KORG RADIAS: Why don't you have one?

• Members

That's pretty much a self-explanatory thread title, I think. :D

Of all the VA's, the RADIAS doesn't seem to come up a lot. Mainly we seem to hear more about the Virus, or Nord, various PC softies, or even the (aging) JP8K. Why is this?

Do you have one? Why not? I mean, what's not to like:

- Knobs!

- Size!

- Sounds!

- Knobs!

- That neato sequencer thingie!

- Knobs, dammit!

So what put you off?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

le sigh.

the sound thoroughly is midrange. the radias seemed to be packed with performance features such as a step sequencers and drum machine aiming at the electronic dance crowd. however since that sort of music is usually bass driven one way or the other and most of those people are poor, the cost and sound i think were prohibitive. the knob layout and menus weren't exactly intuitive nor well laid out either. so over all people may have went into thinking it was an expanded EMX1 when it wasn't. However i do know there's quite a few that enjoy some of the vintage timbres that can be coaxed out of it.

• Members

From Poland with love:

''To conclude; I don't think Radias is a synth for a synthesist. A synthesist will get angry when he discovers some snags like the one that he cannot assign pitch modulation to each of 2 oscillators independently, or control the pwm of the squarewave after choosing certain routes. Nor is it a synth for the traditional synthesizer timbre worshippers and sculptors. It's a synth for the fun-seekrs. I can't have cross mod and waveform mod at the same time? Uhm, whatever, but look at those Mod Sequencers! Fun. Memorize that word: FUN.

Radias = A digital synth for those 'different' sounds, complementary to other analog (VA) synths. Don't sell your MS2000 with the thought of 'upgrading' to Radias. You're gonna feel like you've gained knobs, but lost something untangible yet valuable.''

:wave:

• Members

I tried one out at a local GC when they came out, and it was between that and the Virus. I went with the Virus, sight unseen. Is it because I thought the RADIAS was that bad? No, actually I liked the way it sounded. But I'd heard such GOOD things about the Virus, and I had the money at the time and thought, "I'll bet I'll get what I pay for." It turned out to be true.

The RADIAS kinda gave me the impression of a toy. The knobs felt weak and were laid out strangely. The display was kind of a challenge to read (for me). The keyboard/module setup seemed flimsy. It wasn't really intuitive to use in spite of the knobs. I'll chalk this last one up to weak brains on my part, but if you're gonna be a VA, shouldn't you be as quick to use as a real analog?

I'd heard a RADIAS again (McHale's, actually) that gave me GAS again, but even with the reduced price I still didn't pick one up. :idk:

• Members

I came very, very close to picking up a Radias several months ago. I didn't have access to one in person, so I tried out an R3 because it has the same engine and should sound the same.

I was particularly interested in its granular synthesis and knobs, and the fact that it could be rackmounted or attached to a keyboard.

HOWEVER, in the end, although I don't mind it sounding digital, I didn't like how anemic it sounded, and so instead I got a Blofeld Keyboard (that Nova was blowing out). It may not have granular synthesis or knobs, but its fat and digital and mean. And the keyboard action is really nice, and its a beautiful synth to boot.

I still think the Radias could be interesting though, and if Korg releases a new innovative VA I'd be willing to give it a try.

• Members

I've got both types of Radii. They are not midrangey. Just as dynamic as the MS2000. They are awesome! Few people can fathom this.

That is all.

I had my eye (and ears) on them when they first came out. The demo's sounded dynamic enough, just never fell all the way to buying... some people swear by these synths

• Members

I think the Radias looks cool, and I have found it fun to play with in stores a couple of times. I recall presets skewed toward dance music, but it seemed like an instrument I could make music with.

It seems a bit too expensive for me. Of course, I just spent $7,000 to replace the main sewer line under my home, so I don't foresee buying anything anytime soon.

• Members

I've got both types of Radii. They are not midrangey. Just as dynamic as the MS2000. They are awesome! Few people can fathom this.

That is all.

Well, I mean it had bass, but it was so tight and round sounding :lol: i mean, yes my definition may be different from yours, but I just mean over all it at best is a strange beast that appealed to few and not many in the end.

• Members

The Radias is for the Dance music types. The Nord I now have is a great contrast to it to cover a broader spectrum.

Folks just don't get the Radias IMHO, and when they finally do, it will be too late. ;)

It pretty much does it all including being an excellent FX processor.

• Members

The oscillators don't just die out suddenly at low frequencies or anything like that. I don't grok what is meant by midrangey. Perhaps it is a function of speakers and listening environment? Maybe I am just weird or overly sensitive to lower frequencies so something that other people hear as lacking sounds fine to me. I seem to be sensitive to thumping or pounding bass lines in some electronic music, to the point where I have to check my equalizer settings to see if I didn't accidentally bump the bass. This would be listening to SomaFM Space Station Soma or Groove Salad stations.

• Members

I think the Radias looks cool, and I have found it fun to play with in stores a couple of times. I recall presets skewed toward dance music, but it seemed like an instrument I could make music with.

It seems a bit too expensive for me. Of course, I just spent $7,000 to replace the main sewer line under my home, so I don't foresee buying anything anytime soon.

Radias rack is $699 and Nord Lead 2X rack is $1099 at Nova. I don't think Radias is all to expensive at all. When it first came out it was a bit on the high side but not anymore.

Home ownership sucks doesn't it? My next purchase is a hard wood floor for the living room for my wife - her Xmas present instead of just replacing the carpet. Also the dishwasher seems to be on its last legs. Automatic dishwashers are the worst appliance. I don't think any manufacturer, even the high end ones, make a dishwasher that will last more than five years of nightly family use.

• Members

I play in a regional band that covers a lot of seventies sound, meaning I need to get analog synth type sounds for leads and chords, and sound effects on occasion. I started with a Nord Lead, went to an Ion, and now use a Radias Rack. It gets the job done well enough live. Simple to program, easy to see and use on a dark stage, and reliable. I'm actually very happy with mine till something better comes along. Especially for the size and price.

• Members

most of those people are poor, the cost and sound i think were prohibitive

Considering it's currently so much cheaper than competing VAs (esp. Virus) you'd think people would be all over it. I just bought one (my second) for $575...brand new. That's cheaper than a Blofeld, Virus Snow, Nord Rack 2X...

Even though I own one there are things I didn't like so until the prices fell I wasn't very interested:

-- The second oscillator is a poor cousin of the first. I tend to like all the oscillators to have the same functionality, thank you.

-- Many features cause a loss of polyphony although Korg does not provide any specifics, unlike Access who are quite explicit about it.

-- The form factor is less than ideal. If you rack it, you need to leave space above for the cabling plus the power switch becomes hard to reach. On a table top, it's at the wrong angle.

-- The inability to control the sends from each timbre into the master FX means I never use them.

-- Each timbre has it's three mod sequencers (like the MS2000) but the step sequencers and arpeggiator have to be shared amongst the timbres. This is pretty restrictive compared to the competition.

-- All the arpeggiation and sequencing stops when you switch patches and any held notes are cut off.

-- The filters will not self oscillate.

Archived