alder jacksons... a lot brighter than mahogany?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I'm thinking about dropping $$$ on a usa jackson, and I think I want the mahogany sl2, but I don't see it near as often as I see the alder ones... are these a lot brighter sounding? I tend to like a warmer tone with guitars... so I don't know if I would like the alder very much...

• Members

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2803072858

this is the exact jackson i was wanting. i just noticed it also has a mahogany neck instead of a maple like on the others, that's probably another thing making a lot warmer... hmm... so with all that mahogany I'm guessing this would be near les paul kinda dark tones, but probably a little less thick?

• Members

The Alder is waaay brighter.

I have one of each Dinky in my sig.

Both with JB's and both with bolt on maple neck/Rosewood fretboard.

The mahagony is deeper or darker as you worded it.

The mahagony more of that LP tone not as thick or as much sustain I guess bit it's bolt on as well.

• Members

I've owned a few CS Soloists some years back.

I pref the Mahognay guitars for a "generally" darker and warmer tone.

But, it also depends on the wood vs the weight of the guitar.

One of the Soloists I used was all mahognay neck thru with a quilt maple top. The neck was BIG like a fat '58 LP. It had 2 'buckers and an orig Floyd.

But, due to the heavy weight on this guitar, it was rather sharp soudning.

Another example was a lightweight Soloist, maple neck-thru, and Mahogany wings. This guitar sounded much fatter vs the "heavyweight" all-mahogany one.

Second example, a maple neck-thru and poplar wings. A Much thinner tone, but great sustain.

Third ex., an all mahognay light-weight Soloist had a fat & full, big tone.

My point is, it's not always related to just what type of wood which is used, as the weight and combination of woods also contribute very much to the tone.

I would probably choose a light to medium weight all mahogany guitar for the "best" tone. And def. stay away if they weight a ton...

Hapy hunting!

T.

• Members

Originally posted by TOStudent

The Alder is waaay brighter.

I have one of each Dinky in my sig.

Both with JB's and both with bolt on maple neck/Rosewood fretboard.

The mahagony is deeper or darker as you worded it.

The mahagony more of that LP tone not as thick or as much sustain I guess bit it's bolt on as well.

Nice avatar :thu:

Archived