POD XT initial review

thefyn

• Members

UPDATE:

http://www.web-design100.net/Unicorn%20Brutal.mp3

Clipy after all of the advice I got here (plus some help from Amplitube 2)

Previously.....

:cry:

I can not get a great sound out of it. I can get an okay sound but it sounds really fizzy. I have even tried a beringer cab sim box, a tube pre after it etc and it still sounds like the solo from "Never Met A Girl Like You Before"

I know it can do good sounds from the evidence online. I needs me some patches for direct recording.

Cleans are nice. Good job I am in a thrash band.

HELP!!!!

• Members

I only tried it with good computer speakers..

For cleans and leads, I think the Pod rocks for that.

For rythm distorted parts..that's the challenge of the podxt..tweak, tweak and multitrack different sounds..don't take for granted the usual configuration for amps..some models actually sound better with overdrive in front eventhough you'd never do this if you had the real amp in front of you . The reason pretty much why I'll probably get rid of mine..I'm not too patient with this stuff and like it simple.

You can download some tones on customtone.com , can give you an idea..some patches are quite good.

There are some gurus on the line6 boards that can help you to remove the fizz too.

I guess you got the 2.0 updates ? they're even at 3.0 now..the 2.0 removes the fizz pretty much, especially that you can use the graphic eq provided in the update along with all the other models, effects and cabs.

If you haven'T done so..I'd suggest you to do it before investing too much time twaking your patches..as they'll sound VERY different, not always in a good way when going from 2.0 to the most recent version

• Members

It is all updated with the metal pack and the version 3 etc with new bios. I can get rid of the fizz, at the expense of any clarity. I can not find a good ballance. Are there any go to patches for recording tones? I have good speakers etc.

• Members

Originally posted by thefyn

It is all updated with the metal pack and the version 3 etc with new bios. I can get rid of the fizz, at the expense of any clarity. I can not find a good ballance. Are there any go to patches for recording tones? I have good speakers etc.

Go here -

http://www.skyhighrocks.com/vetta

And try out some of my patches, they have "WillShrdForFood" as the author. Preferably the DaturaBogner-2, MetalToneage, and Datura5150-2, those are my favorites. Basically all the clips in my sig were recorded with combinations of those tones.

• Members

Thanks for the links. I will check them out when I get back from work.

Has Tessarect or Insurrection ever uploaded any patches etc?

I think Tesseract has before but I'm not sure, I'd like to have one of his patches myself. I believe Insurrection has the POD 2.0 or something, not the XT.

• Members

There's a lot of tweaking involved in getting a good high gain tone. I found it best to start by downloading a bunch of patches, then tweaking from there. Keep in mind that the mic and cab selection play a huge role, and you pretty much have to use the TS9 effect to get a tight metal sound. I found a patch on line 6's database calles "Sweet Brutaility" and tweaked it a bit- that's the one I use most often.
Don't forget to set the output type- it will always sound like ass if you ignore that.

• Members

Yeah, Id be sure you have the right output mode first. Either direct or Stack poweramp depending if your going direct, or into a power amp.

After that just pick your favorite model from the Metal Pack. I do like to keep the treble and presence down on some with the mids cranks. It is generally still bright on some models.

For extreme settings, use the EQ, I think the 3rd one over to notch out some, like -10 or something around 3-4K.

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

Yeah, Id be sure you have the right output mode first. Either direct or Stack poweramp depending if your going direct, or into a power amp.

After that just pick your favorite model from the Metal Pack. I do like to keep the treble and presence down on some with the mids cranks. It is generally still bright on some models.

For extreme settings, use the EQ, I think the 3rd one over to notch out some, like -10 or something around 3-4K.

I am going straight into my soundcard in stereo. So I presumed to use direct with speaker simulation.

I liked the software interface. I tweaked the Scot Ian ryth patch a little and it sounded okayish

• Members

I love mine but only for recording and late night jammin' with some headphones. It sounds like an ass through an amp imo. For recording i just double all my parts (exept solo's) with a slightly different EQ and some carefull panning. I get great results with my Creative Soundblaster X-fi soundcard and Cubase SX

• Members

I have the PodXT Live.

The PodXT Live requires some time to get used to. Just think of it this way. How much time do you spend one tube amp to get a good sound? Well, technically there's a lot of amp models, so you'll need to have some patience as well. Don't judge the amp models by the presets. I don't think they sound good. I am currently tweaking 4 patches in bank 1 and I like what I hear.

Depending on your set up, you might want to tweak it through your actual amp if you're planning to use it live or with a band. If only for fun, then tweak it through headphones. I currently tweak it through my PW60.

• Members

I want to use it for recording heavy ryths. I live in a Condo so my tubes amps are used sparingly.

I've had a POD 2.0, POD XT, and a V-Amp II, and I didn't like any of them at all for heavy stuff. They all sound fine for cleans and low-mid gain stuff, but they just sound terrible for high gain IMO. I think this Amplitube program that came with my Mbox2 sounds way better than a POD, and it was free.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

I've had a POD 2.0, POD XT, and a V-Amp II, and I didn't like any of them at all for heavy stuff. They all sound fine for cleans and low-mid gain stuff, but they just sound terrible for high gain IMO. I think this Amplitube program that came with my Mbox2 sounds way better than a POD, and it was free.

PODxt's are fantastic for high gain, but it takes a lot of tweaking and trial and error to get them to sound good. I wanted to smash mine to pieces when I first got it, I've had it over a year and I feel like I'm just now starting to discover its capabilities. Hopefully I can eventually get my own stuff to sound as good as Tesseract's or black neon bob's someday.

• Members

Originally posted by WillShrdForFood

PODxt's are fantastic for high gain, but it takes a lot of tweaking and trial and error to get them to sound good. I wanted to smash mine to pieces when I first got it, I've had it over a year and I feel like I'm just now starting to discover its capabilities. Hopefully I can eventually get my own stuff to sound as good as Tesseract's or black neon bob's someday.

They both EQ the {censored} out of them though, and run all kinds of other {censored} with it.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

They both EQ the {censored} out of them though, and run all kinds of other {censored} with it.

Yep and if you heard just the guitar tracks with no bass or drums behind them, you would notice that they were POD clips. The one thing I noticed over my years here is that no one ever raves over clips of just guitar alone, but they always rave about clips with drums/bass in them because they make the guitar sound better and hide the {censored}ty qualities.

• Members
Originally posted by Deicide1

Yep and if you heard just the guitar tracks with no bass or drums behind them, you would notice that they were POD clips. The one thing I noticed over my years here is that no one ever raves over clips of just guitar alone, but they always rave about clips with drums/bass in them because they make the guitar sound better and hide the {censored}ty qualities.

thats pretty true about ANY guitar sound, real amp or modeller. people want their sound to be huge like on albums and you just CANT do that without multi-tracking and the bass and drums added into the mix.

but yea, you have to play around with the Pod. i find the most fizziness when using the on axis 57 and right after that the off axis 57. the 421 is good though...very open and dynamic but cuts the fizz a LOT.

ive also just discovered the Line 6 Big Bottom patch. i think its one of the best models for metal rhythm and lead. i always had trouble trying to get sustain and a nice thick lead tone out of the Pod, then me and my buddy were playing around and came across the Big Bottom...and yes theres a lot of low end (which ive EQed most of it out) but theres a lot of sustain and warmth and punch and clairty. heres my settings if you wanna try them...

gain 12-2 depending on what im playing, maybe less maybe more.
bass 11 o'clock
mids 3 o'clock
treble 2 o'clock
presence 12
Parametric EQ far left slider, -12.8 db cut at 150
Treadplate cab
421 mic

check out my soundclick and listen to the first clip on the page soundclick

theres still a little bit of fizz, but its the best sounding metal tone ive gotten yet. no boost or anything :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by Shask

I like Big Bottom with the treble and presence on zero, and the mids on 10. You would think this would sound weird, but it actually sounds pretty good, and still sorta bright.

hmmmm maybe i just like bright sounds? :confused: what cab and mic are you using on that? the Treadplate cab is a bit muffly anyways so i think they match pretty well, along with the 421 mic.

Archived