OT gear that died before it's time.

DJ RAZZ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember how highly anticipated the OB-12 was when it came out in 2000. It was to be the return of Oberheim. Mars Music had one on the floor for a few months, but nobody was buying them. I sat down and played with it a few times and liked it quite a bit, and couldn't see why people weren't going for it. Maybe the price point was just a little bit high. Before I knew it, it was discontinued. So much for that. It took me a while to track one down locally some years later. Glad I did, though. It's a fun and unique-sounding synth.

With the K5000S, the reasons for failure are a bit more obvious. Additive synthesis is just not an easy method to master.

The MC-909, OTOH, came pretty close to fulfilling the promise of the MC series. It just about ties the RS7000 for ease of use and fun, and unlike the RS, the 909 is built like a tank. I still can't believe they can be had for under $500. That's a LOT of sampling groovebox for the money. Another casualty of software and the laptop.

I tried to do a lot of networking to get the OB-12 and MC-909 improved. At least Viscount listened and brought the matter to accounting and discussed it in a meeting. Roland listens to no one unless they have a gold record.

• Members

I don't disagree, but I like their synths. Their M8000 88 key piano weighted controller is considered by some (of the few who've actually seen one) to be the best.

They still make very good pianos.

I still have my M8000. Best keyboard controller in my books, far superior to the KX88 on all counts. Really underrated. Just try to get one in pristine condition now...LOL. Mine is and it ain't going anywhere out of my studio. LOL

• Members

Forgot about that one. Man, that would be perfect for me right now.
:(

The G2X was even sweeter. 61 KEYS, GREAT KEYBOARD ACTION AND AFTERTOUCH. This was Nord's only 61 key synth. It could be programmed on board or with the modular editor. It also has a great vocoder and mic.

• Members

The G2X was even sweeter. 61 KEYS, GREAT KEYBOARD ACTION AND AFTERTOUCH. This was Nord's only 61 key synth. It could be programmed on board or with the modular editor. It also has a great vocoder and mic.

You could edit the "synths" you built on the hardware but you couldn't build synths from the hardware. I used to own a G2X and got rid of it for this reason and the bad keybed. Wish I kept it now though or traded it for a memory expanded G2 keyboard. This would work great for me and college right now.

• Members

True, it bit the dust quickly. It was one of a kind, though.

CRUMAR-BIT-99.jpg

There was a Bit 99 successor, which seems to add more memories and maybe fixed early BitOne MIDI issues mentioned on Vintage Synth...

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/bit99.php

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/bitone.php

This page also suggests it was an expanded BitOne. Maybe someone's Italian is better than this Google translation: "...after two revised versions of the ONE BIT (01 BIT and BIT expander 99), the company was sold to the LEM (Laboratory for Electro Music). ... Bit 99 and Bit 01 are children of the BitOne..."

http://www.enricobassi.it/crumar.htm

KeyboardKawaiK5.jpg

The Kawai K5000s/w was an upgrade to the earlier K5. So they did at least try the idea out a couple of times before giving up on Additive Synthesis.

• Members

I wouldn't blame the difficulty of using additive synthesis alone for the K5000's demise. The DX7 was a bitch to program, but that didn't stop people from buying them. Rather, I think Kawai had a very hard time getting the right people to take them seriously. My local store owner told me that no serious musician of the kind that would be interested in something like the K5000 wanted to be seen with a Kawai synth, as Kawai was considered to be a brand that made more "family" oriented instruments. Customers wanted stuff from Roland, Yamaha, Korg and so on. Kawai had an obvious image problem, and eventually just decided it was time to stop losing money in the synth market and quit that stuff altogether.

• Members

True, it bit the dust quickly. It was one of a kind, though.

Whereas the Bit 01 was one of 3, Unless the Bit One was one of two in which case the Bit 01 was one of four. :lol:

Demos of it usually sound pretty goof, it's a pity it had a daft name and looked like ass.

• Members

The bit one was first generation. Bit 99 and bit 01 were second generation and used a differnt chip set. The bit 99 and 01

were rebadged by several differnt companies/ music stores : Lem, Unique and another store in england whose name I forget. Same synth, differnt cosmetics.

• Members

Chroma

Oasys

Voyetra 8

Kawai K5

Yamaha DX-7

Roland S-series samplers

Clavinet

Nord Modular

Waldorf Q

I'd say the DX-7 died right about on time. It ushered in the digital age, killed off everything with knobs, and had a sound that was all over the radio for the rest of the decade. Some might say the 'electric stab piano' sound lived a little too long as it was.

The Roland S series samplers were somewhat ahead of their time. You could connect it to a CRT monitor and even use a digital tablet to draw waveforms. But since it had very little memory and was only 12 bit, it was about ready to go. Samplers like the EPS were on the way in with 16 bit playback capacity and more RAM.

• Members

You could edit the "synths" you built on the hardware but you couldn't build synths from the hardware. I used to own a G2X and got rid of it for this reason and the bad keybed. Wish I kept it now though or traded it for a memory expanded G2 keyboard. This would work great for me and college right now.

Really you thought the keybed was bad or was it just yours. I thought it was one of Nords best synth action boards to date.

• Members
I'd say the DX-7 died right about on time. It ushered in the digital age, killed off everything with knobs, and had a sound that was all over the radio for the rest of the decade. Some might say the 'electric stab piano' sound lived a little too long as it was.

The Roland S series samplers were somewhat ahead of their time. You could connect it to a CRT monitor and even use a digital tablet to draw waveforms. But since it had very little memory and was only 12 bit, it was about ready to go. Samplers like the EPS were on the way in with 16 bit playback capacity and more RAM.

I read the story behind the failure of the S-50. It was a missed opportunity by Roland yet again. Akai beat them to the punch by bringing out the first commercial sampler for the masses then Roland came out and then Ensoniq crushed everyone in the affordable bang for the buck category.

Archived