Output Transformers...

Soulcrusher_X

• Members

Hi,

sorry for pulling up the old thread, but i was wondering if anyone could please tell me about the specs of the SLO100's (4x 6L6GC) original OT, especially the primary windings DC-resistance?

I am thinking about making a clone myself, and read somewhere that it's OT would originally be about 2KOhms Rprimary, yet i don't see how to get to these 2KOhms, as the usual plate-to-plate-resistance for (two) 6L6GC in class-AB push-pull is mentioned to be around 5,6KOhms? Thank you.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey, thx for the quick response.

I was indeed looking for just that 1900ohms-value for 4 tubes, since the 6L6GC-datasheets only tell the average Value of 5600ohms for two 6L6GC in P-P ClassAB1, and i just don't understand how to get from that 5600 with two tubes- to that 1900 with 4 tubes-value.

• Members
Why in the world would someone spend more money than needed to put the wrong transformer in their amp? Oh that's right, they get a better transformer.
:rolleyes:
That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Wiring the wrong transformer up "correct" isn't going to sound good and it's a waste of money. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Jerry

Yeah... But if bigger OT iron = less OT distortion and more headroom, doesn't the 100W OT in a 50 watt amp offer then even less OT distortion and more headroom? As it probably is bigger?

• Members

the number of wraps doesn't infer a core size. when people are talking about the size of a tranny, they mean the size of the core. the earlier the core saturates, the less headroom the tranny has. a smaller core will saturate sooner. whether the tranny has 50W or 100W primaries is of little consequence.

also, i love reading these old threads that have all these banned posters. for some reason, it makes me giggle.

• Members

OK guys....I've personally talked to Bud @ Onetics

Mike Soldano was considering using Onetics transformers instead of Deyoungs in SLOs, but Bud and Mike agreed not to change it because the slo design hasn't been changed for years and years and they didn't want to change the SLO "formula".

Bud is a very nice, and INCREDIBLY knowledgable guy. If I were really going to build an SLO clone, there's no question in my mind I would be going for Onetics transformers.

If Bud's transformers are good enough to be considered by Mike Soldano over Deyoungs (which are supposed to be "the best"), I'd say they must be awesome transformers. :thu:

• 2 years later...
  • Members

This thread, it is an old thread.

But interesting. I've been considering changing the OT and Choke on my AC30cc2x. I love the tone of that amp, but I think it could be a little deeper/ more punchy with a better transformer. Generally speaking the vox stuff from MM gets a very good rep, even among people who agree that it's often overhyped.

Archived