How much of an improvement will an attenuator make to my recorded tone?

rub1off&tie1on

• Members

Originally posted by rub1off&tie1on

I've got two, a Laney AOR series II 50watt head and a Rivera Hundred Duo 12. The Laney i just plug into the lower gain channel and slam it with an overdrive pedal, the Rivera i run clean, clean with overdrives, or straight into the Marshally channel.

Personally I wouldnt use an attenuator with either of those amps. But if you can try one out, go for it, you may dig it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by rub1off&tie1on

I've got two, a Laney AOR series II 50watt head and a Rivera Hundred Duo 12. The Laney i just plug into the lower gain channel and slam it with an overdrive pedal, the Rivera i run clean, clean with overdrives, or straight into the Marshally channel.

Slamming the front end of a high gain amp will get you some pretty tasty recorded tones for sure at tv type volumes, lots of guys here do that.

• Members
Originally posted by telephant

Mother{censored}er was used in jest and if that wasnt obvious I dont know what to tell you.

As for the rest of that, I think you're full of {censored}.
:thu:

I think you know I am correct, and now you feel dumb for being exposed as a "know it all" wannabe.

Thats what I think. :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by code_blue

I think you know I am correct, and now you feel dumb for being exposed as a "know it all" wannabe.

Thats what I think.
:wave:

Little bedroom wackoff artist says what?????? :D

You figure out how to make your fishtank quiet yet by asking the metal heads here??? :thu:

My fishtank is keeping me up after wacking off :cry:

• Members
Originally posted by Digital Jams

Little bedroom wackoff artist says what??????
:D

You figure out how to make your fishtank quiet yet by asking the metal heads here???
:thu:

My fishtank is keeping me up after wacking off
:cry:

"the House of Metal CT chapter"

LOL!

That is all.

• Members

dude people have been micing amps at full volume for years!!!
:idea:

Thats not going to blow a mic up. And attenuator will only make your tone worse IMO. If you're abgle to turn your amp up, turn it up. Makes infinitely more sense than using an attenuator IMO.

+1

• Members

That little Zvex has TONE!!

But, on the real, I will tell you whats the nicest cheapest piece of equipment I've ever used.....

B000BVS7WQ.01-A28RZEVTQ2NMS9._AA280_SCLZ

Its f*cking amazing! I dont know why it doesnt get more recognition. I took it apart and modded it to be used with an 8 ohm cab (basically screwed in a jack and wired each of the correct speaker cables too it) and when you plug it into a good speaker, its AWESOME!

Proper JCM-800 tone, no joke.

Boosted its :love:

• Members
Originally posted by AMSnell

That little Zvex has TONE!!

But, on the real, I will tell you whats the nicest cheapest piece of equipment I've ever used.....

B000BVS7WQ.01-A28RZEVTQ2NMS9._AA280_SCLZ

Its f*cking amazing! I dont know why it doesnt get more recognition. I took it apart and modded it to be used with an 8 ohm cab (basically screwed in a jack and wired each of the correct speaker cables too it) and when you plug it into a good speaker, its AWESOME!

Proper JCM-800 tone, no joke.

Boosted its
:love:

I dont if this is sarcastic but Vlad actually posted clips of that amp boosted with an Sd-1 and it sounded pretty {censored}ing good!!! :eek:

I know that sounds hard to believe so let me see if I can dig up the clip.

• Members

I dont if this is sarcastic but Vlad actually posted clips of that amp boosted with an Sd-1 and it sounded pretty {censored}ing good!!!
:eek:

I know that sounds hard to believe so let me see if I can dig up the clip.

its on this page:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=118393

Scroll down to the one called mini marshall. not a bad lead tone for what it is eh? :D

• Members

Well the speaker it was wired too was 8 ohm, so I just assumed the jack would have to have an 8 ohm speaker attached to balande the load. I guess you could use a 16 ohm....wait.....holy {censored} I didnt think of that! *runs off to try*

• Members

And for the record Ive recorded my Superbass full up with the mic right on the grill, let alone two inches away... As well as many, many, many other amps. Ive never heard of a mic blowing up from micing a speaker cabinet.
:confused:

Well, ribbon mics prior to the Royer were noroious for how fragile they were. I also wouldn't want to run something like a U87 in front of a cranked JMP.

• Members

dude people have been micing amps at full volume for years!!!
:idea:

Thats not going to blow a mic up. And attenuator will only make your tone worse IMO. If you're abgle to turn your amp up, turn it up. Makes infinitely more sense than using an attenuator IMO.

I so do not agree...but since THD is paying my bills I won't argue it.

• Members
Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

I so do not agree...but since THD is paying my bills I won't argue it.

Well if its between playing my amp as it was meant to be, at full volume, and using an attenuator, Ill play at full volume every time.

Also, every master volume amp Ive tried the hotplate with sounded :freak:

I dont care if THD is paying your bills, Id like to hear your opinion on the matter! :)

Seriously, if volume is not an issue, why would you want to use an attenuator?

• Members

Well if its between playing my amp as it was meant to be, at full volume, and using an attenuator, Ill play at full volume every time.

Also, every master volume amp Ive tried the hotplate with sounded
:freak:

I dont care if THD is paying your bills, Id like to hear your opinion on the matter!
:)

Seriously, if volume is not an issue, why would you want to use an attenuator?

kay...
I dunno about the "meant to be" part. marshall's big slogan back in the day was that they didn't distort. So meant to be is really not applicable.
And yes in a perfect world nothing beats a cranked amp. However, and this is what I don't dig. You crank an amp and certain things don't gel...you get more of a mess from ghost notes, the speakers scream, yada, yada, yada. There's a happy medium in everything, and for me it's having the amp at a volume where it doesn't want to run away when I take my hands off the fretboard, or sounds like a white noise generator inbetween notes.

Also, I have a Soldano, VHT and Recto that I way prefer in my typical set-up that includes the Hot Plate because it lets me do what i need to.
And regardless of whether something is pre-amp gain only or not, everything sounds better when all components do some of the work.

Can I work without a Hot plate? Hell, yeah. Do I? Nope.

• Members
Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

kay...

I dunno about the "meant to be" part. marshall's big slogan back in the day was that they didn't distort. So meant to be is really not applicable.

Yeah but you know what I meant. I mean whats more glorious than a cranked JMP? :love:

You crank an amp and certain things don't gel...you get more of a mess from ghost notes, the speakers scream, yada, yada, yada. There's a happy medium in everything, and for me it's having the amp at a volume where it doesn't want to run away when I take my hands off the fretboard, or sounds like a white noise generator inbetween notes.

Some damn fine points here and nothing I can really even argue. I mean, you're right. i guess the big thing for me is the hotplate changes the way the amp feels, and to me, it seem to rob punch.

Can I work without a Hot plate? Hell, yeah. Do I? Nope.

Would you use a hotplate with a VH4?

• Members

Yeah but you know what I meant. I mean whats more glorious than a cranked JMP?
:love:

Some damn fine points here and nothing I can really even argue. I mean, you're right. i guess the big thing for me is the hotplate changes the way the amp feels, and to me, it seem to rob punch.

Would you use a hotplate with a VH4?

That's not the Hot Plate but lack of volume (SPL), amp/speaker interaction, and no room compression.

Would I use a VH4 without one? Depends. If I used it the way I did in Austin which was clean, clean with a pedal board...then absolutely. Since with that set-up I usually prefer it to not break up at all. Heck I'm still thinking of getting an SVT to use with my pedal board. :)
If I use it with the gain channels then yes.

Archived