does this exist? (pitch-shifting)

bluesboy

• Members

Im looking for a pedal or some kind of unit that will allow me to play at different tunings without retuning my guitar. For example, I always keep my guitars in standard tuning, but for some songs that are half a step down id like to just turn on a pedal, and have it automatically tune down with touching my guitar's tuners. A guy I used to play with a long time ago right when i was beginning to play had something like this but i cant remember what it was and i havent seen him in like 6 years. Any ideas on this subject? thanks,

-bb

• Members

Originally posted by enditol

You can do this with a Roland VG-88 or a guitar synth but you will need to install a special pickup or use a special guitar (Godin). I did this in my old band and it was a really cool feature.

+1 With the VG-88, you can change the pitch of each string individually so you can setup a preset for drop D if you want. Very cool for practice but a bit too digital sounding IMO to use live.

• Members
Originally posted by TomVanDeven

Without the obvious answer of the Digitech Whammy, this is a cool little pedal too if you can find one.

0069_intell_shifter.jpg

Doesn't this pedal mix the original signal with the changed signal? I didn't think it was possible to just output the pitched signal.

• Members
Originally posted by TomVanDeven

Without the obvious answer of the Digitech Whammy, this is a cool little pedal too if you can find one.

0069_intell_shifter.jpg

this pedal does have detuning, but not in half or whole steps... according to the boss website it "detunes slightly" to give a fattening effect.

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

this pedal does have detuning, but not in half or whole steps... according to the boss website it "detunes slightly" to give a fattening effect.

I don't think you'll be able to find something that can accurately shift your guitar with 100% mix to simulate detuning unless you get into Eventide territiory ($$$$$). From my experience anything else will sound very unconvincing.

And for the record, I'd never spend $5,000-$10,000 to get out of retuning. I used to gig with alternate tunings quite a bit; I just brought another guitar or two.

Wes

• Members

Originally posted by pink freud

what you could do is buy one of those harmonizer rack effects that were so poplar in the 80s.

if i'm right in my thinking, you should be able to split the origional signal and the harmonized signal.

mute the origional signal, and all you have left is the harmony.

ummm . . . . like an Eventide??

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

hmmm.... interesting. I could of sworn this guy i used to know had some kind of programmable pedal, that would do preset detuning. It was like a zoom or something similar... i dont think it was horribly expensive either.

You may just not have realized how crappy it sounded. Even my Lexicon MPX1's pitch shifting feature is mediocre when mixed 100% wet.

Wes

• Members

I believe the Digitech 2112 or the Digitech 2120 does detuning and allows you to drop the original signal leaving only the detuned signal. It does alter the sound some and doesn't quite sound 'natural'. I tried to do this for a while and found these two units to sound the best, but I eventually just ended up tuning one of my guitars to the desired pitch and that is the guitar I use for low tunings.

Both of these units can be found on ebay.

Good luck,

Vid

• Members

Originally posted by SkyhighRocks

can't a variax do this? (with a vetta of course)

I think it can be done without the Vetta as well. The whammy won't do it and I doubt that Boss pedal can do it either. The Variax is the best option without spending a mint on rack effects.

• Members
Originally posted by amiller

---------------------

I have a Peavey Wolfgang that lets me do this but not very well. It drops the low E down to D but puts the whole guitar slightly out of tune...not very useful.
:mad:

Thats cause your EVH Drop D Tuna is not set up correctly. :idea:

Archived