New to synth- friend gave me a Roland SH-101

• Members

I've played guitar for 3 decades, but my increasing RA will soon enough take that away and I realized this thing might be my future in music. Thing is IDK how to use it really. I know keys ok but gotta learn the controls for the synth.

He also gave me a Casio LK-33 so I can work on my keys some, but that Roland surprised me. Neither of us knew what he had there, and when he gave it to me he told me if it was worth anything to not tell him. He gets this stuff in those storage unit buy-outs.

So who do I send this to to get it serviced, and where do I go to learn the basics of using this synthesizer? Thanks in advance.

• Members

Congratulations. It sounds like you really scored on this one.

It's a monophonic synth. It's pre-MIDI.

It's rated five stars at Vintage Synth Explorer.

And prices on EBay run from $500 to $1.5K.

Does it turn on? If so - it should be easy to figure out.

The sliders & knobs are labeled. But remember - it's one note at a time.

sh-101.jpg

sh101.jpg

There is a page with service & instruction manuals here.

http://www.retrosound.de/sh-101.html

and here http://www.synthlearn.com/roland-sh101.html

If it's broken, someone else here can recommend where to get it serviced.

• Members

It is nothing like a guitar.

It is so horrible to program, you will go insane trying to make even a bleep noise.

You should give it to me, and stick with guitar playing.
;)

Dude I was playing it then my pick got stuck in between the keys. :facepalm:

Etienne- thanks for the links and info, etc! Lots o good stuff there! :eek::wave:

• Members

ah, don't feel bad. I bought a used Korg Prophecy once and it had a wobbly pitch wheel, so I opened it up and found a guitar pick inside.:lol:

That wasn't the issue with the wheel but I found it funny anyway....still have the pick btw, and not the prophecy.:idk:

You can still give me the 101 and I'll send you a new pick.

Here is a link that teaches the basics of subtractive synthesis.

http://www.kvraudio.com/wiki/?id=The+Basics+Of+Subtractive+Synthesis

apologies to HC for posting a link to another forum.

• Members

Actually I'm still undecided on it. It sure is a fun thing to mess around with. Might just hang on to it. I've gone through it and everything works on it. For this being my first synth and all though I thought I might be better off with something more modern, no? I did notice that the sh-101 is high on the under $800 thread, and I would not be able to afford more. Now it's looking like that SG is a ways off. =/

• Members

Who needs an SG anyway.

(I'll trade you my mutt strat with an ESP body and stainless steel frets in a hand-made neck, or my custom 1972-style tele with two Duncan hambuckers and a Warmoth flamed maple neck, for the SH-101
:D
:D:D)

Throw in that avatar of yours and I'll consider it...

:lol:

Seriously though is techno/dance ACID the only kinda thing this can do? I don't really dig that stuff daddio- it's square man (just kidding, but I don't naturally gravitate toward it). My plan is to get some work with it recording background music for various projects. I'll probably have to get some sort of Midi device for it. What do you all recommend?

• Members

From what I can recall, remote control was analog so you'd have to get something that could take midi in and convert it to an analog voltage to control the 101.

I seem to remember it had a neat little 'sequencer' on it so you could 'program' a few notes into it and just have it play back in a loop mode.

• Members

Well look, you're obviously torn here, so I'll tell you what. I will give you ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS (yes, $100) for it. I know, it's a bit much, but I feel like you deserve a good jump start on that SG and a compromise to this issue. I can PayPal ;)

• Members

I wouldnt pay more than 800 for a 101 and prob wouldn't even pay that. The red and blue ones go for a lot. mine was 420 and it was grey and crappy looking and I sold it for that much a while later which I regret.

They are great fun and indeed the sequencer is very very cool.

• Members

too, (from OldGearGuy)

so I'll post my Electro House example as well
:D

Very nice! See now you know what you're doing- mine was more of a joke. I stumbled upon a tone that reminded me of that Zombie song. I've seen some very impressive stuff on Youtube, and I have a drummer or three I can use as well as other musicians. I'll see what we can do and if it's worthwhile I'll upload it.

Archived