Is this the most overpriced thing ever made?

Thorhead

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope they will keep the current "discount thing" on when it comes out.
:lol:

Really like Blofeld more and more. At first i thought it sounded "too soft" compared to XT, but soon realized as synth of its own... it's really nice. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFofAhlc9UY&t=7m34s

...i shit my pants.
:lol:

Hey that sounds pretty good. The samples seem to sound pretty good as well. I hate the blofeld coldigital sound though. But it still sounds pretty good actually.

Virus still sounds a bit better IMO. Lot has to do probably with the FX.

here is quiet nice song made with the blo:

5kMLIR4a32E

WTF is blofeld doing in the topic for most overpriced synths anyway?

• Members

Yeah, If would only go back to the 70 ( and making 70's income) and have to plunk down $7,000 on a CS-80 that weighs 200 pounds, stored a whopping 2 patches, had no MIDI or USB, and only 8 note polyphony. I knew the day would come when the younger generation who has grown up with free music, would feel cheated if they had to buy an instrument.

• Members

Liked, but not at that price definitely! OK sounding, but obviously commercialized. Definitely not worth the price IMO. Certain presets were very nice, but overdrowned in effects all the same. And then when you figure out the rest of presets are pretty much drowned in FX in the similar way, it kinda makes you scratch your head a bit. Then again I like Waldorf's synthesis and general sound more. Virus is more of a "me too" synth.

• Members

personally i think the 12 core mac pro tower at $5000 is just crazy. then if you want to upgrade the video card $$$$$. the haken continuum is pretty insanely expensive. jazz mutant lemur/dexter, pro tools | HD, moog voyager xl, etc etc etc.

i compared the specs of the oasys to an ipad and i'm pretty sure if you rooted both devices you could totally run the software on it. some of the modular stuff is pretty harsh like modcan, serge, etc but buchla really takes the cake.

they're raison d'etre is apparently experimental/music concrete and it seems kinda ironic. in the art world we have to put limitations on ourselves but modulars like the buchla attempt to provide the most flexibility. so then the only limitations are economic.

its a catch 22, only the richest, most established mainstream acts can afford the gear while simultaneously being the least likely to push the envelope :facepalm:

• Members

price report from malaysia

Kurzweil PC3X - US$2400 - acceptable

Korg M50 - US$1000 - Just right

Korg M3-61 - US$2100 - not too bad

Roland Ax Synth - US$1389 - ridiculous

Juno Stage - US$1700 - ughhhhh

Yamaha Motif XF6 - US$3500 - stabs self

Yamaha MO6 - US$1900 - :facepalm:

to buy yamahas, I have to travel to singapore.

rolands are equally expensive in singapore.

korg's prices in malaysia and singapore are similar.

what's putting me off from buying kurzweil? lousy international support. 6 month warranty WTF?

• Members

price report from malaysia

Kurzweil PC3X - US$2400 - acceptable

Korg M50 - US$1000 - Just right

Korg M3-61 - US$2100 - not too bad

Roland Ax Synth - US$1389 - ridiculous

Juno Stage - US$1700 - ughhhhh

Yamaha Motif XF6 - US$3500 - stabs self

Yamaha MO6 - US$1900 -
:facepalm:

to buy yamahas, I have to travel to singapore.

rolands are equally expensive in singapore.

korg's prices in malaysia and singapore are similar.

what's putting me off from buying kurzweil? lousy international support. 6 month warranty WTF?

Roland is charging 110 euro to paint the V-synth black here. The black version is 110 euro more expensive than the white one.

With that money I do get custom paint job done.

• Members

I don't consider it overpriced at all, but wish it had all the knobbage of the Microwave XT.

sonic_modules_sample_1_full.jpg

If you have Q you can control almost all (except osc bril. , drive curve) parameters for Blofeld, Their CC mappings are same. The knob count was what kept me from blofeld, now for studio and live usage, it became an alternative to XT series (except more modifiers and envelopes are present on XT)

• Members

With the euro at $1.30 and the pound at $1.50, just about everything in Europe remains expensive when compared to American prices. And it used to be worse.

We like to vacation in Europe but euro/pound countries are just too expensive. This year we went to Turkey, which does not use the euro, and everything was pleasantly affordable. We have wanted to go to Scotland, but that country has not gotten the benefit of our tourist dollars due to relative high costs of traveling there.

How much does a Virus TI cost in the euro zone?

• Members

You should come to Croatia next year, we don't use euro as well... yet. :)

Virus TI is about $3420 over here. Snow is $1370. Polar is $3290! Desktop is $2515! On the other hand, Kurzweil PC3x is $1975. Blofeld is $550. Blokey is $1070.

On those prices you can count about 15% of discount if you pay hard cash, which is to say that these prices are for lease and credit card methods of payment.

• Members

With the euro at $1.30 and the pound at $1.50, just about everything in Europe remains expensive when compared to American prices. And it used to be worse.

We like to vacation in Europe but euro/pound countries are just too expensive. This year we went to Turkey, which does not use the euro, and everything was pleasantly affordable. We have wanted to go to Scotland, but that country has not gotten the benefit of our tourist dollars due to relative high costs of traveling there.

How much does a Virus TI cost in the euro zone?

With strong euro we should have CHEAPER stuff. At least in euro terms. In real terms the prices should be the same or one of the currency is overvalued (or there are huge export/import costs). Some manufacturers (roland) doesn't seem to understand this, some do. They always hike prices when the euro goes down and don't lower them when it gets up. To top this their prices are stuck in the 90s. They must have the best marketing department that money can buy to pull this off.

Well at least roland will always be on top of the Bernanke's exponential inflation curve :lol:

• Members

Stopped by Professional Music Technology today as they're supposedly part of the Roland Sale and have a Planet Roland in store.

Absolutely nothing marked down or any mention of a sale, and when i asked at the counter the guy said there was a sale on but he didn;t know what was discounted but if I told him a specific product he'd look it up. I didn;t bother as I wasn;t up for buying and don;t like wasting people's time.

He also said the 'sale' is the last sale Roland are having before the prices go up in the new year.

VAT here is going up to 20% from 4th January too, so that will stick another 2.5% on most things including gear :(

Archived