How much time do you spend cleaning your studio?

droolmaster0

• Members

I'm a slob - I admit it. I get home from work, have dinner, maybe a drink or 2, maybe work out a bit, and then the time is precious. I want to spend it playing music. But then over time, junk accumulates, dust accumulates, and it gets to be a less pleasant place to work. But then the task seems more immense, and so I put it off longer.

Then I see pictures of some other people's studios, and they look immaculate. How do you wind up achieving this - timewise, and psychologically? I mean, sometimes the only clean up work I feel like doing is removing the cables from last night's modular patch...

• Members

There are just as many cigarette and beer bottle cluttered studios as there are clean ones. :lol:

I clean once a week and it's usually my sons toys. I have a sort of personal "if you put it away now you won't have to later" sort of philosophy. So nothing ever gets that far out of order.

• Members

Once my studio gets to the "nightmare" stage, I spend a couple of days putting everything right.

...Only then do I ever snap a photo.

My studio has remained a nightmarish mess since I finished Stealing The Sun in November. My father fell down a flight of stairs in early December and suffered a traumatic brain injury. I've taken over his finances and whatnot since then. I don't know when the heck I'm going to get in the studio again...I've got a piece 85% done and it's driving me bats. :(

• Members

My wife would love it if I would clean this place regularly. It is my man cave. I don't smoke and I very seldom drink alcohol anymore so there is no detritus from those vices. I know I am boring... I drink lots of coffee though, regular and decaf, and there is usually at least one mug in here and also one of the teacups that I use to hold dark chocolate chips. If you hunt around on the floor you can probably find an old chocolate chip down there. The place is stuffed with my guitar and synth gear, books, CDs, video games, papers, and other stuff. Wife has tried to clean a couple times in the past but was chastised because I couldn't find papers afterward.

One time last summer at work, a coworker came into my office looking for a printed document for a project on which I had worked about three years ago. I said, "hmm I dunno I haven't looked at that in over one year", which was the truth, reached into one of the four piles on my desk (about 2 feet high each) and pulled it out. He was amazed. I told him I wished my wife could have seen me do that. She doesn't get my physio-mental filing system I guess.

• Members

However that does suck with what updates i've been hearing
:cry:

Thanks.

I'm itching to spend a couple days in the studio to clean it but there's just no time right now...I need to hire a CPA for my dads stuff, then maybe I can get some semblance of a life back.

Dammit, I need my "Man Cave" back, especially now! :freak::lol:

• Members

It's a regular thing gets done weekly, Even though I tend

to too much time spent here, or *webbing* edit myself.

My dead shed. Them Dust mites and their feces

Regular clutter and stuff. just gets replaced again.

No hairballs or cat dander here.jk

I'm smiling Kids,,,.

I really mean that, smiling part...

Chas

• Members

It is my man cave. I don't smoke and I very seldom drink alcohol anymore so there is no detritus from those vices. I know I am boring... I drink lots of coffee though, regular and decaf, and there is usually at least one mug in here and also one of the teacups that I use to hold dark chocolate chips. If you hunt around on the floor you can probably find an old chocolate chip down there.

Sounds just like my studio.

:thu:

• Members

Cleaning up usually means a re-vamp / re-organization, which seems to happen every couple of months or so ... For me, it's a great substitue for buying new gear as a re-organization usually entails a new focus on different gear or workflow ...

At that point, all cables get removed and re-patched ... Dusting, vacuuming, etc. I admit I like a VERY tidy studio ...

That's always between projects though ... I would NEVER do that in the middle of recording or some such ...

This time, I added a table to put my computer, external monitor, external HD, audio interface and V-Synth XT and Space Echo on it ... Also, so using the computer, mousing and typing are more conventional and comfortable as opposed to the many smaller stands, tables and whatnot I was using before, resulting in a usable but somewhat chaotic collection of heights and surfaces ... In the end, it just wasn't ergonomic ... I also added a cool Sherlock Holmes-like desk to replace a chest that previously held some of my extra cables and other gear ... Now that's in another room but I'm going to try and put the bulk of it in the studio closet ...

Very happy with the new setup and it looks terrific and is very functional and comfortable ...

The only compromises made were the external 23" monitor is no longer above Maschine ... So now I've really got to get used to using the Maschine controller on it's own, which of course it's designed to do ... And also, when recording/editing in Logic, the monitoring position isn't as ideal -- although I'm thinking of maybe adding another monitor to fix that if this setup becomes quite entrenched ...

(I'll take some pics and post after I eat something ... )

Archived