Dual Rectifier, or COBRA to match with my ENGL?

syxstringslayer

• Members

Originally posted by AXEMAN720

i would NEVER pick any framus over a rec or 5150. there is nothing that amp can do that those amps cant do better. period. i've made NUMEROUS records for a tone of bands and the framus never wins over those amps. even the endorsees pick em over the framus.

Your opinion is your opinion and thats fine but the Cobra is an awesome amp and I'd easily take it over those 2 amps anyday even though I like them both (Even if I didnt sell them). The Cobra also a clean channel that neither of those 2 can touch. So do you own a Cobra? Or were you talking about the artists bringing the amps in to your studio?

Derek

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by syxstringslayer

Yeah... Another option i had lurking in the back of my head was the uberschall. That and the Cobra arent that far apart in price. Just havnt heard very much about the Bogner.
:confused:

Yah that was my 3rd one. It's a really good amp and I enjoyed them while I had them but I just got bored with them and to tell you the truth the best sounbding one I had was the 1st one which was the 2nd run of them I believe after they switched power sections. I'd take an Exstacy over the Uber for sure and the XTC Classic I had was a beautiful amp from the way it looked to the tone and was way more versatile.

Derek:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by DerekB

Yah that was my 3rd one. It's a really good amp and I enjoyed them while I had them but I just got bored with them and to tell you the truth the best sounbding one I had was the 1st one which was the 2nd run of them I believe after they switched power sections. I'd take an Exstacy over the Uber for sure and the XTC Classic I had was a beautiful amp from the way it looked to the tone and was way more versatile.

Hm, I know versatility is important to some.
But its never that important to me. I never
really side track much to other styles. I stay
with the heaviest thickest tone, For Crushing
Skulls. Ive written some other stuff but on acoustic.
So for a second forget versatility, And think just thick
and meaty... Then where would you place the Bogners
in the picking order? :)

• Members

:thu:

Its all about matching to the powerball. Its staying.

Now im back to thinking of Getting another damn 5150.

But damnit, Im having a hard time.
:cry:

Then go with a Savage 120. To me it's one of the best complimenting amp combinations ever. My good friend/nutcase xgxmanx/moshaholic use to use the PB and savage hooked up in stereo for a while and his tone was some of the most absolutely CLEAR and Crushing saturated tone I have ever heard. they complient each so well cause each has certain freq's the other lacks and when combined it seems to fill up the whole sound spectrum to a f'ing tee!!

• Members

Hm, I know versatility is important to some.

But its never that important to me. I never

really side track much to other styles. I stay

with the heaviest thickest tone, For Crushing

Skulls. Ive written some other stuff but on acoustic.

So for a second forget versatility, And think just thick

and meaty... Then where would you place the Bogners

in the picking order?
:)

All of the amps mentioned in this thread are capable and have proven track records of getting Thick and meaty skull crushing tones and it boils down to personal preference.

I'll tell you what though the Meteoro MAK 3000 (280 watt power section loaded with 6 6550's) with a maxon -OD-9 or other sort of boost pedal is HANDS DOWN THE MOST POWERFUL SKULL CUSHING AMP I HAVE EVER PLAYED PERIOD. It's so freakibng powerful you could probably play an arena without it being mic'd to a PA (OK I'm exaggerating but its so powerful it's probably letha :eek:l)

It's truly a muscle car style of amp with totally natural tone with alot of modded Marshall sort of tone but a not so spikey sort of top end and very similar type of mid punch. I say modded cause like I said it has sort of a Marshall base tone but it has low end no stock Marshall has ever come close to and it really is the thickest heaviest most powerful amp I have ever come across and none of the above come close to tell you the truth.

I have some clips of it on my site at the bottom of the sound byte section but hearing it in person is the only way to really appreciate this typwe of amp so you experience its gut shaking girth and power not to mention it's sweet kickass TONE!!!

• Members

Wow, Never really thought about the savage.

Id be a pure ENGL guy then... hm.

Ive heard some really good clips of that amp.

Never played one, But I bet that would

be so {censored}ing sick..... How much do they

go for used?

They range in price used depending on age/condition as they have been out for around 12 years with newer ones in mint condition going for around aanywahere from $1600 -$1900 approximately .

• Members

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

So the Powerball is a darker sounding amp, and the Savage is a bit brighter?

Exactly. The Savage also has more punch,clarity and tighness as well which I believe the 6550 power section contributes to.

Derek

• Members

THis is the best savage clip ive ever heard.

That makes me feel all tingly inside.

Ya man that clip is what sent me over the Edge to initialy want try out the Engl's. It was a gamble and I got a freaking royal flush for a hand as it just happened again with Brunetti Amps too this past week.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

{censored}!
:mad:
Just when I thought I was going to settle on trying a Splawn. Now what am I going to do?
:(
I can't afford them both.

Ya thats a tough call but they are both killer and both also very different. The simplest way to seperate the 2 is that the Savage is much more Modern sounding while the Splawn is much more classic sounding overal.

• Members
Originally posted by Tonemeister87

How about VHT?

They do sound good, But I like a little
Bit of sag, Not toooo much. They sound
great and I wouldnt say I will never own one.

Just not my cup of tea right now, I researched
them alot a while back and decided i will own one.
But it just doesnt turn me on much compared to
the evilness of other amps :thu:

• Members

They do sound good, But I like a little

Bit of sag, Not toooo much. They sound

great and I wouldnt say I will never own one.

Just not my cup of tea right now, I researched

them alot a while back and decided i will own one.

But it just doesnt turn me on much compared to

the evilness of other amps
:thu:

Fair enough :)

VHT's are love and hate type amps for sure :thu:

Archived