July new gear thread!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

bdub, McHale, what type of events are you playing at to have such a wide variety of covers?

That's our festival set. In the non-winter months, we play town summer fests. And I want to do School's Out by Alice Cooper to kick off our show. :)

• Members

Quite easy - read about Camel Audio Alchemy Player. They install very easily, then Alchemy handles it from there. They're not just samples though - Alchemy is a full-fledged synthesizer, with a lot of bells and whistles. And it sounds GREAT, I'd say it's very comparable to Omnisphere w.r.t. sound quality, although a completely different animal!

I went to the site. I saw the synth. But I didn't see a keyboard. How does it work? Do I connect a controller via MIDI? USB?

I'm definitely interested in this. I liked the arps & synths quite a lot.

I'd probably buy the cinematic CD's too.

• Members

I went to the site. I saw the synth. But I didn't see a keyboard. How does it work? Do I connect a controller via MIDI? USB?

It's a VST instrument, so, yeah, you need a computer and a MIDI controller hooked up to it to play it.

• Members

bdub, McHale, what type of events are you playing at to have such a wide variety of covers?

We have done the occasional festival (played the Northern Virginia Brewfest last weekend), but mostly we play a lot of local clubs. Our stuff is pretty much 80s with a few things thrown in from the 70s.

• Members

I went to the site. I saw the synth. But I didn't see a keyboard.
How does it work? Do I connect a controller via MIDI? USB?

Bienvenue au club!

I thought I was the only one on this forum who doesn't use VSTs. Now we are a whopping TWO!!

Anybody else?

:)

• Members

Bienvenue au club!

I thought I was the only one on this forum who doesn't use VSTs. Now we are a whopping TWO!!

Anybody else?

I don't use VST's either. If it doesn't run in Audio Units (AU), I don't bother.

• Members

Bienvenue au club!

Anybody else?

I dunno. I have Cubase 5.0. I was stupid enough to buy it. I would use it if I could get the MIDI hardware to play back. If that happens - I'll use VST's.

But it ain't happened yet. And it's going on 2 years.

It's ridiculous the s*it I go through to record music.

This year - I've been using the Korg M3m sequencer & paste/mixing it all into Sound Forge 9.0?

In a MIDI crisis I'll open up Voyetra Record Producer (2002 vintage) and sequence with it.

I do it all to avoid navigating Cubase 5.0 MIDI implementation.

It's like trying to navigate a pirogue through the rivers of Hades.

• Members

what are PSTs!!?

also, i got these:

grado_sr80i.png

needed some more compact - type headphones for editing and light mixing on the go that i could actually fit into my backpack. also i like that they're naturally 1/8th inch, this is the connection i need when the mbpro is away from my noise-room.

they sound good, i'm going to continue breaking them in for a few weeks before i do any A/B comparisons to other phones though. my roomate complained of a 'lack of high-end' on them compared to his first gen SR60s, but he didn't really A/B them he just said that so we'll see.

• Members

I have a pair. My only problem with them is that they collect hairs in the sponge pads; then the hair can vibrate with the music and create distortion. Then you have to pull the pads off and pick all the hairs out.

It's a tough life.

• Members

same. i have quite the mane going at the moment, and good portion likes to find its way onto the earmuffs and has created two giant hairballs rather than ear-pads. my hair overdrives really nicely though so i don't mind it so much. has a very nice tube-esque 'break up' .

• Members

same. i have quite the mane going at the moment, and good portion likes to find its way onto the earmuffs and has created two giant hairballs rather than ear-pads. my hair overdrives really nicely though so i don't mind it so much. has a very nice tube-esque 'break up' .

88px-Ephraim-BrankCrop.jpg

• Members

7417437_7533748_290.jpg
Life Insurance
;)
I think this thing may withstand nuclear fallout. Any experience?

I ordered one of these at the same time I ordered by my AX Synth. While it's an OK hard case - don't be too quick to judge how solid it is based on the picture. The black plastic skin is actually pretty thin compated to the SKB keyboard cases I've had in the past. The frame of the case itself is actually pretty flimsy. Such that you really need to have the thing pretty well supported (i.e., laying on a flat, hard surface that supports at least 50% of the area of the case). Anything less and the case distorts pretty wildly - making it difficult to close the and align the latches. Unlike the SKB keyboard cases I've had in the past - I won't be putting this one on the bottom of the pile in the van and stacking stuff on top of it. It will work for what it is - but you should put any thoughts of it being one of those cases that maywithstand nuclear fallout out of your mind!

• Members

impOSCar-2.jpg

This just became available and I bought it but before you go and do the same, wait. I've already hit their tech support with an issue and I've found a few more.

1. The registration code they keep sending me doesn't work. I've checked it several times already. :mad:

2. The manual is no where to be found to read for some assistance. It was downloaded and loaded but finder shows up NOTHING! :mad:

3. Because of the former two problems, one really can't get going on this synth yet because, how to get to some of the other function windows isn't obvious and the thing is stuck in DEMO mode.

• Members

oooh. can you buy an upgrade from imposcar 1? or you just have to buy the whole thing again?

Yes, you can buy an upgrade at about 1/2 the price. That's what I did but I would wait until they resolve the problems I'm having. I'll be sure to post when things are up and running and the fixes involved. Oh, and you only get the upgrade price offer if you registered the first version.

• Members

Ok, I'm now in correspondence with Dave Spiers of GForce.

The manual to impOSCar2 is located in the documents folder on your Apple. You'll have to manually look for it because the Finder for some reason can't locate it if your using Mac OSX 10.6.8.

We are still working on getting the synth out of demo mode.

Update: The problem with getting the synth out of demo mode was with the e-mail font used. The font used in the e-mail has "l" looks like a 1. I changed all the "1's" to "l's" and it finally registered correctly. Be sure to restart the application after registration and verify and repair your permissions and you should be off and enjoying this synth. :)

• Members

That's the most bizarre reason for why wouldn't a serial code work!
:D

Lol. It's the truth. Even Dave couldn't deny the font problem. That's why he sent me the Reg code using another font. ;)

I think he's going to post the manual problem in tech support or iron that out in an update.

• Members

Dave has always been a standup guy. I remember him being around a lot on the threads over @KvR in the old days.

When I kept having trouble intalling my M-Tron, he stayed in correspondence with me until I got it straightened out.

Sent them an email when I installed M-Tron Pro but couldn't get the sound files to load, never heard back, but figured it out from the FAQ.:idk:

Archived