How much of an improvement will an attenuator make to my recorded tone?

rub1off&tie1on

• Members
Originally posted by AMSnell

Blasting an amp at full volume with a mic 2 inches away will break the mic....

wont it?

:confused:

Has every time I tried it in a studio...

You sure you've actually broken a mic dude? It'd be pretty easy for a cranked amp to overload a preamp's input if you aren't using a pad, which I suppose could be confused with something being broken, but it's not terribly likely to really damage anything. A lot of the same mics used on guitar cabs are often crammed right into drums, which can create very extreme sound pressure levels, but even that doesn't damage them.

With mics today, if it is moving a lot of air, it could damage some condensers without a pop filter if you just crammed it right in there, just like blowing into it could, but that's not terribly likely to happen.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have to chime in here...

Attenuators change the tone of amps, period. When the SPL goes down the speaker acts completely different and the tone changes. I have yet to hear an attenuator that can reproduce the sound of a cranked amp spot-on. Attenuators are great if you don't mind the tone difference. Also, it totally depends on how you run a hi-gain master volume amp to know if an attenuator is going to be beneficial in that situation. If clean headroom is desired, and most hi gain amps are used with gobs of preamp distortion, then an attenuator is the wrong choice. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by rub1off&tie1on

Is it a pretty noticable change in tone, or will it not even matter much when placed into a full vocal and instrument mix?

??? Why not just track in the studio and crank your amp? No attenuator neccessary.

Attenuate live to get that cranked power section tone without going deaf. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by AMSnell

If your gonna want cranked amp sounds at studio volumes, your gonna want to use an attenuator of some kind otherwise the volume will most likely destroy any studio mic.

There will be a noticable tone change, I find that they take off a lot of the top and and give you a darker sound, but im sure that a while fiddling with mid placement/eq's etc will get you the tone you want with one
:thu:

Nah, use a 57 no problem.

Archived