Do you need to be connected to a speaker cab when using the line out on a amp head?

rub1off&tie1on

• Members

You can destroy a tube amp by running it without a speaker load on the head. That being said, and I havn't tried these, I heard Mesa has a few amps that allow for silent recording. Not sure how these work, but it seems to me they must have a dummy load built into the amp.

• Members

Originally posted by mrbrown49

You can destroy a tube amp by running it without a speaker load on the head. That being said, and I havn't tried these, I heard Mesa has a few amps that allow for silent recording. Not sure how these work, but it seems to me they must have a dummy load built into the amp.

yeah, there's a switch on the back of their newer amps that lets you do that.

• Members
Originally posted by EdgeOfDarkness

What amp are you using ?

Thats one of the reasons i like the Vetta, the master volume does not control the direct outs.

They both have their separate volumes.So you can turn the master volume all the way down and still be able to record.

I've got a 50 watt Laney AOR series II head and a Rivera Hundred Duo and i suck at micing them, so i was hoping this would be another option. Oh well :cry:

• Members
Originally posted by rub1off&tie1on

I've got a 50 watt Laney AOR series II head and a Rivera Hundred Duo and i suck at micing them, so i was hoping this would be another option. Oh well
:cry:

Learn to mic it. The sound will be WAAAAY better that way anyway. Point a 57 at the cone a few inches from the grill and you should be fine. Move it around slightly to get the right balance of punch and warmth. You may need to record with a little less bass than you ussually play with.

• Members
Originally posted by rub1off&tie1on

Just a Shure SM57, i'm hesitant to invest in another and not be able to get good sounds with it either
:o

:(

57 should be fine.
Take the advice above, if still not satisfactory change positions till you get it right...try sitting the Mic closer to where you are sitting sometimes you can pick up the sounds YOU are hearing from there.

good luck !
Don't give up.

• Members

A 57 is great. I use a 57 99% of the time. Remember that what you are hearing where you are standing may not necessarily be what the mic is hearing a few inches from your speaker. You may need to tweak your settings a bit so that the mic hears what you want it to hear. Most of that is EQ related. Also don't try to run it with too much gain.

Archived