Dual Rectifier, or COBRA to match with my ENGL?

syxstringslayer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by AXEMAN720

didnt say that they sound bad at all. i said there is nothing they do that i cant do better with a rec or 5150. this is the consensus of everyone in the room everytime i mic up one of these amps. to me the framus stuff lacks a depth in tone that the rec and 5150 seem to have. i've given the framus stuff quite a chance, thats just my two cents. not fighting words.

Everything you've said is the exact oppositeof what I've found having A/B'ed the amps. Maybe you got an amp that had issues, maybe you hear things differently. The Cobra is like the best Rectifer/Marshall I've ever heard. Clearer, more refined, better clean and tighter.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman967

Everything you've said is the exact opposite of what I've found having A/B'ed the amps. Maybe you got an amp that had issues, maybe you hear things differently. The Cobra is like the best Rectifier/Marshall I've ever heard. Clearer, more refined, better clean and tighter.

+50:D

• Members

my 2 cents...

my cobra on the crunch channel doesn't sound as thick as my 5150, or old recto...but it's a different sound, and that's why i like it

the lead channel can sound as thick as any amp i've heard...i have a 5150 and owned a recto, if they could do everything my cobra could i wouldn't still have it

• Members

:thu:

You guys are awesome with this stuff.

IM almost starting to regret selling the 5150... But those cobra clips sounded pretty nice.

Although IM very happy with the ENGL's sound so im not

gettin rid of it. I think it can stay for a long while.

The cobra clips kinda sounded like a 5150 after some mods

and a boost. But maybe a little better... ah. Damnit.:mad:

I wish somebody had some Rectifier clips that were worth a {censored} Does anybody???:wave: Damnit, Its nice to save money with a 5150. But then again, A used dual rectifier doesnt break the bank or anything. Ive never heard a good rectifier clip on here, and the ones on jerrys site didnt work last time i checked. Im sure id have to boost the rectifier, maybe even metalzone it since for some reason metal zones just work with the duals and triples. I wonder how that would match up...

Its all about matching to the powerball. Its staying.

Now im back to thinking of Getting another damn 5150.

But damnit, Im having a hard time.:cry:

• Members

Originally posted by syxstringslayer

You guys are awesome with this stuff.

IM almost starting to regret selling the 5150... But those cobra clips sounded pretty nice.

Although IM very happy with the ENGL's sound so im not

gettin rid of it. I think it can stay for a long while.

The cobra clips kinda sounded like a 5150 after some mods

and a boost. But maybe a little better... ah. Damnit.
:mad:

The cobra's like a tighter, clearer recto, its defenitly a step up. But thats MHO.

• Members

I've only ever played 1 mesa...a dual rectifier, and to me, my Cobra beats the f#$k out of the boogie.

My band is gonna be recording our next cd with a Cobra and 6505+.....we've been playing these two together for about 2 weeks now and it's heavenly heavy!

Never played an Engl, but I want to sometime soon!

Zach

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

my 2 cents...

my cobra on the crunch channel doesn't sound as thick as my 5150, or old recto...but it's a different sound, and that's why i like it

the lead channel can sound as thick as any amp i've heard...i have a 5150 and owned a recto, if they could do everything my cobra could i wouldn't still have it

+ 2 cents

• Members

Id hae to buy a used cobra, I dont really want to shell out the new cost, Its a little far fetched for me... I almost bid the chrome chassis Dual that one of you guys had for sale, Until i started hearing all these wonderful things about the Cobra.

Hearing all these comments about the Cobra is making me want to hear one or try one. :(:idea:

• Members

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

Hearing all these comments about the Cobra is making me want to hear one or try one.
:(:idea:

Exactly... NObody around here has one in the stores

or anybody I know has one. So id be going out on a limb

to buy one.. But seems like they dont get sold much,

Maybe because they are that good?

• Members

Originally posted by Illuminatus

Just finished jamming with these two earlier, most crushing metal tone evar for me so far!

IMG_1096.jpg

Ain't that the truth!!! Whaddya know!!! Just so happens I got the same rig.:thu: :thu: Great pic BTW!!!

Here's some of mine.

(You can see a little of the Cobra to the left causee it got cut out

room_pic2.jpg

Derek:cool:

• Members

Exactly... NObody around here has one in the stores

or anybody I know has one. So id be going out on a limb

to buy one.. But seems like they dont get sold much,

Maybe because they are that good?

what part of NC are you in? i'm about an hour and a half south of charlotte...if it's not unfeasible, you're welcome to come play mine

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

what part of NC are you in? i'm about an hour and a half south of charlotte...if it's not unfeasible, you're welcome to come play mine

Woo, I should get ready for a small trip sometime after the holidays then. I live in winston salem. SO it is a little while aways... But it would probably be worth driving out to play the beast. And btw thats really dude of you.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by DerekB

Ain't that the truth!!! Whaddya know!!! Just so happens I got the same rig.
:thu: Great pic BTW!!!

Here's some of mine.

(You can see a little of the Cobra to the left causee it got cut out

room_pic2.jpg

Derek:cool:

Yeah... Another option i had lurking in the back of my head was the uberschall. That and the Cobra arent that far apart in price. Just havnt heard very much about the Bogner.:confused:

• Members

Woo, I should get ready for a small trip sometime after the holidays then. I live in winston salem. SO it is a little while aways... But it would probably be worth driving out to play the beast. And btw thats really dude of you.

no problem man...my band practices on wed. evenings and sunday afternoons, so i'm down at our studio then, if you wanna arrange for any other time shoot me a pm and we'll figure it out

if you get a chance, i'd try to give splawn a call and check out a quickrod sometime (or any of their stuff really)a lot of guys peg it as a EVH/80's metal amp, but if you're a fan of the cobra's tone i think the splawn is atleast worth looking at

they're right outside charlotte btw, they don't usually keep amps in stock but if you wanna play one sometimes they can try to work something out

Archived