All I Need is Omnisphere

keybdwizrd

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is a very nice sounding instrument with a superb sample library, some really well-designed sounds, and some good effects. All-in-all it is indeed a professional instrument with serious power. It is designed to function as much more than a rompler for sure. I personally have not bonded with the Omnisphere interface very well though. I have also sort of set it to one side for a while. I played around with it a lot when it first came out and then it fell onto the pile with all the other plugins. This is my eternal problem - too much stuff in hardware and software - always dabbling and being a generalist.

• Members

Yes, but I really don't need any of it.

I should devote myself to creating music during the next year using only Omnisphere and MOTU Ethno Instrument. And Plugsound Pro for drum kits.

You at least want to have/keep a decent controller keyboard, don't you? :confused:

• Members

Ya omisphere is clearly not just a rompler there's a whole vid on their site with saw wave meets modulation meets awesome. I think trilian wuld be especially awesome because of the synth bass. The difference for me personally is this sound that is almost too tonal ?

When it comes to certain synths it seems the 'steam' engine takes away from the moar atonal elements. So hard to describe. But i guess that's where I'd back down from the whole romper thing. After experimenting with lots of older analogs pitch, timbre and tonality in general seem moar loose

• Members

It does sound great. You can't beat Eric Persing and team working on a product for keyboardists, made by keyboardists. I really need to get with the program and get it!
:lol:

I'd be curious to see how it compares to the EastWest instruments.

East west is crap = /.

• Members

Which East West instruments do you own, and why do you think they are crap?

I don't own anything from easy west, because they are crap = /.

You did hear the "incident" at gear slutz? Some idiot from east west tried to sell their products and got caught and didn't admit he was from easy west till it was obvious to everyone. New levels of dishonesty.

• Members

Just focus on one at a time. Start with Kronos.

I do start from kurzweil.... Can I say "semi weighted keys" :lol:

One thing I don't like about the kurzweil's are the slow envelopes/LFO, other than that the synth engine is quite good, and there are quite great possibilities.

• Members

You at least want to have/keep a decent controller keyboard, don't you?
:confused:

Yes, which is why I'll always have some rompler like the M3. Besides, sometimes it's nice just to sit down and play a Rhodes sound without having to boot up Digital Performer and a bunch of virtual instruments.

• Members

Yes, which is why I'll always have some rompler like the M3. Besides, sometimes it's nice just to sit down and play a Rhodes sound without having to boot up Digital Performer and a bunch of virtual instruments.

Did you sell your micro X?

• Members

I'm on to you, sir. You just want someone to join you in your gasfest so you can feel validated.

Okay, I'm not above that.
:lol:
WHERE'S MAH CREDIT CARDZ

THIS IS THE DESERT ISLAND SYNTH. THIS IS THE DESERT ISLAND SYNTH.

WE ALL HAVE TO BUY IT in the event that our homes somehow become desert islands. If it wasn't possible, people wouldn't ask so much! HURRY before they run out!

• Members

I don't own anything from easy west, because they are crap = /.

You did hear the "incident" at gear slutz? Some idiot from east west tried to sell their products and got caught and didn't admit he was from easy west till it was obvious to everyone. New levels of dishonesty.

I haven't heard "the incident", however, I thought you were referring to their products being "crap" in the musical sense, which was surprising to me since I think they are pretty good, and recently got a few of their instruments. It sounds like you are accusing them of them being "crap" for something else rather than the sound of their instruments? :confused:

• Members

A-ha!

Two questions about your second monitor:

1) Is that a "regular" second tier keyboard stand with a board you are using to hold the 2nd monitor?

2) Why do you have the 2nd monitor positioned above the keyboard? Is it a touch screen? It is just to be able to see a softsynth view like Omnisphere better?

• Members

I do a lot of underscoring so all of the east/west programs have been life-saving and money earning.I recently posted my appreciation for the Dark Side and no one chimed in. So, its demos have a NIN sensibility, doesnt prevent you from using the thousands of sounds in different ways. Quite frankly I'd rather hear their stock patches more than the stock patches on a Oasys which sound like cheesy 80's- to early 90's type of sounds.

• Members

Two questions about your second monitor:

1) Is that a "regular" second tier keyboard stand with a board you are using to hold the 2nd monitor?

2) Why do you have the 2nd monitor positioned above the keyboard? Is it a touch screen? It is just to be able to see a softsynth view like Omnisphere better?

1) Yes - I bought it quite a few years ago at a local GC - it is an "On Stage Stand." I get lots of inquiries about it, because it has that additional adjustable joint in the middle. (By the way, that's a simple black shelf I bought at Home Depot.)

2) It is a regular monitor, not a touchscreen. I have since lowered the shelf another couple of inches, and use my mouse on it. This way, indeed I can have a softsynth right in front of me without having to look over to my desk and back.

What I am doing these days (in the evenings, actually), is quite tedious but rather fun... Omnisphere comes with something like 5,000 patches - you can rate each one from one to five stars. I am going through the banks rating each one in terms of how likely it is (initially) to end up in one of my compositions. The five-star sounds are the ones I want to work with right away, while the one-star sounds are those that could just as well be deleted from the library. Maybe someday I'll compose a song using nothing but one-star sounds. :)

In any case, there are so many of these damn patches I can't begin to get my arms (or ears) around even a fraction of them. I figure over time I'll force myself to audition them all - the rating system isn't perfect, but at least I can put the patches into some kind of personal buckets. Otherwise, you can find yourself sifting through dozens of these things looking for the appropriate sound for a given spot.

I honestly feel like some of these instruments - even the M3 - are coming with way toooo many patches. Omnisphere probably has 200 airy pads that generally sound quite similar. The M3 comes with more than 100 electric pianos, more than 100 organs, etc. Who has the time to weed through all of these things, especially when you're trying to get something written? With the M3, I'll probably end up with 50 - 60 of my more favorite sounds (tweaked, too) stored in a user bank. Personally, I only need three nice electric pianos to work with for anything I do... I can always tweak up the EQ, effects, envelopes or whatnot. IMHO, more is not always better.

Archived