OT: Whatever, man.

droolmaster0

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I wonder what would happen here if I posted, say, a thread about making 'left wing' music, for instance. I view threads like this as distinctly political....I mean you're talking about 'meditating on God's word', and in this context, and in the context of other things that CR has written, this is basically 'worshipping ultra right wing politics, and literal interpretation of the bible'....

But I suppose that this is the logical extension of a long drift from an interesting synth based forum to a very conservative korg/yamaha/roland forum, and now towards this kind of crap.

• Members

Well, I wonder what would happen here if I posted, say, a thread about making 'left wing' music, for instance. I view threads like this as distinctly political....I mean you're talking about 'meditating on God's word', and in this context, and in the context of other things that CR has written, this is basically 'worshipping ultra right wing politics, and literal interpretation of the bible'....

But I suppose that this is the logical extension of a long drift from an interesting synth based forum to a very conservative korg/yamaha/roland forum, and now towards this kind of crap.

I don't recall anywhere in either of our posts where politics or theology were mentioned. Seems to me that we were having a discussion about: (a) using synths in a certain genre of music--"worship" music is as much a genre of music as trance or techno: both are certain styles of music tailored to the context in which they are usually played; and (b) using synths in a certain musical performance setting, just the same as talking about playing live in any other setting.

I hesitated to post a thread on this because I figured some small-visioned closed-minded hothead would object. And, to boot, calling the thread "this kind of crap." Mature. I would expect as much from the amp forum, but not here.

If people start preaching theology or politics in a thread here, then by all means, it's inappropriate. But this thread title accurately reflected the contents: use of synths in a certain live playing setting. If that's not your cup of tea, you had the opportunity to make a responsible decision and just not read the thread.

• Members

There was a thread about the music and equipment on the Stewart/Colbert rally and it didn't seem to bother anyone :idk:

Obviously someone like me didn't watch it and wasn't interested in it, so I just ignored it :idea:

Also, why should it be inappropriate for me to mention that the purpose of my music is worshipping God in a thread that is clearly marked as a worship electronic music thread? And why is worship music "crap"?

• Members

When CR talks about Christianity it has a very specific meaning. The Bible is to be interpreted literally, those who do not believe as he does will burn in hell, and (list of right wing talking points).

As far as the Stewart/colbert rally - I didn't see that thread, but was the talk about music directed towards a political end, or just incidentally about music played at that rally. And, Stewart/colbert are decidedly moderates - very much distinguished from the flagrantly hateful politics so intertwined with the extremist 'Christianity' that is espoused by some.

As for the cultural relevance of Christian music like is being spoken about here - I really guess that it depends on your culture. This sounds more like political triangulation than anything else.

• Members

Alright, you know what Drool? No one else here seems to have a problem, I haven't gotten ANY complaints about it, and this was a nice discussion about using synths in a specific context that I think has merit.

If someone else would like to put up a thread on how best to use synths at a pagan ritual, I think that would be fine, too.

"LET SPILL THE GOAT'S BLOOD!!"

*Jump patch*

If you don't like the topic Drool, just don't read the thread and maybe create a thread you DO like, hm? How about that?

• Members

Religious music has had a huge influence on music in general, in all genres - both classical and popular, and both by direct borrowing between secular and religious music, and by people receiving music training because of a religious upbringing. I think HarmonyCentral would miss out if people didn't talk about the use of music in a religious setting.

I also have a question about traditional religious music. For a while now I have been trying to teach myself to sight read music on a keyboard by playing through hymn books with what I think is the full music version. Some of the music in the left hand seems to have quite a large range between notes - longer than I can comfortably stretch on a keyboard with smaller than usual keys. Is this intended to be played as written on a single keyboard? Is this intended as four part harmony for choirs? Is this intended to be played with pedals or something? Is there a book that answers the question very simply? I don't actually want to be a church organist, but is there a book on playing organs for churches that would answer this sort of question?

• Members

I'm still try to figure out that leap from Christians and music over to politics. What?

Sadly, church in America is closely aligned with one particular political party. I don't think that's the case (anymore) in most of the rest of the rich world nations. I could insert a bit of rants about this subject, but that would firmly be Political Party material. :)

• Members

Now that's simply false. I am allowed to comment factually on false statements made here....has religious music had a huge influence on noise music, for instance? Or essentially any style of 20th century timbral based electronic music? I suppose that the classic comeback is that these aren't music....

Religious music has had a huge influence on music in general, in all genres - both classical and popular, and both by direct borrowing between secular and religious music, and by people receiving music training because of a religious upbringing. I think HarmonyCentral would miss out if people didn't talk about the use of music in a religious setting.

I also have a question about traditional religious music. For a while now I have been trying to teach myself to sight read music on a keyboard by playing through hymn books with what I think is the full music version. Some of the music in the left hand seems to have quite a large range between notes - longer than I can comfortably stretch on a keyboard with smaller than usual keys. Is this intended to be played as written on a single keyboard? Is this intended as four part harmony for choirs? Is this intended to be played with pedals or something? Is there a book that answers the question very simply? I don't actually want to be a church organist, but is there a book on playing organs for churches that would answer this sort of question?

• Members

I'm still try to figure out that leap from Christians and music over to politics. What?

Drool, if ya feel like a rant, PM with your thoughts there. I don't get it at all
:)

Again - a factual post. I made that comment because if you look at CR's posting history on this and other forums, he is a born again, ultra right wing, literal reader of the bible, who believes that we will all burn in hell. When he talks about 'religion' he is talking about something different than someone who is truly religious. It is political.

• Members

I said what I said rather carefully. What you imply about what I said bears little relation to what I actually said.

Not really.

Hell, I can name a few classical composers who composed church music, yet were in private life skeptics, even atheists. Music is music.

Sadly, church in America is closely aligned with one particular political party. I don't think that's the case (anymore) in most of the rest of the rich world nations. I could insert a bit of rants about this subject, but that would firmly be Political Party material.
:)

• Members

So don't. Over moderation is what killed this forum.

You know, it would be nice if everyone would just go back to talking about the actual topic. There's a lovely political subforum just down the block from here, if everyone feels like mixing it up.

Don't make me open my can of Whoop Ass (tm).
:mad:

• Members

You know, you still haven't addressed the OP, Drool...

I really think you crossed over the line here. you have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread, other than calling people names.

Character assassination much? It's not even my thread, btw. You're just going ballistic at the "C" word...

• Members

Well, that can get ridiculous. The thread is also not about questioning whether my posts are on topic. People comment in various degrees of 'off topicness' all of the time. At least mine was commenting about some of the thread itself, instead of posting silly pictures.

You made points about me personally and about christianity. That is not what the thread is about.

You haven't addressed "electronic music/synths in contemporary worship band setting" at all.

Archived