Help me find the perfect combo amp!!

unfungames

• Members

I need a combo amp for recording/playing gigs. It doesn't have to be very powerful. Our other guitarist in the band plays through a 1x12 Mesa Nomad combo and it's got plenty of power for anything we do. I know that would be a good tube combo, but they're kind of hard to find at a good price.

I need a real good crisp distortion sound. No metal and no blues. A good alternative rock sound. My guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Special Faded.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to spend more than about $800. Whatever I get I'll probably get one used off of Ebay. I know the Mesa Nomads usually go for around that, but I'm wondering if there's anything anyone can suggest better than the Nomad in that price range.

• Members

If you already like the Mesa sound, but want to stand out from your other guitarist, I'd look into the Mesa F-50 and Rectoverb combos. Both are about the same price used.

If not a Mesa combo, I like the Rivera R55-12 or Chubster/Suprema for more of a Marshall tone on overdrive and really sweet Fender cleans.

Then, I'd look into the VHT 45 or 50ST combos.

• Members

Originally posted by unfungames

I need a combo amp for recording/playing gigs. It doesn't have to be very powerful. Our other guitarist in the band plays through a 1x12 Mesa Nomad combo and it's got plenty of power for anything we do. I know that would be a good tube combo, but they're kind of hard to find at a good price.

I need a real good crisp distortion sound. No metal and no blues. A good alternative rock sound. My guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Special Faded.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to spend more than about $800. Whatever I get I'll probably get one used off of Ebay. I know the Mesa Nomads usually go for around that, but I'm wondering if there's anything anyone can suggest better than the Nomad in that price range.

Tons of good choices

Vox AD60VT/VTX

AC30

Mesa DC3

Maverick

Laney VC30

Reverend Hellhound

Crate Vintage Club, V-Series, Palomino

George Dennis Mighty Mouse

Bedrock 600 Series

Seymour Duncan 84-40

Peavey C30, Delta Blues