amp placement and direction?

LARRY L

• Members

For stage setup med, size room for 300. say 60' x 90'. I have a fender deluxe. My sound man wants me to aim the amp towards me and mike it. I like it in back of me on a stand with it also miked.

Is it better to fill most of the room up with the natural amp sound and use the mike/ pa for a complete room sound or is it better to rely on the mike and pa to do the whole sound?

• Members

The PA should do as much as possible. The on stage amp should really only be your personal monitor.

I know this is a subjective but what is the best mike for $100-$200 range? I now have a EV 478. I'm concern for the loss of the tone and "pinch harnmonic"squeeks being lost.

• Members
For stage setup med, size room for 300. say 60' x 90'. I have a fender deluxe. My sound man wants me to aim the amp towards me and mike it. I like it in back of me on a stand with it also miked.

Is it better to fill most of the room up with the natural amp sound and use the mike/ pa for a complete room sound or is it better to rely on the mike and pa to do the whole sound?

Have you tried using it as a sidefill, or nearly so? That works really well. And yes, obviously you want the PA to carry the room for your instruments.

Archived