OT gear that died before it's time.

DJ RAZZ

• Members

Really you thought the keybed was bad or was it just yours. I thought it was one of Nords best synth action boards to date.

I thought it was terrible considering how much it costed. I thought it was just too loose. I still had my DX-7IIFD at the time and between them, I felt a little cheated my Clavia with the G2X keybed. It made me want to go back and get an expanded G2 Rack and make my DX the controller.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Two instruments I really wish I still had; the Akai AX-80 and a set of Moog Taurus IIs.

ax80l.jpg

I loved the parameter displays on the Akai. And the Taurus II- I was doing bass drops and pissing of sound guys with that thing long before the shoegazers made it popular. Hell, long before most of them were born! :p

• Members
I thought it was terrible considering how much it costed. I thought it was just too loose. I still had my DX-7IIFD at the time and between them, I felt a little cheated my Clavia with the G2X keybed. It made me want to go back and get an expanded G2 Rack and make my DX the controller.

You have a point. My standards had severely dropped by the time the G2X arrived. The only action I liked better was my DSI PEK. I agree even the best stuff today can't touch the old stuff.

• Members

I'd say the DX-7 died right about on time. It ushered in the digital age, killed off everything with knobs, and had a sound that was all over the radio for the rest of the decade. Some might say the 'electric stab piano' sound lived a little too long as it was.

The Roland S series samplers were somewhat ahead of their time. You could connect it to a CRT monitor and even use a digital tablet to draw waveforms. But since it had very little memory and was only 12 bit, it was about ready to go. Samplers like the EPS were on the way in with 16 bit playback capacity and more RAM.

Im going to help you out:

Relevance of a kybd is not limited to radio play, or its limited usage. 6 operators and 32 preset algorithms was a good starting point, but sadly became the end point.

As far as Roland sampler go, you may need to brush up on you facts. No S series, certainly not the 750,760,770 or 700 ever had a " digital tablet", and these were all 16 bit.

I dont know which EPS samplers you are referring to, but the FIRST ones came with half a meg of ram expandable to 4 meg, and was a 13 bit sampler. The Roland 750 held 14 meg, the 770- 16 meg, the 700- 24 meg, and the 760- 32 meg.

• Members

As far as Roland sampler go, you may need to brush up on you facts. No S series, certainly not the 750,760,770 or 700 ever had a " digital tablet", and these were all 16 bit.

I dont know which EPS samplers you are referring to, but the FIRST ones came with half a meg of ram expandable to 4 meg, and was a 13 bit sampler. The Roland 750 held 14 meg, the 770- 16 meg, the 700- 24 meg, and the 760- 32 meg.

No, I'm just fine on the facts. I was actually referring to the S-50 and S-550 -- which were indeed part of the S series -- both of which were 12 bit, and could utilize the DT100 "digitizing tablet." Alles Klar?

I was also very clear about the EPS. I've owned one for, oh, 21 years as of this month. As I said, it has a 16 bit playback capacity ... and it will record samples at 13 bits.

• Members

Im going to help you out:

I dont know which EPS samplers you are referring to, but the FIRST ones came with half a meg of ram expandable to 4 meg, and was a 13 bit sampler.

And while we're on the subject, the first EPS samplers were NOT expandable to 4 meg RAM. They came stock with 512k, and were expandable to 1 or 2 meg, depending on whether you installed the 2X or 4X expansion.

• Members

Casio SK-1

There was never a keyboard that was more fun that this one.

Seriously, we need a little keyboard that would have the one touch, on-the-go sampling that the SK-1 had. And MIDI.

Don't make it too complicated.

• Members

SK-5 and 8: more memory and they had little drum pads. Casio samplers :) quick sampling, they sound cool, you can reverse, apply envelopes to them. Used to see them go for $20 but thx to collectors and circuit-benders (more likely) ppl are trying to sell them for at least $100.

Didn't think Casio got a lot of love here, but all their pro or semi-pro stuff: FZ, CZ, VZ... Even the RZ should have been developed further (Just like the Korg DDD-1) love cheap sampling in a drum machine. And obviously (for me) the SD synths, HZ/HT line. Love the HT-700, if you accept it for what it is, sounds so good. So happy and fuzzy and 80's. and yet ppl pay 2-5x as much for Poly800. Do want a HT-6000

• Members

I remember looking at the S series Rolands in early 1986 (April/May in Sound on Sound I think) IIRC they were a month or two ahead of the Akai S900 but I agree the S900 had a better spec and that really killed off the Roland.

Mind you, the S series peripherals were indeed very cool. I had the S-330 with mouse, and the RC-100 but not the digitiser... I also had the Director S software and external monitor... it was indeed like a Fairlight... I even bought a load of Roland 3.5 disks with sounds on them... not all were very good I have to say.

The OS was a bit of a kludge... loading individual patches was a pain in the time frame I had it... though I saw the W-30 ( which I bought the next year) had an explicit "Load Patch"... I recall looking at the Roland CD-ROM drive and salivating what those patches must be like.

I honestly don't see a need for such keyboards in these times but they were important in their day...

• Members

No, I'm just fine on the facts. I was actually referring to the S-50 and S-550 -- which were indeed part of the S series -- both of which were 12 bit, and could utilize the DT100 "digitizing tablet." Alles Klar?

I was also very clear about the EPS. I've owned one for, oh, 21 years as of this month. As I said, it has a 16 bit playback capacity ... and it will record samples at 13 bits.

I never saw either S50 or S550, thanks for clearing that up. But the topic of this thread was gear that was cancelled before its time. The LATER S-series were an improvement presumably over those older models you mentioned. So the END POINT wasnt the S550, rather the S-760. Sadly, Roland sampling in now relegated as a sub function in the Fantom.

• Members
You have a point. My standards had severely dropped by the time the G2X arrived. The only action I liked better was my DSI PEK. I agree even the best stuff today can't touch the old stuff.

Yeah, thank god for the revolution. :thu:

Archived