The Ceriatone Matchless Clone is HERE!

rememberduane

• Members

My cab/speaker/tubes will be here next week, so no review yet, but here are some pics. Seriously, I have seen "boutique" amplifiers not wired this well. Beautiful PTP job. I can't wait to hear how it sounds. :D Sorry for the shakey-hand cellphone pics.

This is a DC-30 clone, but I'll be putting it in a 1x12 combo cab. Nik got this to me in under 2 weeks, and is one of the nicest guys I could have dealt with. He even sent me a Ceriatone t-shirt. No import taxes either because it's technically an amp kit -- thus engineering materials with no commercial value. :D

05012007018.jpg

05012007019.jpg

05012007020.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by clay_finley

Wow that looks sweet!
:thu::cool:

Thanks. :D Just about $700 shipped too. :thu:

Add $200 for the cab (custom made, shipped to my door), $100 for the speaker, $150 for tubes, and like $5-10 for speaker cable + solder, I'm looking at a Matchless SC-30 clone (with just as quality of a wiring job and Nik uses top end parts -- I've owned Matchless before) for $1150 or so brand spanking new. I'd say that's a rather good deal.

• Members

Mmm... That looks nice! I've thought about a Super Lead 50 W pre-built chassis from Ceriatone for a while. I'm, however, woefully ignorant of Matchless amplifiers. I do know that they wanted to build a rugged AC-30 that would stand up to touring musicians. Can you point me to some DC-30 recordings that you like?

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

Mmm... That looks nice! I've thought about a Super Lead 50 W pre-built chassis from Ceriatone for a while. I'm, however, woefully ignorant of Matchless amplifiers. I do know that they wanted to build a rugged AC-30 that would stand up to touring musicians. Can you point me to some DC-30 recordings that you like?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure who uses them. I've heard Tom Petty does, and even Pearl Jam.

Basically channel 1 is their take on an old NMV AC-30, with interactive treble/bass and all.

The second channel is an EF86-fronted "click" channel, as in there is a 6-position knob for different EQ settings. Obviously there were EF86 amps before, but this is purely a Mark Sampson design. You see it with much more gain on the Bad Cat Hot Cat (also a Sampson amp). Basically you get the higher gain tendencies of the old EF86 AC15s with the power of an AC30.

The other thing is that the transformers are much larger than AC30 trannies, and Mark adds some interesting stuff. There is a bypassable master volume, and a "cut" control like many AC30s have, which is out of the circuit when the master volume is bypassed.

There's also a 15/30 watt switch in the back, and you can choose between the standard GZ34 tube rec or two 5V4s for more sag.

I really can't describe it as anything other than having one preamp that makes it basically a super boutique AC30 with a few quirks of its own and more "beef" due to bigger trannies. When I think of DC30's, I also think of more "sparkle" and "chime" even than a normal AC30. The click channel is basically like an AC15 EF86 front end, but with a bit more gain.

Edit: If this sounds as good as it looks and as good as Nik has been as a businessman, I can't recommend buying a 50w Lead Plexi from him more.

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

dont wait for the cab, get it down to my studio THIS WEEKEND!!!!

Man... I would LOVE to do that. But my girlfriend is getting into town tonight and we're having a bit of a... dirty weekend. If I bailed on her, she would kill me. :o

Do you think I could bring it down there with my Ric another time? I've been meaning to see Liverpool, and spending some time with a fellow HCer in a killer studio doesn't exactly sound like a bad time.

• Members

Sweet ! !! 1!

Yeah, it's funny what "boutique" amp dealers charge compared to 'Gems' like this available... if you don't mind doing the research !!

Both my Ceriatones are amazingly high quality throughout and tone to die for. Nik is very responsive to questions and is truly a class act. :)

Congratulations !! I can't wait to hear your TONE report ! ! :love: :love:

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by The Evil Dr. X

Sweet ! !! 1!

Yeah, it's funny what "boutique" amp dealers charge compared to 'Gems' like this available... if you don't mind doing the research !!

Both my Ceriatones are amazingly high quality throughout and tone to die for. Nik is very responsive to questions and is truly a class act.
:)

Congratulations !! I can't wait to hear your TONE report ! !
:love:

:wave:

Which ones do you have again?

Agreed, Ceriatone truly is a gem. I'm so glad I found this and took the plunge.

• Members

Originally posted by rememberduane

Thanks.
:D
Just about $700 shipped too.
:thu:

Add $200 for the cab (custom made, shipped to my door), $100 for the speaker, $150 for tubes, and like $5-10 for speaker cable + solder, I'm looking at a Matchless SC-30 clone (with just as quality of a wiring job and Nik uses top end parts -- I've owned Matchless before) for $1150 or so brand spanking new. I'd say that's a rather good deal.

Congrats R-Duanne...hope it sounds great!...sorry to rain a little on your parade but that is not wired anywhere near as neat as a Matchless...not close. I've owned 3 of em and a Bad Cat too and all of em were mil-spec absolutely clean and properly routed...another *HUGE* part of the Matchless tone is the top quality sourced parts and CUSTOM HAND WOUND transformers, the speaker is even 'conditioned'. Matchless cabinets are the cleanest quality and best built of any I have encountered. You saved probably $7-900 bucks though...I'm interested in hearing your clips when you get em...

• Members

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure who uses them. I've heard Tom Petty does, and even Pearl Jam.

Basically channel 1 is their take on an old NMV AC-30, with interactive treble/bass and all.

The second channel is an EF86-fronted "click" channel, as in there is a 6-position knob for different EQ settings. Obviously there were EF86 amps before, but this is purely a Mark Sampson design. You see it with much more gain on the Bad Cat Hot Cat (also a Sampson amp). Basically you get the higher gain tendencies of the old EF86 AC15s with the power of an AC30.

The other thing is that the transformers are much larger than AC30 trannies, and Mark adds some interesting stuff. There is a bypassable master volume, and a "cut" control like many AC30s have, which is out of the circuit when the master volume is bypassed.

There's also a 15/30 watt switch in the back, and you can choose between the standard GZ34 tube rec or two 5V4s for more sag.

I really can't describe it as anything other than having one preamp that makes it basically a super boutique AC30 with a few quirks of its own and more "beef" due to bigger trannies. When I think of DC30's, I also think of more "sparkle" and "chime" even than a normal AC30. The click channel is basically like an AC15 EF86 front end, but with a bit more gain.

Edit: If this sounds as good as it looks and as good as Nik has been as a businessman, I can't recommend buying a 50w Lead Plexi from him more.

Cool! Thanks for the education. So, the Ceriatone, despite the ridiculously low price, is a boutique clone, of a boutique clone (with some cool added features on the DC-30 design).

I think I'd like to try one of those out as the AC-30 has always intrigued me.

• Members

Which ones do you have again?

Agreed, Ceriatone truly is a gem. I'm so glad I found this and took the plunge.

I bought a JTM45 and an 18watt with the trem. :)

I kind of wish I'd gone for the 36w or maybe something with an EF86 front end. ...maybe later.

I found 2 Marshall small box head cabs in red tolex with small logos for $325....... so that was the finishing touch ! :love:

• Members

Originally posted by Echoes

Congrats R-Duanne...hope it sounds great!...sorry to rain a little on your parade but that is not wired anywhere near as neat as a Matchless...not close. I've owned 3 of em and a Bad Cat too and all of em were mil-spec absolutely clean and properly routed...another *HUGE* part of the Matchless tone is the top quality sourced parts and CUSTOM HAND WOUND transformers, the speaker is even 'conditioned'. Matchless cabinets are the cleanest quality and best built of any I have encountered. You saved probably $7-900 bucks though...I'm interested in hearing your clips when you get em...

Thanks!

It looks quite close to how neat my Matchless Spitfire 15 was, but maybe I'm just having memory problems. :D

I do know that Matchless uses top quality parts -- but Nik does as well. He also gets custom hand-wound transformers.

The cabinet I had made was by a very small builder in FL who does top quality work. Fingerjointed hand-selected pine, ported back, etc.

Obviously I'm not expecting this to be a real DC-30, but it is comparable in my mind, for much cheaper. I'll definitely get clips up. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by The Evil Dr. X

I bought a JTM45 and an 18watt with the trem.
:)

I kind of wish I'd gone for the 36w or maybe something with an EF86 front end. ...maybe later.

I found 2 Marshall small box head cabs in red tolex with small logos for $325....... so that was the finishing touch !

Very cool. Awesome deal on the head cabs too! Do you have any clips?

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

Cool! Thanks for the education. So, the Ceriatone, despite the ridiculously low price, is a boutique clone, of a boutique clone (with some cool added features on the DC-30 design).

I think I'd like to try one of those out as the AC-30 has always intrigued me.

Ceriatone didn't add any features, all the cool features were designed by Mark Sampson -- the designer of Matchless amps. :thu:

This is a clone of a boutique clone, but using comparable parts and transformers, so at worst we're talking 90% of a Matchless' tone at less than half the price even after you factor in the cab, speaker, tubes, etc. :thu:

• Members

Thanks!

Obviously I'm not expecting this to be a real DC-30, but it is comparable in my mind, for much cheaper. I'll definitely get clips up.
:thu:

the *BIGGEST* thing is tone and reliability! if you got that then you got er cornered!:thu: ...definitely interested in Ceriatone and am glad you took the plunge for all of us! I hope it works out!

Archived