What makes a synth "organic"

ElectricPuppy

• Members

Alrighty, here's our Super Serious Synth thread to end the week with.

Every now and then I'll see someone make a claim about how some piece of gear sounds "organic". It makes me giggle every time I see that. What in the world could make an electronic gizmo sound organic? My guess is that's the poster's way of saying, "it lacks high-end".

In conclusion, I think calling any synth "organic" is just silly hyperbole. Thoughts?

• Members

Well no aliasing is a good start ... Anything blocky, bitcrushed, grainshifted, distorted -- I realize some of these are effects -- is probably not going to sound "organic" in the conventional sense (if we can even agree there is one) ...

A safe bet would be analog, preferably VCOs and vintage ... But results are just as important as the source ...

"Organic" is a word I would certainly certainly apply to my JP8 and JP6 ... Sure, like most adjectives, it's subjective ... but these synths, for me, have a very pleasing quality in the ear/brain relative to other synths ... Other similar desciptors could be "smooth," "warm" ... But organic also connotes an aliveness, randomness that is perhaps stated in contrast to some of the digital VAs and softsynths out there that might never get that label ... (This can be even more apparent when sounds are being tweaked in real-time ... )

I'm also not holding this up a some ideal to be aspired to ... An "organic"-sounding synth, or an "organic"-sounding result, is simply a set of colors in the producer/musician's palette ... In the end, it could simply viewed as the spectrum opposite of the pejorative "digital."

One of the reasons I like JP6 so much is that it's crazy-ass high end still sounds ... "organic" ... As if it was perhaps a "real sound," created by nature, which it is really already, but that we just haven't heard yet ...

That's one of the great things about synths ... whether organic or not ...

• Members

Tubes are the most "organic" electronic component ever invented. This why B3 organs are so fat and organic sounding. A well built tube synth would also kill in the organic dept. Go thru the S-1000 demos and you will hear how big and organic or crazy sounding a tube synth can be.

http://www.metasonix.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=61

• Members

Alrighty, here's our Super Serious Synth thread to end the week with.

Every now and then I'll see someone make a claim about how some piece of gear sounds "organic". It makes me giggle every time I see that. What in the world could make an electronic gizmo sound organic? My guess is that's the poster's way of saying, "it lacks high-end".

In conclusion, I think calling any synth "organic" is just silly hyperbole. Thoughts?

What makes a synth "organic?" The chorus settings. :lol:

• Members

Organic is just an adjective that has been found to be a successful advertising word. As we have seen here it has many different meanings to different people

Yeah, and there are so many other "synth words" as well: warm, fat, dirty, nasal, biting, spacey, evolving, earthy, ________________ (place your word here).

:cool:

• Members

Yeah, and there are so many other "synth words" as well: warm, fat, dirty, nasal, biting, spacey, evolving, earthy, ________________ (place your word here).

The synth sound descriptors don't bother me nearly as much as how every guitar player describes how their guitar plays like butter.

• Members

Of course, because it's THE SOUND being described not the synth ...

I think part of the issue with some of the respondents here is that they don't have a synth that readily falls into said sound category ... "Your synths are digital ... "

And while certain descriptors can be overused, we still need them to convey meaning ... Not to mention, I don't see the word being overused in general becuase most synths don't have that native ability to sound that way ...

When I first played Paolo's JP8, I couldn't believe a machine was making those sounds ... They sounded so real, present, pleasing and ... and ... organic ... although admittedly perhaps more in an astral, aethereal kind of way ...

It wasn't like there were sliced onions falling out of the heat sink ...

• Members

Well, sorry. I think the s1000 can sound very good in an extremely small sweet spot...does it have its own sound? Yes. But it only sounds organic because of your association of tubes with organic.

Tubes are the most "organic" electronic component ever invented. This why B3 organs are so fat and organic sounding. A well built tube synth would also kill in the organic dept. Go thru the S-1000 demos and you will hear how big and organic or crazy sounding a tube synth can be.

Archived