The Ceriatone Matchless Clone is HERE!

rememberduane

• Members

Originally posted by Echoes

the *BIGGEST* thing is tone and reliability! if you got that then you got er cornered!
:thu:
...definitely interested in Ceriatone and am glad you took the plunge for all of us! I hope it works out!

Exactly -- if it has the tone, utility (proper wattage and features), and reliability, that's it.

I'm happy being the guinea pig for all of you guys. :D

And I will put teh metulz0ne in front of it. Or not. :freak::D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by rememberduane

Man... I would LOVE to do that. But my girlfriend is getting into town tonight and we're having a bit of a... dirty weekend. If I bailed on her, she would kill me.
:o

Do you think I could bring it down there with my Ric another time? I've been meaning to see Liverpool, and spending some time with a fellow HCer in a killer studio doesn't exactly sound like a bad time.

you are more than welcome anytime, just drop me a line when you are thinking of visiting

• Members

Originally posted by Hardtailed

The Matchless model on the original Pod was my favorite medal (even though I never got to use it with my hard rock band).

Playing through the real thing must be amazing!

Every time I've played through one it's done nothing but impress me. :D I hope this is just as good. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

Mmm... That looks nice! I've thought about a Super Lead 50 W pre-built chassis from Ceriatone for a while. I'm, however, woefully ignorant of Matchless amplifiers. I do know that they wanted to build a rugged AC-30 that would stand up to touring musicians. Can you point me to some DC-30 recordings that you like?

One of my favorite DC30 users is Todd Nichols, the guitarist from Toad the Wet Sprocket. He used a Matchless DC30 for almost all his dirty tones with Toad the Wet Sprocket...at least on the later albums, using a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb for the cleans. I'm assuming he uses the same setup with his current band, Lapdog, which is also a cool band.

• Members

Originally posted by bullhead

if they made a Hiwatt clone, i would be basically their slave.

even so... the Superbass clone looks {censored}ing sweet

Nik says he's planning on a Hiwatt clone. Send him an email, he's not averse to making things that aren't on the site. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

any comparo's between these guys and Metroamps?

This may be a stupid question but theyre kits, right? you can have the option of building them yourself or Turnkey?

How do they compare to all of the other clones out there ?

I'd be interested to hear the comparisons too -- I'm fairly sure these are cheaper than Metroamps.

They are kits, but Nik will send them to you pre-assembled (which is the route I went -- solder fumes make me REALLY sick, I think I may be allergic), and he and his team do (as you can see) an amazing job of it.

Check out www.ceriatone.com

• Members

Hootie and the blow hards used some type of Matchless amp as well, although I don't remember the model. I used to dig the live tone they got.

I can't believe you don't have some type of speaker cab you can wire up and use to play at least a little bit?

btw how is your throat?

I never heard how your illness turned out.

well I hope.

• Members

Originally posted by GITTarzann

Hootie and the blow hards used some type of Matchless amp as well, although I don't remember the model. I used to dig the live tone they got.

I can't believe you don't have some type of speaker cab you can wire up and use to play at least a little bit?

btw how is your throat?

I never heard how your illness turned out.

well I hope.

I'm a student at university. All I have is my friend's 10w Kustom practice amp. :(

Oh man -- it went way beyond my throat. My whole body was in so much pain that I would puke if I moved 2 inches in my bed -- when I had to pee, I forced myself to the bathroom and had to puke from the pain before I could piss.

Luckily they realized it was inflammation causing the pain and have been keeping me (mostly -- today was a bad day) out of pain with steroids.

Right now, pending test results, the rheumatologist says it's the adult version of rheumatic fever. Which sucks, but will work itself out, so I'm really hoping that's it. It can be a few months of pain, but it's so much better than having lupus or rheumatoid arthritis which is what they first thought I had.

• Members

Originally posted by STEEL KAGE

any comparo's between these guys and Metroamps?

This may be a stupid question but theyre kits, right? you can have the option of building them yourself or Turnkey?

How do they compare to all of the other clones out there ?

One other place to consider is Ted Weber's outfit. www.webervst.com - you can also get amps assembled from them too, and he can supply everything including headshell. Weber doesn't have a Matchless kit though, and while I like his prices, his Trainwreck kit doesn't look very much like the schematics I've seen on the web. The Ceriatone looks more accurate.

One thing I do NOT like about Ceriatone is that he puts a {censored}ing trainwreck logo on his faceplate for those kits... if he's going to do that, he should give money to Ken's estate. What do you think would happen if they started giving out marshall and fender logos on those amps? Yep, they would get the {censored} sued out of them so they don't.

Weber also has a Dumble and an SLO kit, and of course all the standard stuff (50 bazillion Fenders and Marshalls). I start with a Weber kit for the 18 watt Marshalls I build and then modify them and change some parts, but for a full kit they are a great bargain.

Here's a clip of an 18 watt Marshall I built and am tweaking...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1492900&highlight=marshall

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by slash81291

how much did his assembly cost?

$594 for the whole thing excluding tubes (he supplies hand-selected and tested JJ's, but I wanted to choose a few different ones via KCANOS). Then it was about $100 for shipping. I paid total about $700. The kit without tubes and unassembled costs $524. So yeah -- the assembly only costs $70 in this instance!

Archived