OT: Going to Israel Tonight

JBecker

• Members

Wish me the best. I'll be checking out of here for ten days. I'll be back with pictures up online on the 19th or 20th (depending on how fast I need to get to bed after my trip). I am going for free through Birthright with Hillel from my school and I'm definitely psyched. I've been trying to get my parents to let me go my whole life and finally I'm getting the chance. Hopefully now they'll let me head back there for my cousin's wedding in June (I have more family in Israel than in the states...).

• Members

Originally posted by The*Ataris

Cool, just be careful around guys wearing really puffy jackets, yeah?

My dad has a really cool picture of him riding a camel in Israel when he was in the navy. I'm pretty jealous...

Yeah I'm really excited. We have our own MPs that travel with us and a direct connection to our own war room at Israeli Intelligence. I'm not that worried.

Birthright, the organization that sends us over there, is partially funded by the government and has a lot of liability/publicity to be concerned with.

• Members

Cool, I'm pretty good friends with a girl who did something similar last year. She had a really good time, but is generally pretty obsessed with Jewish history...kind of in a crazy way. Her idea of fun is a little different than most people. You can learn a lot of culture from her though!

Any opportunity to soak in the nightlife or anything? Granted most 18-22 year olds there are in the military there...

Been brushing up on your Hebrew?

• Members

Originally posted by The*Ataris

Cool, I'm pretty good friends with a girl who did something similar last year. She had a really good time, but is generally pretty obsessed with Jewish history...kind of in a crazy way. Her idea of fun is a little different than most people. You can learn a lot of culture from her though!

Any opportunity to soak in the nightlife or anything? Granted most 18-22 year olds there are in the military there...

Been brushing up on your Hebrew?

We have a night free at a Kibbutz that has a couple of clubs, but not a serious look at the night life. We're on Taglit, which is a more historical and religious trip than Oranim, which is more about showing young people what life is like in Israel on a daily basis.

Definitely working on my Hebrew which is pretty much {censored}, but I should be taking it next year at school if all goes well.

• Members

Hi guys...

Im an Israeli living in Herzelia (20KM north of Tel Aviv...)
AtarisPunk - the Taglit project is usually accompanied by 20yr old israelis that are soldiers or officers in the army, so that the foreign people would see what we're like... Youll might meet some friends from my unit - air traffic controllers.

Anyways you're gonna have a great time, theres a lot of stuff to see, and the nightlife is amazing... Im beginning to sound like a radio commerical. but my point is that its not as bad here as some of you guys mentioned, actually its pretty damn safe!!! And Camels you'll find only in the south...

• Members

Originally posted by Mr.Bates

Hi guys...

Im an Israeli living in Herzelia (20KM north of Tel Aviv...)

AtarisPunk - the Taglit project is usually accompanied by 20yr old israelis that are soldiers or officers in the army, so that the foreign people would see what we're like... Youll might meet some friends from my unit - air traffic controllers.

Anyways you're gonna have a great time, theres a lot of stuff to see, and the nightlife is amazing... Im beginning to sound like a radio commerical. but my point is that its not as bad here as some of you guys mentioned, actually its pretty damn safe!!! And Camels you'll find only in the south...

Yeah I am really ok with going. I have family in Balfouria (near or in Afula, I can't remember) and I can't wait to stop off in that area and maybe meet up with some of them. Trust me, no need to sell hte place to me, I have been brought nearly to tears a couple of times just thinking about the fact that I am going to be in Israel soon.

Btw, you guys use the same power adapters as Europe, right? Two circle prongs, 220 or 240V right?

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

hope you enjoy it man

i travelled abroad (spain) for the first time about a year ago

My first time (other than Aruba when I was like 7) was this summer when I got to go to Germany for a week free, and then extended my trip with my father into Switzerland and Italy. Great experience.

• Members
Originally posted by AtarisPunk29

My first time (other than Aruba when I was like 7) was this summer when I got to go to Germany for a week free, and then extended my trip with my father into Switzerland and Italy. Great experience.

awesome man,
i enjoyed spain quite a bit...the weather and food took some getting used to, being in such a huge city i never did get too comfortable with; but enjoyed none the less :thu:

• Members

I cant believe how many jews we are on this board...lol
I went on birthright, best 10 days of my life. I extended my trip for 3 weeks and stayed with family...that was also a kickass experience. Israel is a very special place. I dunno if you'll feel it, but i felt a real connection when I was there. Have fun man!

• Members

You guys tell a lot of mistaken things about us. No camels, No Islamic fanatics of the street.
We have great clubs scene of Rock, Metal (Betzefer is in Roadrunner Records) and Trance, and some great pubs in Tel Aviv.
Although every 18 year old kid goes to the military, not all are fighting in the battlefront, adn you'll find a lot of 18-21 guys just hanging around.
Which means [yes, I know, unexpected] WE ARE JUST REGULAR PEOPLE! :D

Israel is a great place, you're gonna enjoy it!
If you want any help just drop a PM.

Archived