Now Kids, THIS is what you become when you learn how to play keys.

5e3deluxe

• Members

I can value and appreciate the talent & skill from any performance, some people seem to have this notion that if someone can't play keys like Jordan Rudess, they are a hack.

I love listening to different people and pick out the talents that appeal to me, it's nice to appreciate all different skill sets not just wether a guy can play scales and arpegios like a machine.

I really enjoyed that Oscar peterson clip (RIP) that dude had serious skills and talent and it humbles me every time I listen to him and people like him.

Another guy who I appreciate is watching Michael with the pitch bender, he has what seems to be such a natural ability to bend the notes up and down, and do it so naturally and tastefully. I'm sure he worked his ass off to get there, so even thiough to me it might seem like he was born with it, I'd be willing to bet he spent a lot of time perfecting his technique.

All talent is good and inspirational for me, regardless of the style.

PS---> I can boogie woogie with the best of em' but I tend to focus on areas where I'm not so strong, which is probably very common among most of us.

• Members

Usually when people use the term talent they mean skill. To me skill is the least important aspect of music,... The notes is the most important.

meh.. I'll just bow out of this one since I'm the punk rock troll here.

edit: I've been discovering lately that music has a very thin line between art and a service. I really wish that line was thicker. Having common folks ask me for the 100th time "so you're a musician.. what songs do ya play?",,.. has made me a bit jaded.

• Members

12 bar jazz/blues makes me want to vomit.

I like all music pretty much except for country, I mean if they never made another country song again, I wouldn't shed any tears, but I don't hate it.

As far as the 12 bar stuff, what I like about that isn't so much the notes themselves, but the space between the notes. Some guys think they have to fill every nook and cranny of space with notes, and yammering on doing 2 octave scales at lightning speed is impressive in its own right, there's also something to be said about the perfectly placed (and timed) note on a 12 bar jam which placed 'just right' oodles lots of class.

• Members

I like a wide variety of music too. However, my assessment of a musician's talent is not based on how fast he/she can play. I guess that is why I dislike the playing of most of the big names in prog rock keyboard world. Geddy Lee is one of the few that I like, because his keyboard parts are actually memorable.

I like blues as played by Oscar Peterson. I won't go out of my way to see a blues concert, but I and some friends went out to support the keyboard player during his tour with a blues band. The guitarist put me to sleep, as most blues guitarists do, but the keyboardist kept my attention - not because he played keys, or because he got great Hammond tones out of his clonewheel, or because he could play faster - no it was because he had a variety of interesting things to say and didn't fall back on habitual cliches as much as the guitarist did.

• Members

Some great playing there and a nice collection of styles. Oddly I didn't favor the Yamaha Pianos much. The Kurz sounded good until he swiped his hand. Good meat to the sound. The Roland I agree was Thin but had a nice Top end. IF you married the Two it'd be ideal IMO given the source recording. The Nord didn't even sound like a PIANO! Maybe it was an EP patch by mistake?

Anyhoo... Good Times!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This is an annual event on the Delbert McClinton Sandy Beaches Cruise known as "Pianorama." You've never heard a better 90 minutes of key-bangin in your life! I know I haven't.

"Pianorama" generally happens a couple of times during the cruise and is one of the most popular events on board. The players in the video posted by 5e3deluxe are (from left to right): Red Young, Kevin McKendree, Marcia Ball, Lewis Stephens, & Nick Connolly....all VERY well known in the music industry. The videographer is Jay Curlee.

• Members

Kevin McKendree is a BAD mofo- recording alot of Nashville country tracks this days, AFAIK- this largely due to the absence of Matt Rollings (moved to LA to do soundtracks), who could hold his own with pretty much anybody- funk, bebop, or barrelhouse.

Some of the best boogie-woogie I have heard was on the soundtrack of "The Majestic". I just HAD to find out who it was- turned out to be Jim Cox, who tours with Lyle Lovett and records with just about everybody.

-

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry, couldn't resist resurrecting this thread- I have not posted for a long time 'cause just got internet back after moving.

RE the Oscar vid- IMO that's WAY apples and oranges to compare it to the OP's vid. The Oscar clip wasn't even boogie-woogie, other than maybe the few bars of LH broken octaves. Jazz/blues/stride, maybe. AFAIK boogie-woogie requires a LH ostinato. And also IMO, it's apples and oranges to compare something that intentionally has a rootsy, rough, raucous barrelhouse sound and feel to something that sounds smooth, slick, and polished. I don't think Oscar could have copped the raucous, barrelhouse sound any more than the boogie vid guys could cop the smooth, slick polished etc. sound (I myself like both- it's the yin and yang of music). IMO comparing the 2 vids is like responding to an Otis Spann performance with a Rachmaninoff clip.

FWIW, my response was similar to Puppy's: HOLY {censored}! I'm going to sit down at a crappy DP and bang out some {censored}ty, tasteless, but FUN boogie-woogie! :D

• Members

I don't think Oscar could have copped the raucous, barrelhouse sound any more than the boogie vid guys could cop the smooth, slick polished etc.

I somehow think that if had Oscar wanted to, he could raucous barrelhouse boogie the house down... but generally, that style of music runs out of new things to say after 3 or 4 times around the blues form. An Oscar barrelhouse would soon take the music into areas that would stretch the definition.

On the other hand, I totally agree with your assessment that the boogie vid guys couldn't play in the same style as Mr. Peterson...

This guy got played under the table by Oscar, and he's probably a lot better than anybody in the original vid...

[video=youtube;ZvQIobg0BwU]

Archived