difference is that Christians dont kill those that dont agree with them (not since the obviously errant zealous crusades approach that all mainstream evangelicals TOTALLY reject)...you are becoming an easy dupe for emotional propaganda against Christianity...a standard straw man attack...are you so easily and emotionally swayed into hating another?

• Members
Originally posted by Fl00

I'm confused as to what's exactly happening. So, this is a movie about fundamentalist Christians. Whoopdee-do! There are always going to be those who distort 'faith' to meet their needs. Watching those videos really didn't do anything for me. Yes, I don't like the huge mega-churches and those who call out against Harry Potter (and yet Christians have a tendancy of loving anything that is Lord of the Rings--didn't they use magic in there as well?
:confused:
), but so what? Just ignore them and go on with your life. I do it, and I find that I have more times to do stuff more...important and useful. Don't brand all of the Christian faith as some horrible thing, just because you saw a video and read a bunch of internet posts about it.

(Sorry, this whole "I HATE PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THAT THEY'RE RIGHT IN THEIR BELIEFS" is just bothering me--we all fundamentally believe that we're right in our belief, no matter what side you take--hence the word 'belief' )
:idea:

Well said...:thu:

• Members

Why is it ok to bash Christianity, but all other religions are shielded by the PC police? Why is it ok for Madonna to mock Christ on tour, but not ok for a Danish newspaper or any newspaper for that matter to print photos of Mohammed?

• Members

Iunno, I see people bashing extreme religious zealots of all kinds, not just those that use Christianity. The extremists who seek to push their beliefs into our government & back down to the public in general *must* be repudiated. This kind of thing has been a danger all throughout US history, it has ebbed & flowed.

We have seperation of church & state for a very good reason.

• Members

Originally posted by 46&2

We have seperation of church & state for a very good reason.

most people think that 'separation of church and state' is a directive to shield the state/govt from religious people...actually it is the opposite. Separation of church and state is (in context) a statement there to protect the people from a federal or state imposed religion as law. It does not (or was not intended) to exclude those of any faith from participating in American politics, policy or legislation. Or to exclude people of faith from the public square or arena of ideas from which social mores are formed/derived.

• Members

The difference is that Christians dont kill those that dont agree with them (not since the obviously errant zealous crusades approach that all mainstream evangelicals TOTALLY reject)...you are becoming an easy dupe for emotional propaganda against Christianity...a standard straw man attack...are you so easily and emotionally swayed into hating another?

Actually, I can first recall the crusades as the earliest form of violence from Christians, followed by the Inquisition, Christianity through force in the new Americas and Asia, the KKK, bombings of abortion clinics.

• Members
Originally posted by Echoes

most people think that 'separation of church and state' is a directive to shield the state/govt from religious people...actually it is the opposite. Separation of church and state is (in context) a statement there to protect the people from a federal or state imposed religion as law. It does not (or was not intended) to exclude those of any faith from participating in American politics, policy or legislation. Or to exclude people of faith from the public square or arena of ideas from which social mores are formed/derived.

Yeah but it should exclude faith based ideas and social mores from determing law... Not everyone subscribes to the same system of values.. Like it or not, thats an incredibley important dynamic...

Archived