Someone Telling Me Pulling Tubes

!i!i!i!i!i!

• Members

I have a musicman hd130 212 which is very much like a twin. it has 4 el34's in the power amp and 1 12ax7in the pre amp. ive read online on a few boards that bands like the dead kennedys, the sex pistols and a few others had their fender twins tweaked to get more gain. i read that this was accomplished by pulling 2 of the tubes out of the amp. is this true and would it work with my amp? which tubes would you pull? thanks in advance.

• Members

Technically it actually reduces gain, but most guitarist don't really understand gain and just associate it with distortion. Removing two power tubes will cause the remaining power tubes to start to saturate at a slightly lower volume than with all 4 tubes. It roughly cuts the power output in half. Unless you're running the amp VERY loud, it's not really going to make much difference though.

It does change the impedence, but you can correct for this. Just think of the amps impedence as doubling. If it normal expects a 4 ohm load, with 2 tubes pulled you would now want to connect an 8 ohm load to compensate.

• Members

This is a musicman, so it's a solid state pre-amp and valve power amp. That 12AX7 is the phase inverter. Don't expect it to necessarily behave like a 'normal' amp: it certainly won't give you much more gain with 2 valves pulled, and it might fry the output tranny. If you really want more gain then use an overdrive pedal as a booster to slam the front end harder.

Archived