Hetfield vs. Mustaine tone - not your usual argument

Themetallikid

• Members

Now, arguments can easily be made for both of these guys' legendary tones and such.

BUT!!!!

What if Mustaine had stayed in Metallica all these years...how would their guitar tones have changed??

Part of what I notice when I listen to their albums is that James/Dave have more bite on their tones, and their counterparts have a more thick, not as top-endish tone to help fill it out. I've noticed this with their live tracks as well.

I'm curious with them having such similar ideas of tone, how that would have changed Metallica's guitar sound, if they had stayed together.

:freak:

• Members

Well i'm not really sure how that would have played out but I have always noticed Dave has more mids going on with his sound. I think they are about equal rythm playing wise but James has more chunk to his style and that's a big part of his tone. I would love to have the rythm chops of either but without being able to do this for a living I doubt i'll ever get quite that good.

• Members

yes I agree, I think Dave has kept his "marshall" sound longer, where as James switching to Mesa's and such gave him more lower mids.

ALthough I did read that there is a certain frequency that is VERY Prominent in James' sound, and he is very anal about letting out what that is.

I dont blame him, last thing he would want is 1,000,000 hetfield clones popping up...

I would think that dave would have ended up not having so much bite and James would have pretty much kept the same sound...

• Members

i dunno about a certain frequency prominent IN his sound. Its the one not in his sound...

You'd really have to see how he sets his Graphic and parametric eq to see just how he scoops his mids to get the tone. you simply just cant do it by getting rid of all the mids with 750 slider though it can sound close.

• Members

Originally posted by branjispad

i dunno about a certain frequency prominent IN his sound. Its the one not in his sound...

You'd really have to see how he sets his Graphic and parametric eq to see just how he scoops his mids to get the tone. you simply just cant do it by getting rid of all the mids with 750 slider though it can sound close.

Does he use the parametric EQ live?

I don't know anything about parametric eq's.... Why are they better than a graphic eq? Are they expensive? Sounds like it would be a good addition just for added flexibility.

• Members

Originally posted by Themetallikid

i'm not looking to discuss if you like them or not though. But if you look at how each of their tones has changed in their respective bands over the years.

I'm curious if they would have changed differently if mustaine had remained in Metallica.

So its completely hypothetical, hence there is no "correct" answer. You could say they would be using Gorilla amps and you MIGHT be right.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Does he use the parametric EQ live?

I don't know anything about parametric eq's.... Why are they better than a graphic eq? Are they expensive? Sounds like it would be a good addition just for added flexibility.

Parametric EQs are cool because you can change which particular frequency you want to boost or cut, and also affect the range of frequencies around that selected frequency.

It's good for dialling out specific particular frequencies that cause a lot of feedback or make a tone crappy, or fill out a tone without it sounding too obvious.

James used to use parametric EQs live, but not since 1994.

• Members
yes I agree, I think Dave has kept his "marshall" sound longer, where as James switching to Mesa's and such gave him more lower mids.

ALthough I did read that there is a certain frequency that is VERY Prominent in James' sound, and he is very anal about letting out what that is.

It's ridiculous how he is so anal about it :rolleyes: , yet he doesn't really have that frequency in his tone anymore.

It pretty much sounds like this-> "ennnggh!" I'm not sure where in the frequency spectrum that sound is, but any speech pathologist/therapist or linguist can work that out.

I reckon that frequency comes from his guitar, as you can hear it in his clean tone as well as distorted tones. It's just that he emphasised it using various methods, from multiple parametric EQs to mixing desk selective phase-cancelling of microphones and enclosing his speaker cabs with foam walls and U-Haul blankets (the "Tent of Doom").

• 5 months later...
  • Members
Now, arguments can easily be made for both of these guys' legendary tones and such.

BUT!!!!

What if Mustaine had stayed in Metallica all these years...how would their guitar tones have changed??

Part of what I notice when I listen to their albums is that James/Dave have more bite on their tones, and their counterparts have a more thick, not as top-endish tone to help fill it out. I've noticed this with their live tracks as well.

I'm curious with them having such similar ideas of tone, how that would have changed Metallica's guitar sound, if they had stayed together.

:freak:

You're right, the counterpart tone is a little more squawky, and also a bit rounded.

• Members

Dave's role in Metallica was primarily of a lead player while he's mainly a rhtythm player in Megadeth (although he still plays a lot of leads).

I think that fact alone would have a major difference in Dave's tone.

As for James' tone, I don't see how Mustaine staying in Metallica would have changed things much, since he would still have same role he does now.

• Members

James use to have a good ear for tone, but I think now Metallica (Lars and James) have this obscured idea that they want to 'create' a new metal trend. Hence, Lars' drum tone in "Some Kind of Monster" and their awful bassy guitar tone on their new song "The Day that Never Comes".

Mustain's tone is far better than anything Metallica have tried in the last decade.

Archived