Is this the most overpriced thing ever made?

Thorhead

• Members

Ok ok, year ago, I thought Roland SRX (64mb ram piece) expansion for retail price of 500 dollars (converted from euros) was the most overpriced thing ever made. Before that the most overpriced thing was a Roland KC-550.

But as can be seen, Roland improves their habits every year, now the most overpriced thing ever made just HAS TO BE:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxBnGmFtBThh4pxuNINnT

Juno m'fn stage. For 1600 dollars (here). A light version of last gen Fantom X. Indeed it costs more here than my Kurzweil PC3.

Can you top this? Is there something I am not seeing here?

Yeah and I am sorry to be bashing roland again. They do make some good stuff... But damn do they drop the ball often.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Juno m'fn stage. For 1600 dollars (here). A light version of last gen Fantom X. Indeed it costs more here than my Kurzweil PC3.

Can you top this? Is there something I am not seeing here?

The price of the Juno Stage is only a problem in your area, assuming that you don't live in the USA. Here in the United States the price of the Juno Stage continues to fall because it is an old model. Best Buy sells them for a mere $800.

Juno Stage at Best Buy

Wherever you live must be somewhere that has nothing but ripoff prices on gear.

• Members

The price of the Juno Stage is only a problem in your area, assuming that you don't live in the USA. Here in the United States the price of the Juno Stage continues to fall because it is an old model. Best Buy sells them for a mere $800.

Wherever you live must be somewhere that has nothing but ripoff prices on gear.

Same prices all over europe. Roland rip's europe off, because everytime euro falls they raise prices, but then when it raises they don't lower em.

THe SRX prices are still crazy 300 euros... WTF! Though it seems like they are quiet overpriced in US too.

• Members

Not really. SRX cards here in the USA sell for about $250, even less at the right store. 10 years ago the average price was $200 - $225 so it hasn't risen much.

yeah but cost of ram has gone to about 1/10th, and just look at the prices of XV's and JV's... gone down A LOT too.

It is a rip off. Even though some of those boards are not bad. I did buy the SRX-06 from US ebay. It cost me 120 euro instead of 300... The harpsichord is pretty much the best of that kind of harpsichords there is in hardware. Though kurzweil may just surpass it with their upcoming ram.

• Members

Same prices all over europe. Roland rip's europe off, because everytime euro falls they raise prices, but then when it raises they don't lower em.

THe SRX prices are still crazy 300 euros... WTF! Though it seems like they are quiet overpriced in US too.

Europe sucks big time for buying synthesizers - even second hand they can cost anywhere from double to 5 times more than in USA.

Juno Stage is 1360 USD in my place.

• Members

When you buy stuff on ebay, do you still have to pay a VAT?

Here I think you have to pay it on the part exceeding 130euro, but I am really not too sure. We have a very nice vat of 22%. You know where the shopping is going to take place if I am in USA.

Kurzweil's and waldorf's are good buys here in europe. SOME synths are OK too, like I think korg M50 can be had without selling of your internals.

• Members

I would never buy a used car or synth. The last time I bought a used car I had endless problems with it. It can be less expensive to buy a new one and drive it for 10 or more years without any problems. As for used synths let's not forget this recent thread:

My Cat Just Took His Revenge Out On My Korg M50 88,HELP!

I wonder if it is for sale on eBay yet? "Used, in mint condition" :lol:

• Members

One of those sites is PMT Leeds, though their website mentions nothing of a Roland sale.

Also be sure to check out their ]ex-demo and secondhand bargains :facepalm:

It's about a mile down the road from me and on the way into town, so when i bob in on Wednesday to sort out a heap of stuff that flu and a 4 day weekend have put the kybosh on, I may stop by and investigate.

btw i seem to recall Joey there being a very nice man.

• Members

I do. You get what you pay for. A quality instrument that sounds great.

i'd have to agree about Virus being overpriced. yes it sounds very nice, but too expensive for what it actually is. things have changed a lot in the virtual analog world since the original introduction of Virus series. and their pricing today is, as if they're the only game in town, and native analog emul options are non-existant. each time i go to the store and play the TI2 keyboard.. i'm left with that same impression.

for Nords i cannot comment the price, since i dislike the sound of wave, electro and stage series in the first place. whenever i play them for extended period of time, i get ear fatique. its just something plasticky and "peaky" in the mids that gets me. does not happen with my rhodes. or acoustic piano for that matter. atm, compared to nords or similar, i much prefer in-the-box piano solutions, like ni ep or scarbee, b290 etc. fwiw, last Nords i digged were NL2X NL3 and original NM. ymmv.

• Members

for Nords i cannot comment the price, since i dislike the sound of wave

Interesting. I recently visited Sven in his store and he let me play Wave for some time. I was so impressed - not by the analog emulation but amazing ambient textures this unit can pull out. Never worked on that synth before but in less than 15 minutes i had "soundtrack ready" track with couple wavetables, FM and usual reverb bath. I fell in love instantly - damn!

Since i sold all my digital keyboards, i need something for a master, so it's gonna be either Wave or PC361. Both units blew me away. If only PC361 could load samples and my old K-2500R programs.

• Members

Interesting. I recently visited Sven in his store and he let me play Wave for some time. I was so impressed - not by the analog emulation but amazing ambient textures this unit can pull out. Never worked on that synth before but in less than 15 minutes i had "soundtrack ready" track with couple wavetables, FM and usual reverb bath. I fell in love instantly - damn!

yes, it is great for that. dunno, it's just something with it's inherent character, or sonic imprint, that doesn't gell with me. i love the capabilities, and posibilities. i could perhaps see myself using it for some ambient textures, but for all other things i prefer other machines. so in the end, it is not cost effective for my purposes. alltogether, i actually like Blofeld more. it suffers from the same thing, but much less of it. add to this the fact its 2.5 times cheaper... that or i'd just pickup an old Nord Lead 3, that ive been secretly desiring for almost a decade, and run it thru my Eventide. ambient heaven :cool:.

Archived